Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

locked gas cap

locked gas cap

What's the best way to get into a fuel tank with a locked gas cap? Bike is mine, key came out of the lock with a bunch of white powder all over it the other day and couldn't free it up with a bunch of WD40 or lock de-icer. New gas cap is on the way but is there a preferred way to break the cylinder on the current lock without damaging the tank so I can get it to rotate when I remove the outer ring so I can swap out the caps? I appreciate any help. Thanks.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: locked gas cap

Torch

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

uummmmmm, is that smart when the cap is on a tank that is mostly vapors????? and having shot WD40 into the keyhole already????

Increasing sized drill bits will work. Or I have used a screwdriver and hammer but that may be damaging. A pro locksmith can easily pick it.

Near me there is a guy who can pick the cap lock, get the numerical code under the cap and cut you a new perfect key from it. Saves having 2 keys.

defining "budget tourer" ctbandit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Increasing sized drill bits will work. Or I have used a screwdriver and hammer but that may be damaging. A pro locksmith can easily pick it.

Near me there is a guy who can pick the cap lock, get the numerical code under the cap and cut you a new perfect key from it. Saves having 2 keys.
    Either of these options. Locksmith or drillbits.

Or you can be cool and just put the fuel in from the bottom at the fuel pump and take the tank off every time you fill up

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post

Thanks. Are you the same guy from the SuperHawk forum?? New cap also came with a new ignition, only going to have 1 key except for going under the seat which is very rare except in the driveway.........

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    Torch

[SIGPIhttp://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic8737_4.gifC][/SIGPIC]

happened to us at the track this year. we jammed a flat head screw driver in the key hole and hammered it pretty good. then we were able to unlock the cap with the screw driver, but swapped it out to a twist off cap shortly after.

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft