Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Turkey Run?

Turkey Run?

So, I did some poking around on NEDB but I'll ask here... Got my 200 smoker plated this year, so I'm thinking about giving the Hoot owl/Bill Hallson event a shot this weekend.

I'm seeing that a route sheet holder is probably something I want. I dont have one, so can I get along without it? I also dont have a way to track mileage on the bike, so maybe a sheet holder wouldnt even be much use.

How strict is the tech inspection? Ive got a Mass reg/insurance and full street lighting. About the only things i'm lacking is DOT tires, spark arrestor and inspection sticker. My gut tells me I'd probably be fine.

Anyone else planning to do the Hoot Owl Run? I'll be by myself, if you or your group wouldn't mind me tagging along that'd be cool.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by TripleTaco; 04-23-14 at 07:59 AM.
    '96 DR350SE
    '00 KTM 200exc

'07 Speed Triple - sold
    '98 YZ125 - sold

Re: Turkey Run?

You'll probably be ok. I can't make this one, but they've all been arrowed well, the tr's that I've done.
    I missed saying what up the other day in Swansea, have fun out there.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

You can get by without a route sheet holder if you follow a group of people that have at least one. If you get separated though, you will be hosed. Even without an odometer, there is usually enough information on the sheet to figure out the route as long as your spacial awareness is somewhat functional.

I've never had a problem with non DOT tires so you will most likely get through tech without them being checked. What you do risk, along with not having an inspection sticker, is being pulled over by the police on one of the road sections where you definitely can be ticketed if the officer notices and doesn't like you.

I'm not sure how strict they are about spark arrestors in the RI/CT area but I've seen people turned away in NH for not having one. NH is particularly anal about forest fires since pretty much everything of historical significance has burned in the past.

I can't make this event but I plan on making it to several other ones.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Lifer

I will be there. My older brother and another good friend will be riding the event with me. You are welcome to join us - but we are all very experienced older guys - 53, 57, and 62. You can find me in the pits - my various screen names are posted on my front number plate. Other folks here have easily recognized me by my old, white, open face helmet. It kind of stands out in the crowd. :-)
    GregP - 2012 KTM350 EXC-F.

Lifer

As far as your other questions go - you will be fine as long as you license and reg are good.

Most places that sell dirt bikes, will probably have a rout sheet holder in stock, they are not that expensive. Bring something to cut up the rt sheet, and some clear packing tape to tape it together and make it water proof. A trick I was taught last year, before you tape it together, mark out the important stops/sections with a highlight marker, it'll be easier to see and break it down into sections. I saw a few guys at the Rhody Enduro last year that didn't have rt sheet holders and made it fine. Not the most reliable system, but one guy had it taped up so it was waterproof, and taped it to the handlebars in sections. Another, was a guy that still had the older style bars with the center bar pad, just taped one end to the bar pad and spun the pad as needed.

As for the sparky, they will be required. Will they check is another question. It's simple to make your own, get some metal window screen from home depo, and a hose clamp that fits around your exhaust. Just clamp the screen over the end of you pipe, and call it a day. Unlikely they will check for DOT tires, or working lights

Yamaha

Lifer

I had broken all of my old RSH's, so I bought a new BZR one from a guy on NEDB. It cost $60, but it is super HD. When I was inquiring about buying it, one of the members posted "Who uses a RSH anymore?", which got me thinking - With modern GPS technology, what are people doing electronically these days? Can you get a GPS card instead of a RS at sign up?

https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/...34438882_n.jpg

Thanks for all the info guys.

Chipper, I'll look for ya at the next PSTR event to say hello. I think you met my girlfriend in Swansea?

Greg, thanks for the invite. The ole' white open face shouldn't be hard to spot. As for your GPS question, I imagine a .GPX file is the modern equivalent of a route sheet. I dont own a gps unit with the capability but as I understand it a .GPX is the universal route data file type for all (most?) gps units.

'96 DR350SE
    '00 KTM 200exc

'07 Speed Triple - sold
    '98 YZ125 - sold

I did, yeah. Scooter introduced us.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Lifer

...but those little cards are not cheap...well, they cost more than a single sheet of paper. I will definitely pay attention to see if there are other forms of route sheets offered at this event. I do have a Garmin E-Trex 20 that I could use, but the screen is pretty small so it might be difficult to read on the fly.
    I hope to meet you there, TT.

Lifer

It was nice to ride with you, TT. Check out some video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR5TIFegOXI

Part 2:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipk7Lt2zkkA

Last edited by gregp; 04-27-14 at 09:06 PM.

It always amazes me how clean your bike is Greg. I have permanent dirt stains on my gas tank that won't scrub out.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

So Kale, was it fun? I've yet to ride one.

Quote Originally Posted by slowkermit View Post
    So Kale, was it fun? I've yet to ride one.

I had a blast. Its great zipping down the streets, hopping in and out of trails. I cant speak of other events but this one was arrowed well and had a great mix of terrain. This route was a bit unusually short due to last minute landowner issue but we just did the loop twice. The first loop took about 2 hrs, then we hit the pits where the Hoot Owl club had a hot meal waiting, then back out for another loop. I'll be doing another for sure.

'96 DR350SE
    '00 KTM 200exc

'07 Speed Triple - sold
    '98 YZ125 - sold

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

that guy needs to turn his blinker off

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Lifer

BTW - That guy is 62! He has raced with many famous racers of the '60's and '70's - Pomeroy, Wienert, etc. He has an MX, Flat Track, and Trials background. He has amazing stories, and he rides like he is half his age!
    His KTM200 is lowered so that he can dab when necessary. I love riding with him.

Just watched some of the video footage. Looks like a blast to me! Glad you guys had a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    BTW - That guy is 62!
    explains why his blinker was on

TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

That's my kind of ride.

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

cant make the thrill and chill this weekend but im hoping to make one of next ones that NETRA has coming up.
    anyone else got plans to attend any of them? it would be more fun to ride with a few people

I had wanted to do the Thrill & Chill but I'm not sure I can make it. I will be hitting at least a couple more of these though. September is packed! (TR's every weekend plus harescrambles ect.) The last TR of the season is right down the street from me in Wrentham, so I imagine I'll hit that one too.

'96 DR350SE
    '00 KTM 200exc

'07 Speed Triple - sold
    '98 YZ125 - sold

Lifer

Kale - Bob and I are hitting the TnC this Sunday, if you would like to join us.

Lifer

The Thrill & Chill Turkey Run was *amazing*. The entire 1st section - before lunch - was all dirt and sand! There was a lot of carnage, and we saw a whole bunch of people on the side of the trail. I suspect that many had enough by lunchtime. TripleTaco, Bob, and I pressed on and rode the entire event. Section 3 was like a 10 mile long Hero section! There was less road/dirt road mileage in this event than most others. We definitely got our money's worth!

Lifer

Lifer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast