Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Tire Buying Frustration!

Tire Buying Frustration!

Apparently buying tires for my Ninja 250 is a bit more difficult than I expected! I really like the Michelin Pilot Roads 2 or 3, but I can only find the front tire in the correct size. I found a Pilot Street Radial tire in the correct size, but unsure if mixing a Michelin Pilot Road 2 or 3 front tire (price diff between the 2 and newer 3 is only $5) with a Pilot Street Radial tire on the rear is against "motorcycle rules"? Thoughts? Suggestions on tires for a Ninja 250 (2009)? The Iglu will hopefully be able to help me too since I work at the same place as him, but frustrated at the moment trying to do this on my own and not having success!!

On the up side, I changed my own oil 2 weeks ago! And a friend taught me how to change the oil filter. So next time that is all me without any help, I am working towards being semi-independent in terms of maintenance for my bike.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2016 Ninja 650

Re: Tire Buying Frustration!

Nah, not really against the rules.
    I think bridgestone has some decent sporty-ish rubber in that size, I expect kurlon to chime in any second.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

For those I always went with the pirelli sport demons if I remember correctly.

Oh wait...this one has 17" rims...nevermind.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Good for you April.

I know nothing about these particular bikes, but wouldn't worry too much about mixing tires or even brands for street level riding. I don't even replace mine in pairs unless they happen to both be done at the same time.

Lifer

What sizes are you looking for? Wiki says 110/70R17 front and 130/70R17 rear.

Looks like the BATTLAX BT-45 sport-touring tire is available in that size rear. I just put a BT-023 on my toy and am happy so far.

I think the Pilot Street is designed for your application. Sounds like it is basically a single compound Road 2. I would not be afraid of running that tire. I love my Road2's and 3's. Fantastic tire.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    What sizes are you looking for? Wiki says 110/70R17 front and 130/70R17 rear.

Looks like the BATTLAX BT-45 sport-touring tire is available in that size rear. I just put a BT-023 on my toy and am happy so far.

I think the Pilot Street is designed for your application. Sounds like it is basically a single compound Road 2. I would not be afraid of running that tire. I love my Road2's and 3's. Fantastic tire.

The front is 110/70-17 and the rear is 130/70-17. Finding the front in the correct size was easy, but finding the rear has been more than frustrating in regards to finding a pair. Guess I really do have an itty-bitty for a bike, LOL. I'll check out the BATTLAX ones. Never heard of them, but new to the tire buying thing so I figure there's a lot I haven't heard of

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    Good for you April.

I know nothing about these particular bikes, but wouldn't worry too much about mixing tires or even brands for street level riding. I don't even replace mine in pairs unless they happen to both be done at the same time.
    I purchased the bike last June and it's a 2009 with original tires. Figured I'd be on the safe side and change them both before the riding season hits full force. I'm headed to the Gap with Iglu and several of the other guys in June and would prefer new tires on the Grasshoppah than almost 5 year old tires.

2016 Ninja 650

Lifer

Battlax is to Bridgestone as Pilot is to Michelin. Common tire, one of the big manufacturers.
    Bridgestone seems to be one of the cheaper of the big mainstream manufacturers. I've seen some shun them. Do not (yet) think it is warranted. As I say, I just put a pair on one of my bikes.

I hear you on the rear fitment issues. I had some problems finding a rear for my KLX as well.

Read up on the Interwebz.. can you go to a 140 or 150/70R17? If so, many more options. I am running a 150/70R17 on my KLX for this reason.

New tires for the Gap trip is a wise, wise move!

Last edited by nhbubba; 04-24-14 at 07:26 PM.

Fair argument April. While you are doing it please check the valve stems. When I purchased my 08 in 11 within 2 months I had both stems fail (in separate incidents). Tires were technically fine until the valve stems failed at speed. When that happened I ruined the tires.

Bike bandit seems to have the PR3s to fit... http://www.bikebandit.com/michelin-p...-tire?m=148821

Had Bt45 on my ninja 250. Worked pretty good. Ninjette.org is a good resource too.

2013 ZX6R-636

My girlfriend ended up getting Contis for her 250. I forget which ones but they're awesome for the price.

LRRS AM#721 / RSP Racing / MTAG Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear
    2003 Honda CBR600RR / 2009 Kawasaki ER6N / 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    Fair argument April. While you are doing it please check the valve stems. When I purchased my 08 in 11 within 2 months I had both stems fail (in separate incidents). Tires were technically fine until the valve stems failed at speed. When that happened I ruined the tires.

Bike bandit seems to have the PR3s to fit... http://www.bikebandit.com/michelin-p...-tire?m=148821
    I have actually already purchased 90 degree valve stems from PJsparts.com in anticipation for new tires. Hate how difficult it is to fill tires now with current valve stems so figured I'd make like easier with 90 degree valve stems and make things safer with new valve stems. Right now I'm checking air before every ride because the pressures have been below what should be.

I will check out the bike bandit site, thanks!

2016 Ninja 650

The Bridgestone Battlax BT45 is a BIAS ply tire. Not a good idea to mix with radials, unusual handling may result. I would definitely go with radials if you can, better ride and longer life.
    The BT54 is a radial and is available in both your sizes per Bridgestone's website. However there are probably other better choices.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Such as the Pilot street that the OP originally mentioned, available for front and rear. And yes, I would have no qualms running a Pilot Road 3 in front and a Pilot Street on the rear, as you initially suggested.

P.S.: Michelin needs a smack for their confusing as hell tire names. Great tires, awful lack of clarity.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Quote Originally Posted by aprilb View Post
    The Iglu
    Haha. Next time he acts himself (goofy) say to him "Your so rambunctious". He loves that.

Bias vs. radial is a great point Doug. I don't even acknowledge that bias ply exists, but it is important, especially in this class of tire.

I'm currently running a rear tire that, on the track, was a failure and scared me. So far... In street situations it has performed adequately. I don't like this tire. I want to get rid of it. I'm too cheap to do so until I've at least worn through more of it than I have now. With plenty of time to scrub it in on the track it was still slippy. With even more time to press it on the street it has performed adequately.

I will never purchase this tire again. I've become extremely comfortable in running it in typical Street situations. Unless you are really pushing on the street I'm reasonably sure that "almost" anything that fits will be OK.

You're going to the gap. That's awesome. Confidence will help.

Many people love the PR3s. For my ride there is no substitute for the Avons. Find something that fits and makes you confident. Put them on and ride them to death. If you start melting them, maybe it's time to reevaluate.

OK. Apologies. "someone" mentioned a couple of errors in my post. I agree with the errors.

First off "ride them to death" isn't a great statement. I actually meant ride them until the tire is done... Not until you are done. "Ride them until you become uncomfortable" is more appropriate. Check the tire as you go. The wear on the tire can tell you a lot about how you are using it. If you ride hard enough to produce any significant wear patterns plea post them.

The "for my ride" comment is based on my 900 lb bike (which is significantly different than your 250) and my tire choice may not even be available.

I'll stand by get whatever makes you comfortable. If that costs you an extra $30 dollars, well that's life. You can't substitute money for comfort (in my opinion).

I'll also add that "mostly" failure is with the rider rather than the tire. That said there are tires that can be pushed harder in specific situations than other tires. There is a great deal of variability here. For my street bike I have run multiple versions of Dunlop of both front and rear and will never do so again. I also hear a number of track people who love the Dunlop track tires. I'm not wrong. They aren't either. It becomes about using the correct tool for the job.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by carsick View Post
    The Bridgestone Battlax BT45 is a BIAS ply tire. Not a good idea to mix with radials, unusual handling may result.
    Good catch! Like Jason, I tend to think like bias tires are not even offered anymore and assume all are radials. Clearly not the best assumption.

I believe we now carry tires for your bike. With all the new 250 and 300s on the market pirelli made some sticky rubber for them.

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

I ran Pirelli Sport Demons on my EX500, it also used 110F, 130R. I got 16k worth of highway commuting miles out of the rear, front still had plenty left.

She got the Michelins ordered last night.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

here is your gold

BATTLAX BT-39 compound is made to give strong dry grip. Also, Silica is added for wet performance.

http://www.bridgestone.com/products/...tlax/bt39.html

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Why all the love for bias ply?

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by nt650hawk View Post
    here is your gold

BATTLAX BT-39 compound is made to give strong dry grip. Also, Silica is added for wet performance.

http://www.bridgestone.com/products/...tlax/bt39.html
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Why all the love for bias ply?
    Contingency money!! Might not apply to the OP.

Thanks for all the thoughts, ideas, suggestions, and guidance! I learned a bit about tires from reading it all!

I was able to order the Michelin Pilot Street Radials from motorcycle superstore last night, phew! I guess it just took a little help from a few of you guys. Now to get my bike over to get the tires put on the bike .... oh, I might want to get it inspected too since I changed the plates from NH to MA about month ago! Oops

2016 Ninja 650