Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

MFChop #396 LRRS Round 4 Race Report

MFChop #396 LRRS Round 4 Race Report

So I actually took the time to write things down after each race so this time is a bit lengthy. As usually cliffs are in the second post

Friday
    I headed up around 11:30 and arrived ready to go at 2:00. My bike was all set ready to go but from last round I didn’t need to but knew it would be a smart idea to change out my pads. I had a set of CL60s that I loved I put them in last March and got 9 trackdays and 3 race weekends out of them and they were still working great just worn down to about 60% so again just smart and one less thing to be running through my head. After a trip over to S&C I talked to Miles and he had either a set of Performance Friction 05s or Vesrah SRJL XX unfortunately there was a huge difference in price change so I him’d and haw’d for an hour and decided to pony up for the Vesrahs. No sense in cheeping out on the one thing you NEED to work lol. So I slapped them in, deglazed the rotors and I was ready to go for the weekend!

Saturday
    Practice – as usual I dragged butt getting out of bed and turning my warmers on they weren’t up to temp for practice one so I skipped out on it. Practice two came up and I was ready to go. I’ve been getting in the habit now of practicing my launching every single time I had out as I get more comfortable with higher and higher RPMs and more clutch work. After my first lap I was instantly comfortable and stated chipping away time and started seeing my name on the board and saw 1:24s which is great for me in a practice session.

I came in from seeing that with great confidence and ready to get the show started

Race 7 Formula 1
    Gridding in 1B
    We launch I get pinched and roll off into turn 1 Im in 8th out of turn 1 3rd! As we come around on to the straight my little cheater bike pulls past into 2nd just before the line. I stay within 10ft of 1st through the next lap and get bumped back to 3rd braking to early into 11. I pull again on him on the straight back into 2nd. As I come around again I caught a false neutral into 11 and coasted though 12. I rev it up catch a gear and take off, flustered I forget GP Shift and down shift again and have to double shift back up as this happens I loose a position. I say on him and know I can take him once were on the back straight; hes a bigger guy on a 600 Im a little guy on a 636 haha. I take him but he cuts me on the inside of 3. I let him have it and take him on the inside coming out of the bowl. Next lap around I come into 3 with a Red and Yellow waving, damit! So we pit in…. Both ambulances had to go out so they sent us back to our garages till they can clear the track and we can re grid,... 20 minutes later we get called back out. Im back in 1B smooth launch but not hard enough on the throttle till it leveled out. As I exit 1 I take two positions putting me in 4th. Once again I take the same guy on the straight putting me in 3rd however he cuts me on the inside of 11 putting me wide and taking back 3rd . I immediately retaliate by taking the inside line of the bowl putting me wide but ahead. As I come on to the straight, I throttle hard onto 2nd right before the line. I chase down 1st and now Im on his tail . He takes 3 to wide and I catch him on the inside yahhhooo 1st baby! Which shortly ends when I broke to early into the bowl. I want it back! We come back though 1-2-3-4 into the bowl again bam! I take the inside and its mine again! I throttle hard to put some distance between us 7-8- as I turn in for 9 OH SHIT! First exchanging of leathers as he take to the inside. My bike pointed right off the hill! I catch it and turn in right as my front hits the edge and save it. I throttle into 10 as I tip in “HOLY SH!T I saved that and I’m still in 1st!” As I try to regain composure I enter 11. DAMIT I miss my down shift and I know he’s got me once we exit 12, sure enough he does. Putting me in Second not bad. To also add to my second place win the folks over Plaistow Powersports sponsored the race and put up $50 gift certificate for 2nd place!

Race 10 Formula 2
    Gridding 1B
    After a great first race I headed out ready for a repeat with less bumping of course. Horrible launch entering 1 dead last first lap out I got trapped behind a slow guy and just couldn’t get past cleanly. Out of 12 I finally take him, first already entering at 1 by this point. As I round 2 the red flag is out. We re-grid, once again horrible start but pull a position through 1 now in 5th . As we come around the straight a yellow comes out in 1. For some reason I just wasn’t a aggressive in that race as I was before……. As I came around for my fifth lap I caught a false neutral downshifting into 11 again. I had the quick fight or flight kick in and it quickly pitted as I was pointed right at it. Part of me wishes I didn’t and just coasted through 12 caught a gear and went on so I could maintain points. However the way the day was going I didn’t want to risk anything so that race was over for me

Sunday

Practice
    Wasn’t paying attention as usual and missed my call for group 3, so I skipped first practice. Then I went out for 2nd practice. I wasn’t running anything two spectacular 24-26s but felt good and ready to rock.

And now Olly with the forecast…..

And it did! LRRS did the smart thing and postponed the races till it past around 1:30 races got shortened to 6 Laps and none were dropped… however with being in race 2 the great debate ensued… Rains or DOTs, Rains or DOTs, Rains or DOTs, Rains or DOTs, Rains or DOTs, Rains or DOTs…. So about 40 min before I the races were to start rains it was Mo jumped in and helped me franticly swap wheels so Id have time and be ready to go. Then as the rain stop the sun came out and dried up all the rain… and the itsy bistys spider…… haha . Legends went out and the track was still wet, and then the dryers came out!!!! Damit then the debate ensued again Rains or DOTs, Rains or DOTs, Rains or DOTs, Rains or DOTs, Rains or DOTs…. DOTs it it right before race 1 started MO came to the rescue again and helped me swap back over. :love:

Race 2 Rookie 2
    Gridding 4A
    As I pulled out on my DOTs ready to go I passed my #29 Micheal Weyant, he waved me down and said exactly what I needed to hear “the track is perfectly dry, just be easy out of 12” my confidence instantly rose. Perfect gridding in wave 2 4A. As I launched another on a zx6r pulls ahead another shows his tire. As we enter 1 I roll on harder taking the inside passing them both and then….. It was nothing but crickets I took 1st and never looked back (okay I did once on lap 5 haha)

Race 12 Starter 2
    Gridding 4A
    On my high from my first First place I went back out again ready to dominate! I’m in Wave 4 13A as we come around and grid I notice there’s only one person two rows ahead of me I see Gram in front of him and as the first two waves go I see him walk away. Not 100% sure if the guy a head of me gridded wrong or they’re sending two waves out at once. A bit confused I see the others in my wave readying so I guess it’s all of us at once. Still not sure what’s going on I make the Ducati in front my target. We launch before I even cross the start line Im dead last. I throttle hard into 1 and take the outside line passing through the and taking passion entering 1a I see the Ducati just ahead, on his tail into 2 I knew I had him. His torque save him he had just enough to keep me at bay entering 3 as we pull out of 3 and up 4 I let the magic of my Pirelli V2s work their magic and rolled on the throttle and pulled past him over the hill…. Im in First! For four laps nothing but open track for me again as we come into 11 I hear the sound of a Duc, I know hes gonna torque past me out of 12. I hear him I hear him I hear him… now I see him he sneaks past at the line…From there on I chase him only 2 lengths away at any time I just couldn’t catch him. 2 laps later I pull in and there it is another 1st for me! He obviously was in the other wave but a great carrot for me.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by MFChop; 07-29-14 at 08:46 AM.

Re: MFChop #396 LRRS Round 4 Race Report

I had a discussion at Brookside with Mike Kurtz of MTaG and he asked me a very simple question in regards to my inconsistent times and my 1:22 that opened my eyes up; “Are you racing by feeling or by reference points?” To which I replied, “by feeing”. This had me reflecting on my way home that Im always racing based on what I’m feeling the bike doing and how Im feeling confidence wise about my speed, entry, passing and so on. So this will become my focus of improvement for the rest of the season.

As always thank you to RSP, ECK, BT1R and everyone else for your help and support over the weekend

To my sponsors Advanced Traction, Dyno Solutions, Moto D Racing, Sportbike Track Gear, Woodcraft, and Armour Bodies. Thank you; this all wouldn’t be possible with out your support

And to the AMs and EXs who donate their awards round after round, Thank You. To you guys they maybe be small novelties / trinkets but to us NOVs they are a tangible validation of our skills and progress… Plus it is nice to come home with something to show mommy haha

Now for my personal dilemma…. I broke the 1.23.000 bump marker for the bump to Amateur. I frankly have no idea how I did it and I only did it once but Im curious to see what will happen. If they ask me if I would like to I will graciously decline for now however if they tell me well then time to sack up. With Round 5 only 3 weeks away only time will tell.

Cliffs

New PB of 1:22.305 - from a 1:23.602 so -1.297

Formula 1 – Second Place & a $50 GC to Plaistow Powersports
    Formula 2 – 18th / DNF
    Starter 2 – First Place
    Rookie 2 – First Place

Current standings in LRRS

Novice Formula 1 - 5th overall out of 39 (1 DNF & only 6 points behind the leader)
    Novice Formula 2 - 6th overall out of 48 (1 DNS & 1 DNF)
    Novice Rookie 2 - 1st place out of 46
    Novice Starter 2 - 1st out of 32

Last edited by MFChop; 07-29-14 at 08:23 AM.

Congrats on the good weekend, Matt!

Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

Awesome job dude!

I have always rode by feel also and am starting to realize that I might have to work harder soon just like you.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

the 4th wave always leaves at the same time as the 3rd wave.

Graham
    "If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee — that will do them in"

You dont know slow... PainfullySlow's Avatar

Congrats on a killer weekend Matt!