Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forest Harvesting ?s

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Question Forest Harvesting ?s

We are looking to have a forest harvest up in NH. YES I AM CUTTING DOWN TREES YOU HUGGERS!!!!!!!!!

We met up with Forestry consultant and grossly have come up with a game plan to do a small timber sale "remove all the mature pine". "These are some to the tallest pines he has seen in the area" . I'm taking that with a grain of salt. This would leave a variety of habitats for the wildlife and look to provide an opportunity for the younger vegetation to thrive and reinforce the growth of the hard wood.

For those in the know, is 20% commission of the proceeds form the timber sale the norm. He would be our agent and handle all the paperwork, permitting, contact the logger, lay out the land and supervise the process.

BTW he suggest i put the $ back into the property as train maintenance==== Tractor, brush hog, box blade, backhoe, etc.....if what he is projecting form the timber sale is close to accurate this will definitely make a acquisition of a machine much more affordable.

How do we know that we are getting the best outcome financially? Kates father has said in the past he felt like he got cheated out of $

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by nt650hawk; 04-23-21 at 08:46 AM.
    Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Re: Forest Harvesting ?s

Quote Originally Posted by nt650hawk View Post
    We are looking to have a forest harvest up in NH. YES I AM CUTTING DOWN TREES YOU HUGGERS!!!!!!!!!

We met up with Forestry consultant and grossly have come up with a game plan to do a small timber sale "remove all the mature pine". "These are some to the tallest pines he has seen in the area" . I'm taking that with a grain of salt. This would leave a variety of habitats for the wildlife and look to provide an opportunity for the younger vegetation to thrive and reinforce the growth of the hard wood.

For those in the know, is 20% commission of the proceeds form the timber sale the norm. He would be our agent and handle all the paperwork, permitting, contact the logger, lay out the land and supervise the process.

How do we know that we are getting the best outcome financially? Kates father has said in the past he felt like he got cheated out of $
    I'll defer the nitty gritty to Randy. Pretty sure he's well versed in this. However, I will add that all loggers/foresters are used car dealers. They're only in it for themselves and will sugar coat their point of view to make you FEEL good about it.

That said, we made out pretty good with our props. We had the road improved, a landing cleared and lots of skidding trails cut, which included filling in some low seasonal wetlands with limbs to form makeshift bridges. All that work cost us the equivalent of +/-48 cord of hardwood. But we got to chose roughly WHERE that hardwood came from. It was a good deal for us as most of our 20+ acres is hardwood. And the wood we allowed him to take was from areas we most likely wouldn't get to in 100 years. And when he left, we had him stack up a few years worth of logs for us at our landing.

We got lucky, and I knew what I wanted when we went into this. It also helped that his equipment was already out there as he was stripping the lot next to our. Just beware and be cautious. Go over everything carefully and pop in on the operation from time to time if you can.

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Good luck, every piece of land near me that has been logged has been really messed up afterwards. I ride mountain bikes, and we've lost a bunch of areas to logging just this year alone.

So basically he's a GC taking 20% of the wood sale.

I feel like, if I were in your position, I'd be seeking guidance from the NH Division of Forestry and Land. Under "Land Owners"--> "Forest Stewardship" there is a link for the UNH Extension which goes into more detail about what they do.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

We know the areas that we want worked on. These area are really off the radar and not really used in the lowland. There is also a bit of a selfish reason to open up the view to see more of the Presidential Peaks.

Forest Harvesting ?s-20210418_185819-jpgForest Harvesting ?s-property-harv-jpg

He works for the https://www.neforestryconsultants.com/ https://www.neforestryconsultants.co...falkenham.html

Yea, we are already part of the Tree Farm Org and have had had forestry plans dating back into the 1980's

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by nt650hawk; 04-23-21 at 09:57 AM.
    Gino
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    So basically he's a GC taking 20% of the wood sale.

I feel like, if I were in your position, I'd be seeking guidance from the NH Division of Forestry and Land. Under "Land Owners"--> "Forest Stewardship" there is a link for the UNH Extension which goes into more detail about what they do.
    Good post!

Quote Originally Posted by nt650hawk View Post
    We know the areas that we want worked on. These area are really off the radar and not really used in the lowland. There is also a bit of a selfish reason to open up the view to see more of the Presidential Peaks.

Forest Harvesting ?s-20210418_185819-jpgForest Harvesting ?s-property-harv-jpg
    Is that up around Dalton?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Good post!

Is that up around Dalton?
    Shhhhhh..... it is.

The shit got real this past weekend....
    Forest Harvesting ?s-20200418_150252-jpg

Last edited by nt650hawk; 04-23-21 at 10:55 AM.
    Gino

We are looking into the same thing with our property in RI. The two local loggers I talked with so far, have both told me the price of logs is almost changing by the day. It’s also important for us to preserve a lot of the natural features to the property, and several historic man made features. I basically if you cut a tree, you take everything, or at minimum chip the tops. We have about 50-60 acres of 100 year old white pines, and 40-50 acres of mixed hardwoods that are primarily red oak and sugar maple. While they did not give us a total value of the entire project, both said we would likely be looking at a 6 figure paycheck and it would take 3-4 months. If we verbally agree, they will inventory the trees and give us a firm price.

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

lemme check, the Forester our Conservation Commission uses, only gets a 15% commission iirc, 20% seems high

what really sucks, with the price increases at the lumber yard, you'd expect that stumpage prices would be up as well, but they are not, certainly not proportionately

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    what really sucks, with the price increases at the lumber yard, you'd expect that stumpage prices would be up as well, but they are not, certainly not proportionately
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/lumber-...ing_now_news_3

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

if stumpage price was up proportionate to final product price, I'd be clear cutting my little 2 ac. lot, instead of $20-30k of pine logs, I'd have $100k worth, but I get the enjoyment of big wood, I did a small harvest 20 years ago, 13 trees, enuf to build my 30x30x3story barn, I am looking at another similar size harvest, this time some hemlock too, maybe 15k board feet, manna build a woodshed/implement storage shed, a gazebo, and maybe a cabin by my fire pit, at current price of lumber, it is well worth buying a sawmill, and selling it after I cut my lumber, Everybody local has WoodMizer except one of my friends has a Thomas, built in Maine, generic parts that can be sourced at any NAPA store, I'm setting up a time to watch it run, I'm also leaning toward the Thomas, cause the comparable model to the Woodmizer LT15? can cut 4" larger diameter, and I know based on discussions with LT15 owners, I'm gonna be ripping a slab off my bigger trees with a chain saw to fit them in the mill, but nowhere near big enuf to justify the next larger Woodmizer mill

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    100 year old white pines
    24"-32" dbh range ? 120-150 ft. tall ± (80-90 ft of logs) ? My trees approximate same age, yielded 1000-1200 board feet on average, per tree in my last harvest 20 years ago, I suspect, I have some now that might yield 1500 bd ft.now

RandyO
    IBA#9560

I'd be clear cutting my little 2 ac. lot
    Is there a market for this? I have probably 20 or so 18" or greater diameter pines I wouldn't miss. I've been picking at them over the last few years but have run out of use for the trunks and have enough camp wood for a lifetime or so.
    I've been contacted by a couple guys. Ask around about them and they have bad reputations for leaving a mess. I have a house in the middle of it too so someone I trust won't land one of them on the house would be nice as well.

Everyone I know pays to have trees removed. Last time I hired the local favorite guy he shredded all the pine and dumped the chips out back.

One of my neighbors insists the oak we have is worth a "fortune" for veneer. That guy often turns out to have no idea wtf he's talking about.

The prior landowner and seemingly every neighbor has been ripped off by loggers. They make tow truck operators look like Vanderbilts.

We only have 12 acres so I’ve only cut pines for our own use. There are enough blow downs for firewood.

Last edited by Garandman; 04-24-21 at 03:51 PM.
    “When it comes to the kitchen, I have a narrow band of competency.”
    Master Mechanic Roger Barr in “Chasing Classic Cars.”

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Is there a market for this?
    not really, not worth setting up for 20 trees

RandyO
    IBA#9560

24"-32" dbh range ? 120-150 ft. tall ± (80-90 ft of logs) ? My trees approximate same age, yielded 1000-1200 board feet on average, per tree in my last harvest 20 years ago, I suspect, I have some now that might yield 1500 bd ft.now
    24"-32" is average, there's a few scattered that are probably 40"+.
    We cut one tree 3 years ago that was 40" at the base and was a little over 100' tall, I think most here are around 80-100'.

I still have 20 pieces of 1"x24"x16' boards stored in my barn from the one tree we cut.

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    24"-32" is average, there's a few scattered that are probably 40"+.
    We cut one tree 3 years ago that was 40" at the base and was a little over 100' tall, I think most here are around 80-100'.

I still have 20 pieces of 1"x24"x16' boards stored in my barn from the one tree we cut.
    most of mine are straight, and don't have a branch for 75 feet, I got one that might be 40", but it aint straight, it's one that I want to cut, I won't get straight logs longer than 8ft , and it will have knots

I have 1 leftover clear pine 1"x16"x20ft from my harvest 20 years ago, my plan, that never happened, was routing my business name in it to use as a sign

Last edited by RandyO; 04-24-21 at 09:53 PM.
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

I’ve been trying to justify a bandsaw mill, but can’t.

Used an Alaska Mill to make some 4x10x12’ beams, and some 2”x10”x10’ but that is pretty slow.

“When it comes to the kitchen, I have a narrow band of competency.”
    Master Mechanic Roger Barr in “Chasing Classic Cars.”

Is there a market for this? I have probably 20 or so 18" or greater diameter pines I wouldn't miss. I've been picking at them over the last few years but have run out of use for the trunks and have enough camp wood for a lifetime or so.
    I've been contacted by a couple guys. Ask around about them and they have bad reputations for leaving a mess. I have a house in the middle of it too so someone I trust won't land one of them on the house would be nice as well.

Everyone I know pays to have trees removed. Last time I hired the local favorite guy he shredded all the pine and dumped the chips out back.

One of my neighbors insists the oak we have is worth a "fortune" for veneer. That guy often turns out to have no idea wtf he's talking about.
    No one can price a log until it's on the ground. Even then for veneer, if you have a log that qualifies, doesn't get priced until someone buys it iirc. For what it's worth we send a load of logs every year and I don't think a single one has ever seen sold for veneer.

I think my neighbor and I own a lot of firewood.
    More than 3/4 of mine is pine.

I think my neighbor and I own a lot of firewood.
    More than 3/4 of mine is pine.
    pine makes shitty firewood

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    I’ve been trying to justify a bandsaw mill, but can’t.

Used an Alaska Mill to make some 4x10x12’ beams, and some 2”x10”x10’ but that is pretty slow.
    I'm planning on buying one, getting my use out of it and then selling, chain saw milling is slow, and a huge kerf, and rough, bandsaw is minimal kerf and smooth cut, difference in kerf might be close to 50 board feet/tree going into saw chips with a chain saw mill

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Quote Originally Posted by capitalcrew View Post
    No one can price a log until it's on the ground. Even then for veneer, if you have a log that qualifies, doesn't get priced until someone buys it iirc. For what it's worth we send a load of logs every year and I don't think a single one has ever seen sold for veneer.
    Not true in our case. We knew what we were getting before it hit the ground. Sent a couple truckloads to Nova Scotia a few years ago.

EDIT: In our case it was oak, not pine.

I've eyed a small mill. Priorities = need a tractor first

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Gino

Great thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast