Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Hands down

Hands down

To garage 10 and 11 North for switching i think 5 sets of bike tires in under 10 minutes .... To then have to wait anothe half an hour but still lol

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

CCS #31

Re: Hands down

it made things interesting, that's for sure

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Really wish they told us what they were doing. I stayed on rains thinking we'd be back out in 5 minutes. Good job to all you guys out there.

LRRS 878 Clapped out Gixxah

Guy in front of me went down in T3 the second lap of race #2 (novice class) b/c he was still on rains.

...of course the same guy then put on race tires and proceeded to go down in T3 during the warmup lap of race #12...so I'm not sure we can blame the rains...

Either way, I think (read: know) some people were pissed because they spent money on rains because it was raining at the time they were supposed to race.

Add to that, they cancelled race 13 because of the rain - I totally know all of this was done with safety in mind, but doesn't the rulebook say race rain or shine?

Just trying to understand how they're going to behave going forward. I personally was thinking about putting on rains for race #2, then the dryer truck left out of the garage (ostensibly just for the cleanup that had to happen), then it made a full lap....then the announcer said there's a dry line (suggesting the dryer was not drying the whole track and meaning a rain in the front might be OK, b/c you could go off-line to cool it off), but then the dryer truck proceeded to make multiple full laps and I was glad I stayed on my DOT's.....

Just wish there was a little better communication and especially that the announcer had a reliable source of information, the perception in the garage is that he doesn't get info from just one person and often gets conflicting news....this is a case where no info would have been better than inaccurate info.

Race 13 they asked the riders what they wanna do and all but ONE said they want the race to end and not go back out.

I also wish they had communicated with the riders a little better. We were on pre-grid and just about every bike was on rains. The initial announcement was just that they had a little clean up to do and we would be back out in 10 - 15 minutes. Not enough time or reason to switch to DOT's. Then they basically just kept delaying the start 15 minutes at a time, so I never really felt like I had enough time to swap both tires. After one of the announcements I managed to switch the rear, but I always felt like third call was right around the corner so I held off on the front. It just would of been nice if they announced from the start that we were going to delay for an hour and run the dryer. Or at least make it known that the intention was to wait and let the track dry out....not 10 minutes for some legends car clean-up.

Oh well, I actually still had some fun out there on the rain front. Each lap I could feel the tire sliding more and more as it was heating up. It was scary knowing that I was progressively losing grip...but it was kind of fun at the same time trying to finish the six laps before I inevitably lost all traction. Certainly helped me work on body position and being light on the bars.

LRRS #313

Crashing because he had rains? Doubtful. Race 1 had an expert and 2 amateurs on rains & they managed just fine.

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

You cant really predict the rain that much, perfect example is yesterday. First round i raced all 4 races on DOTs when in 3 of them ended up raining. So falling because of wrong tires is possible, but unlikely.

The tire choice is a play, part of a bigger game. I bought rain tires, didnt use them (because they had to be mounted on the wheels), ended up putting jims rains on (already mounted on wheels) to go to the pre grid, to come back and mount my DOTs back on. Almost had someone mount the rains on my wheels for race 8 while i did race 1 too. So its really part ofthe game.

Allin all i think it was a very fun weekend despite the 31 crashesi heard about just on saturday i believe. A lot learned for sure

CCS #31

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Crashing because he had rains? Doubtful. Race 1 had an expert and 2 amateurs on rains & they managed just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    ...Race 1...an expert and 2 amateurs...
    Not really trying to point fingers at the officials for anyone going down - first you just can't - people have to decide whether they want to race in the conditions - second, if we had run in the rain who knows how many people would have gone down.

But, I think there are 2 important facts there. First of all, we went out after you guys did - *if* there was any dampness on/near the raceline you guys would have reduced it, if not eliminated it.

Second, keep in mind this was the NOVICE class. He was probably like me (it was my rookie weekend) - despite having rains in my possession for the last 8 weekends of my career as a lowly track day rider, I've never ridden with them in the wet, much less the dry. My understanding is they get super melted / gooey in those conditions - the amateurs / experts on full rains might have known to try to run outside the line to get the tires wet (I heard that helps, correct me if wrong) AND most importantly, they probably have the experience to feel the difference in traction and know how to deal with it.

He went down (in full rains, not just front) at the end of the second longest straightaway, and second heaviest (take that back - the heaviest) braking zone.

Of course, if you guys notice I also pointed out that he fell down in the WARMUP LAP of his next race with DOT RACE TIRES in the DRY. We talked about it in pre-grid before the second race - he blamed the tires for the first crash, so I almost chuckled when I saw him go down the second time (as soon as I figured out he was ok, of course).

Last edited by Ductard; 07-28-14 at 04:10 PM.

I'm with WinVT. The communication could have been a lot better.

LRRS 878 Clapped out Gixxah