Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Coolant and Screws

Coolant and Screws

I'm running a 2009 Ninja 250 and took off the fairings to do some general maintenance and cleaning. In doing so, I found my coolant to be extremely low and that I'm actually missing a few screws on the fairings.

Suggestions on the type of coolant I should purchase?

Does anyone happen to know the part number or size for the small "plastic plug screw things" (yup, technical, I know) which run under the fairing to hold the underneath of the fairing to the side? I'm also missing a large screw for the bottom on the fairing just before the kickstand and a screw along the radiator which holds the fairing in place there. I have the opposite side for both those screws so I can remove the opposite side if needed and bring to a motorcycle shop, but if I could order online and get it cheaper that would be great. Final missing screw is one in a bracket just to the left of the coolant tank and has a #7 on it.

Appreciate any thoughts and suggestions. I've looked on mrcycles.com, but unable to find the stupid things, although I did find my blinker enclosure, swing arm caps and air cleaner element.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2016 Ninja 650

Lifer

Re: Coolant and Screws

Pretty sure it's 'Plastic Rivet', PN 92039, Bike Bandit PN 862781
    http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/...8821#sch580524
    Keep that site handy in the future. Great way to find obscure OEM parts using the diagrams. I've never used these specific plastic rivets before, but in general these are the kind of part that get brittle and break often. I'd probably order a few spares if I was already paying for shipping.

Do you have a coolant tester? Something like these: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ester/_/N-256i It's a good time to make sure your mix is right. I'm in the "it doesn't matter" camp for coolant. Unless your owner's manual calls for something unusual, whatever the parts store has will do the trick. If you want to try to keep the type the same, you can try matching the color that's in there now to one on the shelf.

nedirtriders.com

Use Engine Ice for coolant. Best stuff you can use for the street. Its not a big deal to use the car stuff but I find the engine ice to work better and keeps temps more consistant.

Banned

Use standard coolant and top up the overflow. Are you checking the radiator or the overflow when you say It's "extremely low"?

Don't switch coolant types unless you're ready to completely flush the system and replace with new.

Lowe's and Home Depot carry various automotive fasteners in their specialty fasteners drawers, and their prices are far cheaper than the ridiculous prices for OEM fasteners. Not OEM but they get the job done.

Go to Rocky's in Fitchburg as they have a nice selection of SS Allen head/button top screws. I don't know specifically which screws you are referring to but most are 5mm .8 pitch and/or 6mm 1.0 pitch screws.

2004 SV650
    1979 GS 850GN
    2005 Tt-r125
    NEMRR #246 - Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersports

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Use standard coolant and top up the overflow. Are you checking the radiator or the overflow when you say It's "extremely low"?

Don't switch coolant types unless you're ready to completely flush the system and replace with new.
    When I pulled off the fairing I can see it is almost empty. It is about 1.5 inches above the bottom of the reservoir with the "L" being a good 3 inches above the line of liquid I currently have in it.

Thanks for the suggestions on where to get the bolts, screws, and plastic rivets! I'll gladly pay less for what works the same

2016 Ninja 650

Quote Originally Posted by aprilb View Post
    When I pulled off the fairing I can see it is almost empty. It is about 1.5 inches above the bottom of the reservoir with the "L" being a good 3 inches above the line of liquid I currently have in it.
    that's just the reservoir. doesn't mean your radiator itself is low in coolant. like degsy said, just top it off with auto coolant

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

I had always thought you should use motorcycle-specific coolant...something about auto coolant having larger silicate additives as opposed to bike coolant in which they are smaller? Or auto-specific silicates will adversely affect the bike's water pump rubber seals? Not sure...

Last edited by greenmonster; 07-31-14 at 10:21 AM.
    -
    Quote Originally Posted by TLRMan View Post
    Oh, I forgot to add, I charge double for Kawasaki's

"My God, you're gonna have to cool me down, give me an ice block to shove in my pants or something".
    -Barbecue Lou

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Been using "automotive" coolant for decades with no issues. It will work perfectly in a Ninja 250.

Are you checking the fluid level while the bike is upright or on it's kick stand. Check your owners manual to see if it specifies, as this may change the orientation of the fluid level.