Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Hybrid Water Heater (Heat pump style)

Hybrid Water Heater (Heat pump style)

Anyone have any experience/input on these?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omivdhxdGv0

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rheem-Pe...742081#overlay

Thinking of picking one up for a few reasons.
    1.) Energy/money savings. Currently heating my water with oil, estimates say .5 - 1 gallon per day. vs proposed $110/year.
    1.) If we go solar... "free" hot water?

2.)Oil savings. I like the idea of using my oil for only heating my house, not thinking about refilling the tank mid-summer because the furnace is burning oil for hot water.

My concern is really how effective will this system be in my basement, in Rhode Island, in the winter? Waste of money? Savings as predicted, slightly less?

The video above presents that in 4 years this thing will be paying for itself.

FWIW, $700 estimate to install, $600 rebate covers most of that.

Gimme yo thoughts, boys!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2015/2016 NESR Fantasy Road Race CHAMPION

now retired LLRS AM #642

Re: Hybrid Water Heater (Heat pump style)

I have the 65 gallon version of the Rheem you linked. Installed it in a similar situation as yourself. We had a "tankless" coil on our boiler. One plumber we talked to called it the "single least efficient way to heat domestic hot water" or some such. Our coil was plugged up. We had really terrible hot water. The coil couldn't keep up with the tub for the kids. Bought the hybrid tank and haven't had that problem since. The girls can manage to run out if they take baths back-to-back. But otherwise we have more than enough. No problem in my southern NH basement in the winter. My basement is not insulated and not nearly as tight as I wish it were. Also the heater is right next to the boiler. So there is some ambient heat in the winter. Nice added bonus is the unit de-humidifies. Routing the condensate drain was one of the few challenges; it generates a ton of condensate in the summer. Also the plumbing on the unit is on the side, not the top like most tank heaters. So it is a little weird to plumb.

I now turn the boiler off for summer. Oil usage drops to zero for those months.

We also went solar. I am currently making money with a net negative usage. I expect to continue doing so until we install the window AC units.
    I didn't keep very good track but I believe the ~$100/yr estimate on the yellow sticker.

I've heard of some hybrid pumps failing, getting noisy or not being able to keep up with demand after a couple years. We will see.

I would do it again.

I have a Rheem 50 gallon that i put in after my last water heater decided to leak everywhere while we were on vacation almost exactly 2 years ago. With rebates and whatnot, I was able to get it for about the cost of a mid-grade standard electric. The big thing I wanted was wifi connectivity of the leak detectors which all the hybrids come with standard. I like that it dehumidifies the basement and it has saved us some money in electricity, but nothing that's going to let me retire earlier. I have it set on a schedule to go into "high demand" mode when we first wake up and when we get home from work and school. All other times it falls back into an energy saver mode. Unless it craps out early, I would definitely buy it again.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

My house has a dedicated meter for the water heater and it only used 65kWh last billing cycle for a house of 4.

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I have the 65 gallon version of the Rheem you linked. Installed it in a similar situation as yourself. We had a "tankless" coil on our boiler. One plumber we talked to called it the "single least efficient way to heat domestic hot water" or some such. Our coil was plugged up. We had really terrible hot water. The coil couldn't keep up with the tub for the kids. Bought the hybrid tank and haven't had that problem since. The girls can manage to run out if they take baths back-to-back. But otherwise we have more than enough. No problem in my southern NH basement in the winter. My basement is not insulated and not nearly as tight as I wish it were. Also the heater is right next to the boiler. So there is some ambient heat in the winter. Nice added bonus is the unit de-humidifies. Routing the condensate drain was one of the few challenges; it generates a ton of condensate in the summer. Also the plumbing on the unit is on the side, not the top like most tank heaters. So it is a little weird to plumb.

I now turn the boiler off for summer. Oil usage drops to zero for those months.

We also went solar. I am currently making money with a net negative usage. I expect to continue doing so until we install the window AC units.
    I didn't keep very good track but I believe the ~$100/yr estimate on the yellow sticker.

I've heard of some hybrid pumps failing, getting noisy or not being able to keep up with demand after a couple years. We will see.

I would do it again.
    Sounds like we have nearly the same situation minus extra people. I have a smaller heat pump tank as a result. My experience is pretty much the same. The only thing i would add is it does make my basement cooler and drier which is fine with me since i have an old rock foundation mostly and dont spend much time down there. I havent had it long but in the back of my head i did worry about my basement freezing in the winter but its been fine. My boiler is right next to it so i think it feeds it a little too and keeps the temps up in the winter. I will put some effort this year into making the basement a little more insulated as a precaution.

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

the only thing I can say bad about them is the recovery time on them can be a big longer than a regular electric H.W.W.