Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My fellow Americans

My fellow Americans

I don’t care if you’re a Biden fan or a trump fan. I don’t care if you’re republic or democrat or have never voted.
    I just want to wish you all well. I believe there is a scary future ahead of us. Not just Covid. Not just gas going through the roof (joined by lumber, steel, and god knows what else). Not with just potential numerous bubbles ready to burst (stocks, crypto, real estate, auto loans, student loans). Not just by being so god damn tired over the last year and a half.
    I am concerned something bad is about to happen from a combination of all these. I pray I am wrong. But remember to be human and be nice to each other. We will need it more than ever.

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: My fellow Americans

My fellow Americans

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I already know where this thread is gonna go, through no fault of your own Sav...

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Right now things are a house of cards... eventually, something may start a massive ripple effect in our economy and society. Like you mentioned all the pieces are there... let's hope we can correct before we reach a tipping point.

2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

I feel like this could just get rolled into a "Feelings of Existential Dread" megathread.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    I already know where this thread is gonna go...
    My fellow Americans-jpeg

I don't understand the mentality of "this cant go on"

Why cant prices just keep increasing?? They always have. Im not that old and when I was a kid gas was $0.99/gallon, I just filled up at $3.49. house prices are like 4x what they were when I was a kid. What makes you say the train is gonna stop rolling?

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    I don't understand the mentality of "this cant go on"

Why cant prices just keep increasing?? They always have. Im not that old and when I was a kid gas was $0.99/gallon, I just filled up at $3.49. house prices are like 4x what they were when I was a kid. What makes you say the train is gonna stop rolling?
    See history.. See also, the great depression.. It's like a bubble.. Eventually it burst

Quote Originally Posted by caloots View Post
    See history.. See also, the great depression.. It's like a bubble.. Eventually it burst
    Tell me one burst "bubble" that didn't *ahem* "re-inflate"?

I'll name two with hundreds of counter arguments.

Beanie Babies and Tulips.

Every thing else that's being labeled as a "bubble" has been.... it's actual value that just went up. Whether you like it or not.

California housing prices
    Stock Market
    Old muscle cars
    New era of desired cars
    Bitcoin
    Website domain name pricing
    App evalutations
    Amazon evaluation
    Regular house pricing
    Gold/Silver
    Pokemon cards
    Baseball cards
    The new digital content tokens?
    Sports salaries
    NYC real estate pricing

I don't even know what else but I'm sure there is plenty more.

Human mentality is two fold.

1) Once something gets established at a certain price it becomes "authenticated" in our minds. Sort of like a wedding band for a guy is a stamp of pre-approval.
    2) After something is bought at that new price, people aren't going to be inclined to lose money on it. With the new internet age it became a lot easier to keep a higher price and reach out to a much wider audience than having to list your rare car on your local classifieds.

Point is, it's easier to build and maintain a new higher "bubble" value than actually burst it.

You're never going to buy a San Francisco house for average American prices, period. Not a bubble. Reality.

Last edited by Vovchandr; 05-12-21 at 09:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vovchandr View Post
    Tell me one burst "bubble" that didn't *ahem* "re-inflate"?

I'll name two with hundreds of counter arguments.

Beanie Babies and Tulips.

Every thing else that's being labeled as a "bubble" has been.... it's actual value that just went up. Whether you like it or not.

California housing prices
    Stock Market
    Old muscle cars
    New era of desired cars
    Bitcoin
    Website domain name pricing
    App evalutations
    Amazon evaluation
    Regular house pricing
    Gold/Silver

I don't even know what else but I'm sure there is plenty more.

Human mentality is two fold.

1) Once something gets established at a certain price it becomes "authenticated" in our minds. Sort of like a wedding band for a guy is a stamp of pre-approval.
    2) After something is bought at that new price, people aren't going to be inclined to lose money on it. With the new internet age it became a lot easier to keep a higher price and reach out to a much wider audience than having to list your rare car on your local classifieds.

Point is, it's easier to build and maintain a new higher "bubble" value than actually burst it.
    Ok..

Climate change is the big x-factor. Severe weather and climate change is going to destroy value in a lot of the world. Will make wall-street speculation look like a joke. That coupled with ever increasing population will further strain remaining resources.

Meanwhile my mother that can't come by the house without being armed with some plastic landfill fodder for the kids.

(4) Try not to be a dick. PurplePackage's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    I don’t care if you’re a Biden fan or a trump fan. I don’t care if you’re republic or democrat or have never voted.
    I just want to wish you all well. I believe there is a scary future ahead of us. Not just Covid. Not just gas going through the roof (joined by lumber, steel, and god knows what else). Not with just potential numerous bubbles ready to burst (stocks, crypto, real estate, auto loans, student loans). Not just by being so god damn tired over the last year and a half.
    I am concerned something bad is about to happen from a combination of all these. I pray I am wrong. But remember to be human and be nice to each other. We will need it more than ever.
    Doom is just fine, so long as you're prepared for it. Once its here, people will adapt. The biggest problem we face is how quickly we can force idiots to get out of the way.

Update:
    Yeah its coming - https://www.co2levels.org/

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by PurplePackage; 05-12-21 at 09:36 AM. Reason: https://www.co2levels.org/

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePackage View Post
    Doom is just fine, so long as you're prepared for it. Once its here, people will adapt. The biggest problem we face is how quickly we can force idiots to get out of the way.

Update:
    I agree. Sort of. I have been preparing financially for this for a while.
    I’m talking more about the emotional aspect and the kindness (or lack there of).

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePackage View Post

Update:
    Is the drop around WW2 from all the dead people?

Be careful with your kindness, its got limits. Don't give someone the shirt off your back if they will just use it to wipe their shoes.

It seems some of you have taken this down the economic implosion route, while my thought goes to WW3....
    There has been fighting for thousands of years, that hasn't changed. There are many separate wars happening now all over the world. But how long until one conflict merges with another and becomes a much larger ordeal.

I would venture to say that most of us typing here today (myself included) have not been exposed to what that would entail (other than maybe some service members who have gone abroad). The US is not that old of a country, and history would show that at some point the bad guys will come knocking on the "door", either from within or other places.

It does not help that within our proud nation the growing lack of respect for each other, or even knowing who your neighbor is, certainly prevents many people from trusting each other.

I certainly do not wish for it, or ever want to see it happen, but I'm with Sav that I can't help but think the world is heading down a dark path in the (maybe not so distant) future.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Climate change is the big x-factor. Severe weather and climate change is going to destroy value in a lot of the world. Will make wall-street speculation look like a joke. That coupled with ever increasing population will further strain remaining resources.

Meanwhile my mother that can't come by the house without being armed with some plastic landfill fodder for the kids.
    and you believe the hype, ya, the climate is changing, but nowhere near as fast as the scare mongers are telling us, and nature is the bigger factor, climate change isn't causing the magnetic poles to move, but the magnetic pole movement influences the climate, it plays a big part in ocean currents

maybe you can repurpose all that plastic into a bubble to put your mother in, I don't know what to say about that. It's hard to avoid plastic, I try, shit, even booze comes in plastic bottles these days.

-4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

remember when we thought CBRKnight, Ray-Ray, and Doc sucking were the worst things that triggered us!

nah, things can also change when you get kids

some of this stuff will drive ya crazy if you over think it...art of war even says you gotta find inner peace.

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2017 KTM 690 Enduro R**

In most years they spend above the budget.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My fellow Americans-5bf77031-d294-45b7-89c1-f606770de8cb  

“When it comes to the kitchen, I have a narrow band of competency.”
    Master Mechanic Roger Barr in “Chasing Classic Cars.”

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    and you believe the hype, ya, the climate is changing, but nowhere near as fast as the scare mongers are telling us, and nature is the bigger factor, climate change isn't causing the magnetic poles to move, but the magnetic pole movement influences the climate, it plays a big part in ocean currents

maybe you can repurpose all that plastic into a bubble to put your mother in, I don't know what to say about that. It's hard to avoid plastic, I try, shit, even booze comes in plastic bottles these days.
    Well, that’s it then. The scientist has spoken.

7 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    In most years they spend above the budget.
    Maybe try showing that graphed compared to our what, 750 billion? Nope 778

My fellow Americans-screenshot-2021-05-13-083524-a

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    Septic "scientist"

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    tell us, when has the climate change met the fear mongers predictions, was the arctic free of ice 20 years ago, is New Orleans underwater

Guess what, last week I was doing test pits, and measuring soil temps. Our growing season is starting the same week of the year as it did 40 years ago

Last edited by RandyO; 05-13-21 at 11:32 AM.
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

Quote Originally Posted by jimmycapp View Post
    Maybe try showing that graphed compared to our what, 750 billion? Nope 778

My fellow Americans-screenshot-2021-05-13-083524-a

- - - Updated - - -

Septic "scientist"
    Natural Scientist, no such thing as a "septic" scientist, that's a different profession
    https://www.oplc.nh.gov/board-natural-scientists

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    but nowhere near as fast as the scare mongers are telling us
    Which study of this "fast" rate do you disagree with and what tests have you done to draw a conclusion that differs? Or what sources do you have of other people doing studies and tests that differ on this rate? What rate do you agree with in the end that's not scary? How much time do we have until it gets scary?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast