Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Helmet date code worn off - Snell Serial # good enough?

Helmet date code worn off - Snell Serial # good enough?

Looking at buying a helmet and and apparently the date code has worn off

...not sure how that happens and that *may* answer my question on age (apparently code wasn't etched onto the d-ring on this model / year).

If I were able to call in the SNELL serial # and confirm the date of manufacture, would I still be able to get through tech? Would Arai provide some letter stating the date that I could take into tech?

Hate to pass it up b/c it's an Arai and it's super cheap (because it's got a couple of scratches and guess the owner doesn't know there are people in the racing community that aren't out there to be in shiny new gear).

Obviously will check the foam to make sure it's not compressed and probably replace the liner....

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Where are we going?...and why am I in this handbasket?"
    LRRS 919
    '12 Ducati 1199 Panigale (track) '08 Honda CRF 250 (ice) '02 KTM 520 SX Supermoto (track)

Re: Helmet date code worn off - Snell Serial # good enough?

I'd prob pass on it just because it will be an issue every single time you go thru tech. There's enough to think about at that time w/o having to explain it and show another document that they will prob not accept anyway. Although most Arai's have the date either stamped on the d-ring or into the strap cover itself. Not sure where that code was but you may want to check the strap or the d-ring. You might luck out.

LRRS #387

I'd pass on it. It won't make it through tech even if you drag paperwork out.

F that noise. On to the next one

Ok, ok. Passing. Figure the helmet is way outside the 5 year mark anyways if the date code wore off.

Just didn't know if maybe the date was encoded into the Snell# I deal with a lot of serialized inventory and often I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the snell # reads something like - First two characters are alphanumeric code unique to each manufacturer, next 4 digits are date in MMYY, last 3 digits are sequential number assigned to each helmet.

Wouldn't be surprised if that were the case, or to find out that whoever is working tech was trained with that little tidbit of info.

But, as I said, I'm passing anyways. Lots of other helmets to be had.

LRRS 919
    '12 Ducati 1199 Panigale (track) '08 Honda CRF 250 (ice) '02 KTM 520 SX Supermoto (track)

Have you seen my baseball GingahNinjah's Avatar

Just buy a brand new HJC FG-17 for $180 and done... snell 2010/DOT approved with a composite shell... I have 2 of these now one for the street and one I race in and love em both!! http://www.ridersdiscount.com/s?defa...&Action=submit

Last edited by GingahNinjah; 07-31-14 at 02:53 PM.
    https://www.facebook.com/LRRSBT1R #54 EX 2007 SV650 "Work hard. Play harder. Die broke and happy!" Boston Tier 1 Racing Pirelli Tires Woodcraft-CFM Armorbodies Penguin Racing School Vortex Shorai Batteries DP Brakes Riders Discount SIDI Leatt

Hmmmm...I loved my corsair V...

Normally, I'd be a little hesitant to trust my head to something <$200....but if it's SNELL 2010 approved then it's gotta be pretty good, right?

I don't want to even talk about how much that Ducati branded Corsair V cost me.....when I bought it I planned on using it for many, many years - that's before I considered racing so I didn't figure I'd crash it and I didn't even know they were only good for 5-7 years.

It does seem a little too good to be true though...so what gives? I have a Scorpion EXO (not snell) that I believe cost me ~$400 and it's got nothing on the comfort, field of vision, and airflow of my corsair V. I don't think there's anything that will keep you cool in pre-grid but once I got going that thing made it feel like somebody flipped the AC on before I even reached the end of the hot-pit.

I'm sure the helmet brand debate has been beat to death on a previous thread. So I'll look around the forum but am open to any new / condensed information people have.

LRRS 919

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

They don't have every helmet made, but they've tested a bunch. There are some low cost helmets that test out very well. If it gets a good rating on SHARP and is track legal I'd be comfortable wearing it. Shoei Quests for example can be found for quite reasonable and are a 5 star SHARP helmet.

I love my bell. Prior to that I was cheap with scorpion. Probably best cheap helmet out there.

FWIW, I just bought a Scorpion EXO-400 for $80 from CompAcc to be my trackday helmet. They are discontinued models, but the date code on it was 2012 or 2103, I'll verify tonight.
    http://www.compacc.com/p/scorpion-exo-400-solid-helmets