Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Riding with Thumb Ligament Tear

Riding with Thumb Ligament Tear

Anyone torn / partially torn their ulnar collateral ligament in their thumb and had issues riding? Mine was torn approximately 95% through on Feb 2nd and immobilized for 7 weeks without surgery. Being an athletic trainer I know I will always have laxity issues in the thumb , but noticing during riding that there is a constant pain still (joint shifts but that is always going to happen unless I have surgery to replace ligament, no thanks). It's my clutch hand so not pressured constantly, but shooting pains when shift. Anybody had this issue and found a solid fix to it? If all else then I am going athletic trainer on my thumb and taping the bitch before riding

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by aprilb; 04-18-14 at 03:12 PM.
    2016 Ninja 650

Have you seen my baseball GingahNinjah's Avatar

Re: Riding with Thumb Ligament Tear

Sounds like surgery would actually be a solid way to go... Good luck

https://www.facebook.com/LRRSBT1R #54 EX 2007 SV650 "Work hard. Play harder. Die broke and happy!" Boston Tier 1 Racing Pirelli Tires Woodcraft-CFM Armorbodies Penguin Racing School Vortex Shorai Batteries DP Brakes Riders Discount SIDI Leatt

Clutchless upshifts would help a little bit

Eatibus almost anythingus Marc R's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by khanlon View Post
    Clutchless upshifts would help a little bit
    +1

the 250cc makes it even easier to learn clutchless upshifts. You can refine this skill and upshift at 8000-9000 rpm on the 250cc (no holigan riding required).

Quote Originally Posted by Marc R View Post
    +1

the 250cc makes it even easier to learn clutchless upshifts. You can refine this skill and upshift at 8000-9000 rpm on the 250cc (no holigan riding required).
    Never tried it since I've only been riding a year. Guess it will be something to look into and learn!

2016 Ninja 650

Eatibus almost anythingus Marc R's Avatar

With the right info, it's not too early. Certainly do your research, and once you're clear on the steps involved, try it on a quiet road or large parking lot.

Lee Parks' book Total Control has about four pages on shifting. That's what got me started.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Marc R View Post
    With the right info, it's not too early. Certainly do your research, and once you're clear on the steps involved, try it on a quiet road or large parking lot.

Lee Parks' book Total Control has about four pages on shifting. That's what got me started.
    Good book on riding technique. Clutchless up shifting is definitely an easy skill to learn on a motorcycle. It's easier than using the clutch.

Could also look into auto bikes when upgrading like a maxi scooter(silver wing, burgman). Some bikes can break the speed limit on the highway in 1st so you'd only really need the clutch when coming to a stop.

a dozen years ago, I broke my left thumb at the base, had a cast that immobilized my thumb and wrist, still had limited use of fingers, when riding, I did a lot more clutchless shifting than usual, but hardest part of riding was fitting the cast with my thumb sticking out perpendicular thru my jacket sleeve

instead of squeezing the clutch lever I had to use my fingers as a hook and pull it back with my arm

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (GS3)

Clutchless shifting is easy. Put some pressure on the shift lever and then quickly close then open the throttle. When you close the throttle it removes pressure from the transmission/clutch momentarily, just enough time to click a gear. Its easier to practice at higher gears. I would say 3rd gear and up. So the highway or a road with a relatively high speed limit. Once you get the hang of the timing youll only need tbe clutch when stopped.
    clutchless downshifts are also possible but can be trickier since you have to blip the throttle.You can also just keep pressure on the shifter when slowing down. Theres a point where the rpms of the engine and the trans kinda mat h and theres little to no pressure on the trans. Id say around 2500rpms usually. This is easy to test since you just have to push down on the lever. Just be prepared for sudden engine braking as it downshifts.
    In other news...you shoulda just got it fixed in feb.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by SVRACER01; 04-20-14 at 11:34 AM.
    When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

have you tried some sort of support other than taping it? this look like it would stop it from over extending?

http://www.braceshop.com/m-brace-thumb-splint.htm

Last edited by scubasteveRR; 04-21-14 at 12:17 AM.

Lot of the times, the angle of your wrist/hand to the lever is pretty important. I have had a few undiagnosed "shit, I can't pick things up anymore" when hurting my thumb internals, so I know your feeling. Most of the time and adjustment of the angle of the lever helped me until the many months later when I regained most of my strength.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport