Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Decent outdoor laser level/ transit?

Decent outdoor laser level/ transit?

I'm in the market for a replacement laser level/ transit for outdoor use.

I'd like to shoot at least 500'.

There is a price point I'd like to stay with however I'm more interested in the options for this type of equipment.

Who makes a decent setup?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Decent outdoor laser level/ transit?

Honestly, you would have been one of the people in this world I'd have asked.
    One of those tools I want but could never justify owning.

Frickin' laser beams man!

I subbed to the NH Excavation FB group Randy mentioned some time back in the tractor thread. I have no business in that group. But for some reason I scroll da photos and look at the cool trucks and excavators like a 5 year old with a dress-up hard hat. Site lasers get asked about a lot and I've noticed Eastpoint Lasers get mentioned a lot as being a good go-to source here in NH. I have no idea why I retain this sort of thing yet need to use 2 electronic devices and phone a friend to remember my wifes birthday or wedding anniversary.

For the broke-dick home improvers in the bunch.. I have a Dewalt 2 axis level. The red-laser indoor kind. Thing is the tits. I use it for everything. Wife makes fun of me but it soothes my OCD. Have been considering buying an inexpensive detector to go with it. This is supposed to be a pulsed laser that can be used on the order 1-200' with a detector. Kind of expect it to be a "yeah, maybe at dusk/dawn" sort of thing. But. Beats the hell out of using strings and line levels. Maybe.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Honestly, you would have been one of the people in this world I'd have asked.
    One of those tools I want but could never justify owning.

Frickin' laser beams man!

I subbed to the NH Excavation FB group Randy mentioned some time back in the tractor thread. I have no business in that group. But for some reason I scroll da photos and look at the cool trucks and excavators like a 5 year old with a dress-up hard hat. Site lasers get asked about a lot and I've noticed Eastpoint Lasers get mentioned a lot as being a good go-to source here in NH. I have no idea why I retain this sort of thing yet need to use 2 electronic devices and phone a friend to remember my wifes birthday or wedding anniversary.

For the broke-dick home improvers in the bunch.. I have a Dewalt 2 axis level. The red-laser indoor kind. Thing is the tits. I use it for everything. Wife makes fun of me but it soothes my OCD. Have been considering buying an inexpensive detector to go with it. This is supposed to be a pulsed laser that can be used on the order 1-200' with a detector. Kind of expect it to be a "yeah, maybe at dusk/dawn" sort of thing. But. Beats the hell out of using strings and line levels. Maybe.
    you have more than I have, never had a need for an laser level (but I'd like one for some backyard projects) I do it with with surveying equipment, with the same result just a quick, but takes 2 people instead of solo

For me, I use the NH Excavation Group as a resource, such as needing a test pit outside my local area. I have never done business with Eastpoint, although I have visited their booth at trade shows, over the years, I have done all my instrument purchases thru Maine Technical Service in Yarmouth, ME, or Spiller's, in Lewiston, ME, I get my consumables from a supplier in Oregon (I bought what must be a 20 year supply of flagging tape a few years ago @ 75% off 5000 rolls)

Last edited by RandyO; 04-28-21 at 10:55 AM.
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Topcon RL200 would be my personal choice, but probably more $ than you want to spend, however after looking at cheaper box store choices that only have a range of 100ft, the RL200 specs an 1100 meter diameter circle /2= 650meters = 2132ft

it appears there are many choices in the 100-330ft range, then they become fewer and a lot more $

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Topcon RL-H4C RB?

bubba - I've been getting by with a very basic laser setup but I am looking to take on more complex work. I'll check out Eastpoint as they are just up the street in Hooksett. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    bubba - I've been getting by with a very basic laser setup but I am looking to take on more complex work.
    What do you use? What are the pros/cons/limitations you are hitting? Distance/range?

Topcon RL-H4C RB?

bubba - I've been getting by with a very basic laser setup but I am looking to take on more complex work. I'll check out Eastpoint as they are just up the street in Hooksett. Thank you!
    yes, nearly same range as RL200, but only has single slope capability, which may be all you need

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Current laser is one of those small Bosch models, shoots 50' vert and hor. It's been great for trenching because it's just a matter of setting a drop in one direction but I'm way past its limitations in the sense that I'm not able to set a slope for anything beyond, say, 30' or so (realistically) which means I am regularly taking very manual measurements on certain grading jobs and it's been time-consuming....that and I want to start taking on more hardscape jobs. I'll keep that Bosch handy for any quick checks or for vertical alignments.

Randy - I'm undecided on single or dual slope. I feel like, after doing more reading, I'd go with a dual and while I may not need that feature immediately, I may in the future...? Admittedly, I have a lot to learn still.

Red or green?

Red or green?
    not really familiar with green, my total station throws a red beam, but different use, I only use it to align my crosshairs when the object I'm sighting on is too close to focus the instrument, and sometimes to aid in stakeout, and most of the contractors I work with regularly if not all, use red

RandyO
    IBA#9560

How are the offerings from Leica?

How are the offerings from Leica?
    we have a few gps units from leica at work...things are awesome so long as you can get good cell phone service...no experience with their laser levels though...we are still using old topcon levels

bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

my total station is a Leica TS06, don't know much about their rotary laser levels, to tell you the truth, the most common mfr. I see on construction sites, is Topcon, The closest experience I have with a Leica level, is an old Wild Heerbrugg, THE most accurate leveling I have ever done, a 7 mile loop that closed .003 ft

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Ended up with a Leica Rugby 610, Leica Rod Eye 160, fiberglass tripod and grade stick from Eastpoint Lasers. The laser is a straightforward unit and a good start to controlling grades a whole lot better.

Picked it up this morning and immediately set it up on my current job site. Already loving the features of the receiver and ease of use. So much quicker to run around with the grade stick listening to the receiver beep or to look at the LCD to see where things are at.

Decent outdoor laser level/ transit?-img_20210504_144530843_hdr-3-jpg

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!