Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WTB - 5x8 enclosed trailer

WTB - 5x8 enclosed trailer

Looking for an enclosed trailer to get my toys to the track. Tired of packing and unpacking my gear and maybe it'll even save me from pitching a tent if I can put a cot in it once the bikes are unloaded.

I *think* I can fit a street bike and a motard in something about that size. Figure a 5x8 might be tight but would work (worst case I might have to install the chocks / mounts so that one of the bikes rides backwards).

Can't go bigger b/c my car has a 2,000 lb towing limit. (GSX-R weighs in at ~355 lbs and KTM 520SX at ~230 lbs)

Bonus if the trailer has:
    1. V-nose
    2. Ramp back door
    3. Side door
    4. Installed pit-bull trailer restraint(s) or at least Chocks / tie-downs

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: WTB - 5x8 enclosed trailer

I put my cbr1K and KTM in a 5x8. It's tight but you can do it. Queen size blow up mattress is a near perfect fit.

Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

You can carry 2 street bikes in a 5x8. Put one forward and one backward. PITA to load but it works.

Towing two 848s up to the kanc right now in one, stagger the chocks and its easy to fit two plus gear

LRRS EX #473
    Thanks to my 2017 sponsors: Dunlop, Sidi, Woodcraft, Bell

This looks mint. Not sure of the brand/model, I stopped researching trailers last month after I bought mine.

http://capecod.craigslist.org/mcy/4457102795.html

[SIGPIhttp://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic8737_4.gifC][/SIGPIC]

^^ That's the same one I have. Aluminum frame = SUPER lite!! + it wont rust.

Is the aluminum frame the reason it's $2,900 when I'm seeing new 5x8's for ~$1,600 (less if you buy factory direct someplace like Atlanta).

I don't mind spending a little more for a good trailer, but the prices are sorry of all over and I don't understand the differences.

"Where are we going?...and why am I in this handbasket?"
    LRRS 919
    '12 Ducati 1199 Panigale (track) '08 Honda CRF 250 (ice) '02 KTM 520 SX Supermoto (track)

Yes the reason it is more is because it is aluminum. The entire trailer is aluminum, making it weigh quite a bit less.

its in my blood

I wonder if my lunch box of an suv could tow that if its aluminum. I think I'm rated at 1500 lbs.. I might have to do a 4x8 enclosed. Right now I have a 4x8 open.. can't stand loading and unloading

I towed my trailer (same exact one as this) with my 04 WRX all the way from NY to NHIS (taking the mountain route). The car didn't like it, but she did it.

its in my blood

Quote Originally Posted by Brendin87 View Post
    I towed my trailer (same exact one as this) with my 04 WRX all the way from NY to NHIS (taking the mountain route). The car didn't like it, but she did it.
    Holy Shit!!!!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by caloots View Post
    I wonder if my lunch box of an suv could tow that if its aluminum. I think I'm rated at 1500 lbs.. I might have to do a 4x8 enclosed. Right now I have a 4x8 open.. can't stand loading and unloading
    Most of the enclosed 5x8's are around 850 lbs, so you should be able to tow it with plenty of gear if you're rated at 1,500.

There seems
    to be a perception that enclosed trailers are super heavy because they're so bulky but they're not as heavy as you'd think..

"Where are we going?...and why am I in this handbasket?"
    LRRS 919
    '12 Ducati 1199 Panigale (track) '08 Honda CRF 250 (ice) '02 KTM 520 SX Supermoto (track)

its in my blood

I hope you're right!!! If so..I'm gonna start looking!!!

Bump...still looking.

I'm definitely thinking of an enclosed trailer for next season too. My tow limit is 2000lbs (Volvo C30, I'm surprised it's actually that high..lol) I just came across this 4x6 enclosed trailer video. Looks good and has great features BUT the obvious downsides are that you can't stand completely up in it and there's less space for sleeping inside. Haha. I love the idea of getting the smallest enclosed trailer I can find though (minus the loading headaches)....and actually this particular company has the highest ceiling of any of the other 4X6's out there. Having said all that I'm still leaning towards a 5X8, I just like to do my due diligence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCtnCO46y1c

[SIGPIhttp://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic8737_4.gifC][/SIGPIC]

Unless you get a KILLER deal, don't even bother with one w/o a side door. Especially if you are putting two bikes in it...it is no fun getting gear in/out of in front of the bikes w/o the side access (plus it's easier for "living" at the track).

Also, there is an outfit in NJ that sells 5x10's. Weighs about 200# more than a comparable 5x8, but the storage difference is remarkable. My 5x10 V nose retailed at $2200 from them.

Bill Cool --- NEMRR EX #8 --- 2023 NEMRR GTO Champion, 2020-21 LRRS LWSS Champion --- RSP Racing / TTD / MTAG-Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / Seacoast Sport Cycle

its in my blood

Awesome.. you know the name of the place?

hmm...Didn't think of the side door. Mustang, what about barn doors versus a door that folds down and becomes the actual ramp? Do barn doors have any advantages? I know I'll have to then keep a loading ramp handy....Lol

Bump. Looks like I missed one or two that were for sale...

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
    Unless you get a KILLER deal, don't even bother with one w/o a side door.
    I agree that the side door would be super-helpful. Any idea how much it would be to retrofit a trailer with one? or is it totally not worth it? Just using that as my baseline for just how good a "killer deal" would need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
    ...there is an outfit in NJ that sells 5x10's...My 5x10 V nose retailed at $2200 from them.
    Any more info? Is this "crossroads trailers"? For $2,200, doesn't sound like it's all aluminum, which based on towing capacity I think I'd need if I was going to the 5x10 size.

I live in Boston, and saw a bunch of all aluminum trailers in Loudon from http://nhtrailers.com/ It's less than 2 hours away from me - downside of buying new being cost and the 4-6 weeks their website is quoting to build a trailer they don't have in stock. Upside is I can have it built with whatever options I want.

I have a barn door on my 6x10 and use a single width aluminum ramp to load. No skin off my nose but if I would have bought new I would have opted for ramp door. Ramp door option is usually several hundred dollars more expensive. Loading/unloading motorcycles it makes no difference but if you want it for dual duty (rolling in/out large tool boxes, for example) a full width ramp makes a big difference in convenience. Side door is a huge plus. When I load 2 bikes in my trailer it's a major pain to strap the front end down on the 2nd bike. Literally have to crawl on top of one to get at the other.

Aluminum doesn't save you a huge amount of weight because they have to use substantially more material to make it as strong as the steel frame. The biggest difference with aluminum is anti corrosion. Not a small consideration in New England. That, and they look super blingy.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

From ArticRubi's trailer build thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Ductard View Post
    Would you mind elaborating on that a little bit? It turns out the CargoPro trailer I'm looking at has luan walls.

That could be the reason it's 250 lbs lighter than the comparable Proline trailer and $200 cheaper (currently $600 cheaper b/c it's on sale - and Proline isn't willing to discount off their price even knowing that I'm deciding between them and a cheaper option, I already asked).
    Luan will not support e-tracking or any type of impact (such as a handlebar) without breaking or puncturing. Yes it does reduce weight and I'm sure it's used, at least in part, to keep trailer weights down and cost is likely another deciding factor as to why some mfg's use it.

Plan on replacing it with something a bit more robust.

Quote Originally Posted by Ductard View Post
    (GSX-R weighs in at ~355 lbs)
    FYI, it's around 390 with 1.5 gallons of fuel in the tank.
    my bike gets weighed 4x every ASRA round

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    FYI, it's around 390 with 1.5 gallons of fuel in the tank.
    my bike gets weighed 4x every ASRA round
    I would go crazy trying to lighten it for each round if I constantly had to look at the weight.

Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by Dove View Post
    I would go crazy trying to lighten it for each round if I constantly had to look at the weight.
    it's part of the ASRA rules. the 600 class has a 355 pound minimum weight. the 1000 class has a minimum 375 pound weight. they weigh everyone after the qualify session, and then the top 5 after the race. My 06/07 GSX-R 600 is between 390 - 400 depending how much fuel i used in that session. And my bike has been stripped down to save weight.

Last edited by Jim; 08-07-14 at 01:29 PM.
    EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast