Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Driveway repair/replacing a culvert

Driveway repair/replacing a culvert

After that ridiculous rainstorm that pummeled SWNH (Jaffrey airport recorded 6.9" of rain), the end of our driveway where it meets the road got damaged, as did the road itself. I believe the culprit is the culvert that goes under the driveway, it's too small for these flash flood waters, and it's starting to collapse. The water obviously came up over the driveway over night and washed away some of the driveway and a lot of the road next to my mailbox.

I contacted the town (who is technically responsible for the culvert as it's within 6ft of the road) and all they ever do is dump sand and gravel in the areas washed away, including the road surface. I'd be surprised if I could get them to replace the culvert, and I don't think I'd want them to anyways given their terrible "repairs" performed in the past.

Anyone here sucked it up and sunk some money into replacing the culvert on their own? Is it just a matter of doing it, or does the town need to approve? Our driveway is hard pack and has held up very well to all the rain we've gotten, it's really just that culvert that is causing all the problems now (although the ditches really need to be made bigger and lined with rock as well).

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by SRTie4k; 07-19-21 at 06:50 AM.
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2017 Honda CRF250L Rally

Re: Driveway repair/replacing a culvert

I'd start with talking to the town with regards to repairs, approval for repairs, cost sharing, etc.

It would also be a good time to explain that their previous attempts at repairing the issue have been inadequate and that you are looking for a permanent solution rather than continually adding the wrong material that will eventually be washed out.

^^^this...how big is the culvert?...what is it made of?

bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Town came back and said they are not responsible for the culvert under a driveway, so I'm on the hook. They also have no plans on fixing up the ditches on either side.

Not entirely sure off the top of my head, but I'm guessing the culvert is 12-15" diameter, galvanized steel I think, and it's on the way to falling in. It's almost half submerged in sand on one side and rock on the other.

Paul (aka butcher bergs) has been contacted and he's going to come take a look this weekend.

2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2017 Honda CRF250L Rally

very likely, the town will be applying for FEMA funds IF Biden declares the storm an emergency

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    Town came back and said they are not responsible for the culvert under a driveway, so I'm on the hook. They also have no plans on fixing up the ditches on either side.

Not entirely sure off the top of my head, but I'm guessing the culvert is 12-15" diameter, galvanized steel I think, and it's on the way to falling in. It's almost half submerged in sand on one side and rock on the other.

Paul (aka butcher bergs) has been contacted and he's going to come take a look this weekend.
    is the culvert within the right of way?...may be something in the bylaws?...corrugated steel pipe usually corrodes and falls apart...how far down from the driveway grade to the crown of the pipe and how long is it?...i wouldn't put pvc or corrugated hdpe in if it only has a couple feet of cover over the pipe...if that's the case put in some ductile iron pipe or some reinforced concrete pipe...ductile iron will have a thinner wall than using reinforced concrete...could always lay in 2 pipes side by side if vertical clearance is an issue and you want to move more water than you can right now...the only other thing i can think of is it clean the pipe out and slip line it but that will reduce diameter which isn't what you sound like you want to do

a couple links so you can see what's out there...

https://oldcastleinfrastructure.com/

https://www.uspipe.com/ductile-iron-...5e734684e11a47

Last edited by Point37; 07-19-21 at 01:52 PM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post

CMP - corrugated metal pipe used to be the most common driveway culvert, now days, HDPE high density polyethylene is more common
    sometimes you see RCP reinforced concrete pipe, with only limited cover, or a hump in the road with the other materials, OR (most common) the wetlands bureau requires concrete because turtles prefer it, metal or plastic don't feel natural to their feet and they are more apt to cross the road and get run over

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject