Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

iPad or similar tablet

iPad or similar tablet

I'd like to try a tablet. Really like the 16g iPad, and have spent plenty of time looking at all the different ones when I go out. Figured I'd check here before buying new, didn't know if anyone had something they didn't like or wanted some cash towards an upgrade.
    Thanks!
    -bryan

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: iPad or similar tablet

My wife has a Samsung and it works better than my Ipad. Faster, Better, and cheaper. My 2 cents...

Do you know what model?

My girlfriend absolutely loves her Google Nexus 7. She's an Android phone user to it's intuitive for her. If you're a Mac person then that's a different story.

Jeff

Lifer
    Wirelessly posted

I have a few different ones, the kids can use them all, but the iPad 2 is the best bang for buck for them. Mainly because the battery lasts very very long. I use my own nexus 7, wife uses her note 3. You can get a refurb ipad 2 from.cowboom for about $240 which is the best deal. If you're looking at nexus 7, you can find them for around $150 ish. You'll probably be happy with anything from the big names...

I'm kind of leaning towards the Mac stuff as I'm not too good with computers, and my first smart phone was only last fall, and an iPhone. I really like the new one, just don't know if 16g is enough for apps and Internet use.

Lifer
    Wirelessly posted

Think of it this way...internet isn't going to use up any space. Yes, apps take up space, but if you're filling pages and pages of them...most likely you shouldn't be downloading so many. Now, loading pictures, videos, movies and songs...that's what'll eat up the space. The kids have a few movies downloaded, a lot of pictures and songs, four pages of games...yah that is still not taking up the whole 16gb. If you go with the refurbished route of $240 for and iPad 2/3 you'll be happy. If you go to the store and drop.$500 on a new one which isn't all that much better, id be a little more upset

So spent a couple nights doing homework, and trying to find a place that sells refurbished iPads. But I have another question someone may be able to help me with. While searching the interwebs, I've seen some labeled "iPad 16g with retina display", and some labeled "iPad 16g with retina display and wifi", also the ones with cellular. I don't need cellular, but I assumed all iPads could access the Internet. Is that correct or do I have to get the wifi specific model?

Lifer
    Wirelessly posted

Correct, it's either a regular iPad or one with cellular. They are moving models around, so the iPad 2 is sometimes really the 3. Again, watch at cowboom, they clear them out pretty cheap every few months.

Eg now:
    Mc9166ll/a. Is a 64gb with coupon code 7825592. For.$209.99. Damn I almost want to buy another...

But do both have wifi capability? Some say wifi and cellular, some day wifi, and some don't say either.

Lifer
    Wirelessly posted

Yes, every tablet has wifi by default.. the only add on is the cellular...and memory size.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Mission accomplished, got a great deal on a 4th gen with 32g. Thanks for all the advice!

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Where did you wind up buying. Looking for one for my Mom.

I went to best buy to see what they had for refurbished iPads. They didn't have any refurbs, but did have some open box items. This one was in that section but a 32g, and had a sticker stating that it had scratches on the back. He asked if I'd be interested if he could do it for the same price as a 16g, and I was fine with that depending on how bad the scratches were. They opened the sealed box (gets resealed after the geek squad inspects it), and it ended up being scratch free! Not a big fan of the big box stores, but it worked in my favor this time.

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Nice. Good score. Maybe I'll check out the big box route.