Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Where to go on motorcycle using 10 days off

Where to go on motorcycle using 10 days off

I kept the first two weeks of August open on my calendar to host relatives at my house who now cannot come. Now I have two weeks, coming up very shortly, with which to do whatever I please, within reason. Airfares are high right now and so are crowds in popular resort destinations, so I'm ruling out air travel.

I have a Harley Road King that handles distance well. Have a sport touring bike too. I'm thinking maybe I should just grab my backpack with camping gear and some clothes, and aim one of those bikes somewhere. Probably the Harley, so I can still walk when I'm done.

I don't mind doing things solo (or with others), roughing it, and camping.

I do mind traffic, tourist traps, blowing ungodly amounts of money on things that can't be resold for a similar amount later, cops hassling me, strict schedules on vacation, and crowds. Not a huge fan of long straight boring roads on the bike, but I'd travel them for the right destination. So the question is: where to aim the bike, if I do this at all?

Where would you go on a bike, with a blank slate and the first 10-14 days of August to use? For some reason I'm thinking Montana or Wyoming. Those might be too far for the time allotted...Or maybe Canada somewhere? I'm over it as far as the entire US east coast is concerned, at least any of it to our south, in the summer...I could take a car instead, maybe explore Nova Scotia with surfboards and fishing poles or something like that

Ideas?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Imbeek; 07-24-14 at 10:27 AM.

Re: Where to go on motorcycle using 10 days off

If you haven't been, Vermont is very nice on a bike along with the northern part of NY on the Vermont border.

Somewhere i have never been but would love to go would be Nova Scotia. Neither destination is really a 10 day trip though.

Good luck!

Corey

I would do a four day trip south or west. Stay the night and come home. I've seen a lot of New England and have been wanting to explore further than PA on two wheels. I just rarely have the time to even consider it.

I would hit Nova Scotia and do the loop around Cape Breton

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Destroy, Erase, Improve

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

love Quebec City

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Make a loop of the US? Go west over the northern US, come back east over the southern US.

Last edited by SRTie4k; 07-24-14 at 11:26 AM.
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

I'd head straight for Deal's Gap. Rent a small cabin. Swim all day, ride in the morning and evening. Best 10 days I can imagine.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

I'd say up through Quebec city for a day or two, then the Gaspe Peninsula, or jump on the Ferry and head to Nova Scotia for a few days.

Lifer

Canada. Vermont. The 'daks'. All on my list.
    Also high on my list is going back to CA and renting a bike to do something else, maybe PCH from SD to Portland.
    I'm told I am supposed to add three weeks riding the "ring road" in Iceland to that list.

I think that list is vaguely in order, budget wise.

Liking some of these ideas...

Let's see, so far:
    (Serious questions/comments because I am considering these options, not trying to be a wiseass contrarian)

Upstate NY and Vermont: went to college in Potsdam NY and as lifelong skier/snowboarder I have covered most of VT. Might still do it, but they wouldn't be "new" areas to discover

Quebec City: what's to do there that makes it worth going solo to someplace called "city" rather than staying out of the fray, so to speak? I like that it might coincide with checking out Nova Scotia, like that a lot...especially since the Maine turnpike is a far less than exciting ride.

Falco: which Ferry to NS? I've been on one before, I think out of Gloucester or similar, but I'm sure you aren't referring to that one.

Deals gap: I like this idea, never been there, but it seems like this particular trip would be something that would be much more fun to do with riding buddies, and I hate being hassled by cops. Plus I'd like to ride those roads on a different bike than the one I'd like to ride to and from...thinking I might leave this one on the bucket list to go with a group sometime in the next 2-3 years. OR hit it on the way thru from someplace else on this trip. Clayton, I know you have been there and love this place, but do you think you would love it as much on a solo trip? Or is most of the fun trying to lose/keep up with your riding buddies?

Loop of the US...is that even remotely possible in 2 weeks? Sounds intriguing, if exhausting; anyone here done this, and how long did you take? Maybe I could extend a day or three on one or both ends. This actually sounds badass, I just question whether I have enough time. I guess it all comes done to how many hours I will be willing to spend in the seat. I'm gonna start doing some calculations on this one

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    I'd head straight for Deal's Gap. Rent a small cabin. Swim all day, ride in the morning and evening. Best 10 days I can imagine.
    This, plus throw in the Catskills and Poconos sounds great to me.

Quote Originally Posted by duganc1717 View Post
    This, plus throw in the Catskills and Poconos sounds great to me.
    Hmm, yeah, those plus deals gap I could take the sv with bags, wear full leathers for the good roads, and ride a bit less miles per day, rather than the "beeline it down there to relax while there" method...

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Don't forget PEI, Newfoundland and perhaps Labrador. Ride up the coast of Maine and New Brunswick to get to PEI, ride there and maybe take a break from riding and grab a ferry to Nova Scotia. Ride the Cabot trail there, then take the ferry to Newfoundland (I prefer the west end of the island, so take the shorter ferry ride to Port Aux Basques, not Argentia), ride up the west coast then take the ferry to Quebec and come home via the the Lower North shore (route 138) of Quebec. If possible, make a side trip Labrador since it's sooo close to the Quebec ferry landing. Take all back roads whenever possible (impossible not to in many areas mentioned....) Bring warm clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    Hmm, yeah, those plus deals gap I could take the sv with bags, wear full leathers for the good roads, and ride a bit less miles per day, rather than the "beeline it down there to relax while there" method...
    There ya go!

Take the blue ridge down...

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

I'd do deals gap
    I've been to canada and I prefer America
    Everything gets really expensive when you cross the border.
    If it were me with two weeks I would take the harley and go to sturgis

eat me

http://www.bookmoto.com/mt-indianapo...aZYaAnlT8P8HAQ

roadtrip to watch motogp at Indy 8/8 - 8/10.

Anywhere and everywhere in the Great Smokey Mountains. You won't need a friend in order to enjoy the ride.

Wow so many cool ideas already...
    Sturgis is during my window
    Oshkosh is early in my window (AWESOME spectacle but been there already)
    Motogp Indy is during my window...hmmm and not impossibly far from great roads mentioned above. THIS had not occurred to me. Bucket list item, check?

Or I could ride "all the way" west, leave one of my too many bikes at my Mom's in Olympia, WA, for future PCH rides, and fly back. Doable in 2+ weeks, I think, and there is surf this time of year in Oregon (left a board there already)

Thanks everyone for the input, much appreciated and more still welcome.
    LOL this is starting to feel like having too many bikes...good problem to have, but which one to ride?

Last edited by Imbeek; 07-24-14 at 01:16 PM.

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

Atlantic Canada, for sure. The Gaspe Peninsula is fabulous.
    http://www.quebecmaritime.ca/en/plan...-gaspesie-tour
    Check the "motorcycling" links to the right of the page.

Last edited by whynot; 07-24-14 at 01:04 PM.
    And don't believe everything you think.

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    Ride the Cabot trail there, then take the ferry to Newfoundland (I prefer the west end of the island, so take the shorter ferry ride to Port Aux Basques, not Argentia), ride up the west coast then take the ferry to Quebec and come home via the the Lower North shore (route 138) of Quebec.
    That actually doesn't work. Rt 138 doesn't connect from Blanc Sablon through to Natashquan. The only way to ride from the Newfoundland ferry to the Quebec City area is via the Trans-Labrador Highway, which I would strongly discourage on a Harley.

Overall though, I agree with the sentiment. 10-14 days in August is perfect timing to ride up through Nova Scotia, take the ferry to Port-aux-Basques, Newfoundland, spend 5 or 6 days exploring The Rock, then take the Argentia ferry back to Cape Breton (I wouldn't bother with the crossing to Blanc Sablon unless you decided to take an ADV bike and ride the Trans-Lab). Ride the Cabot Trail, then head over to PEI, then up to the Gaspé peninsula. Take the ferry from Matane to Baie-Comeau, ride along the north shore of the St Lawrence, take Rt 172 up along the Saguenay fjord, ride Rt 381 from La Baie to St Urbain, then continue along the north shore of the St Lawrence to Quebec City. From there, head homewards through NH or Vermont.

If you want to see lots of photos of Newfoundland, check out my Labrador/Newfoundland ride report: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=823825

Trust me, you will not regret doing that trip.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Another vote for Nova Scotia cause its August

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Thighland is nice.

Lifer

Vt to Montreal to Quebec to Labrador down into Maine cut across nh then back home.

fwiw, I've ridden back and forth to Deals Gap 6 times (1200 miles one way) on my SV650, I have only trucked down twice and except for the first trip, the ride down and back was solo. While I did stay there with the group, most days I went out and explored on my own

all the times I have traveled there, I have never been hassled by the cops

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Lifer

I covered 5700 miles in 13 days two years ago on a VFR. You have to know you're seat time tolerance and preference for riding vs. sightseeing. I stuck to two lanes unless I was headed point to point. Went San Diego to Boston, including the entire Cali coast, east to MN, south to Deal's Gap and BRP north to home.

Last year out around Lake Michigan and back through Canada, 3300 miles in 6 days.

Thinking about Gaspe this year, but also the GAp and maybe even north to Hudson Bay.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast