Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

3D Printer Filament needed

High maintenance priss

3D Printer Filament needed

Shot in the dark - I have a very small project which requires ASA in orange (1.75mm diam). This is a bit harder to find - the material+color combo is a rare to begin with and the only sources I've found are in Europe. I only need a few meters of material. If any of you guys happen to have a partial spool you're willing to sell or local resources (maker spaces?): please post!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: 3D Printer Filament needed

My friends shop in west Boylston has a bunch of filament, I was there today, but have no knowledge about them. Might be worth a call. Turn 4 Hobbytown

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Believe I have Orange ABS for my Stratasys machine. If it’s that small I’ll just make it for you.

I can check tonight.

“When it comes to the kitchen, I have a narrow band of competency.”
    Master Mechanic Roger Barr in “Chasing Classic Cars.”

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Believe I have Orange ABS for my Stratasys machine. If it’s that small I’ll just make it for you.

I can check tonight.
    He asked for ASA.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    He asked for ASA.
    ASA and ABS are both impact-modified Styrene compounds. In general ASA has better UV resistance and slightly worse heat resistance and impact strength. Both are widely used for consumer products, office equipment and auto parts. In practice there are many different formulations of each and their properties are nearly identical.

Because the FDM printer has a heated build chamber, the density would make it much, much stronger than parts made on most hobby printers. “Infill” of most hobby printer parts is 10-30%. The comparable figure for FDM is 70-95%.

Last edited by Garandman; 05-01-21 at 01:07 AM.
    “When it comes to the kitchen, I have a narrow band of competency.”
    Master Mechanic Roger Barr in “Chasing Classic Cars.”

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    ASA and ABS are both impact-modified Styrene compounds. In general ASA has better UV resistance and slightly worse heat resistance and impact strength. Both are widely used for consumer products, office equipment and auto parts. In practice there are many different formulations of each and their properties are nearly identical.

Because the FDM printer has a heated build chamber, the density would make it much, much stronger than parts made on most hobby printers. “Infill” of most hobby printer parts is 10-30%. The comparable figure for FDM is 70-95%.
    I'm aware of the differences. I just doubt he would have asked for ASA if he didn't already know that. Also with 1.75mm filament I doubt it's a lower end hobby printer...

High maintenance priss

The UV was the biggest reason I was picking ASA over ABS. Made replacement needles for a vintage speedo/tach. I've already designed and printed in PLA and otherwise came out great, just ideally wanted ASA. If you think ABS is just as good for the application: then that opens far more options.

This is the sample in PLA. 0.4mm nozzle; will be printing the actual in 0.25mm and higher resolution params.

3D Printer Filament needed-pxl_20210319_041421007-jpg

3D Printer Filament needed-pxl_20210319_041644067-jpg

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by keeena; 05-01-21 at 01:23 PM.

That's an interesting application! Could you get it sla printed and then dyed orange also? Might be easier and surface finish would be better than fdm for such a small part. Honestly I'm impressed with the surface finish you were able to achieve on the pla part!

High maintenance priss

Ya, I was also a bit surprised it came out this well. Printer is a Prusa i3 MK3S. Painting is an option but ideally want the underlying color to be close so any chips or whatnot aren't as obvious.

And yes - SLA would be a better process for something like this.