Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Knee swelling pain

Knee swelling pain

Over exertion, maybe twisted it moving some heavy things around on Sunday. I didn't notice anything til Monday, then the swelling and hurt set in. Going the R-I-C-E route, plus Ibuprofen, the swelling is coming down. Keeping my leg straight, no problem, weight bearing, no problem, hurts some when I flex the knee. On stairs, I take them one at a time with a hiking pole to help.

Anybody experience anything similar? How did it go?

Tell me I'll be fine. And will be riding again in a couple of days.

Thank you.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by whynot; 06-09-21 at 07:15 AM.
    Don't believe everything you think.

Re: Knee swelling pain

Speaking entirely from an arthritis point of view (one knee is bone on bone, the other is almost there), Cryo Cuff is the way to go. I rely on mine regularly. In all my years of dealing with knee pain, it's the best thing I've ever encountered. Great thing about the Cryo Cuff is you can get cuffs for different body areas. Even though your situation sounds more muscular, it'll still be a big help. Once you get one you'll have it for life and you'll never look back.

I'm not a fan of pain meds, so I add in a couple Aleve in the morning and a couple before I crash for the night.

Other than that, it sounds like you're approaching it correctly. GO EASY ON IT!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Thanks. I've got some shopping to do.

Are you using this one, by prescription only?

https://www.donjoyperformance.com/ai...knee-cryo-cuff

So many knee supports:

Right now, I have an ACE bandage wrapped. Planning to stop in the Walgreens up the street for their knee support sleeve, a few dollars, al least it won't unwind.

Quote Originally Posted by whynot View Post

So many knee supports:

Right now, I have an ACE bandage wrapped. Planning to stop in the Walgreens up the street for their knee support sleeve, a few dollars, al least it won't unwind.
    That's pretty much the one. I can't remember the brand name, but I got it through my physician. I go about 30 minutes at a whack when I fill the cuff up.

In *MY* case, compression wraps are a big HELL NO. By the sounds of your situation, maybe look for something that's not too tight but has side supports and an opening for your kneecap. If it's too tight, you may end up doing more harm than good. Knees are a fickle bitch.

So many knee supports:

Have suffered a few knee injuries doing Brazillian Jiu Jitsu.
    Wore a knee brace
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F3LD9PV/

That helped, knee warmups before starting the day also helps getting the blood flowing. Hope you heal up soon

I had it recurring a few years ago. Peaked on a weekend getaway with the girl. We set off for a ~8 mile hike. Half way through we were on the beach walking in soft sand and I was feeling it in the knee. Half way back to the house I was almost down to a crawl, breaks every 10'. Girlie had to help me back the rest of the way. That evening I was in bed with a pile of ice on the knee as it blew up. Immobile for 2 days after.

Wound up at the sports doc + an MRI. Doc wanted to cut, meniscus repair. I resisted. Wanted to do PT. Finally broke down and went under the knife. 45 minutes total. 2 days later I was 110%. Huge improvement.

I'm now feeling tinges of the same kind of pain now and then from the other knee.

Have your uric acid level checked next time you have bloodwork. Mine was high. Would occasionally get terrible gout in foot joints and knee.

bubba -- whoa, what a story. Helps reduce my anxiety in case I go to the doc. (I put off hernia surgery for quite a while, but when it became inevitable, it was easy and no problems now for three years.)

jimmycapp -- will do, thanks.

Had similar-ish symptoms many years ago from what ended up being a medial meniscus tear. R-I-C-E’d it into relative submission but by 6 months I had it scoped to remove a floater that occasionally caused a lockup. Same experience as Bubs it sounds like. Quick and good as new after. And it was kinda cool watching the scope-view while they did it.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

And eventually.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Knee swelling pain-c37444b9-268f-4c79-95f1-57114cc8769f  

“When it comes to the kitchen, I have a narrow band of competency.”
    Master Mechanic Roger Barr in “Chasing Classic Cars.”

Quote Originally Posted by bassomatic View Post
    Had similar-ish symptoms many years ago from what ended up being a medial meniscus tear. R-I-C-E’d it into relative submission but by 6 months I had it scoped to remove a floater that occasionally caused a lockup. Same experience as Bubs it sounds like. Quick and good as new after. And it was kinda cool watching the scope-view while they did it.
    Thanks. I need to hear re-assuring stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    And eventually.
    Whoa. Not there yet.

Meanwhile, slow improvement, RICE + Ibuprofen etc. I'll see how the weekend goes. Could be worse. Meanwhile, I'm on light duty, and the bikes sit.

A few years ago, I had some PT for shoulder issues. Got that sorted. A couple of years ago, I was getting a weird pain/ache in my right arm, figured it was arthritis and carpal tunnel, then I read about the ulnar nerve and cubital tunnel. Got that pretty well sorted with various exercises and stretches, and found "nerve-gliding exercises" that really helped. Now, it seems we move on to the knees ... .

In a few days I'll turn 79 gd yo. My motto: keep moving.

Last edited by whynot; 06-11-21 at 06:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmycapp View Post
    Have your uric acid level checked next time you have bloodwork. Mine was high. Would occasionally get terrible gout in foot joints and knee.
    This is a REALLY good point. My uric acid levels are high and manifests flare-ups in my ankles (which is why I keep the heel shifter on my Street Glide). Big Shirl calls me Lunch Lady when my gout acts up.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    This is a REALLY good point. My uric acid levels are high and manifests flare-ups in my ankles (which is why I keep the heel shifter on my Street Glide). Big Shirl calls me Lunch Lady when my gout acts up.
    ooof man. it's the worst.

So regarding knee pain, it's very specific when I get a flair up. It starts with a little soreness when I fully extend my knee, like when walking in sand where your knee fully extends. Next day it's like it won't extend fully, like there it fluid build up right before full extension. Carries on like that with less flexibility and pain. Elevated on the couch for a while, walking without bending it. Really sucks. Not your typical pulled tendon pain.

ooof man. it's the worst.
    Fuckin' hate it. All foods I love are factors. And I drink my fair share of beer, at least a 30-pack/week, usually more. I was amazed to learn that a decent spread of fruits & vegetables are contributors as well.

So regarding knee pain, it's very specific when I get a flair up. It starts with a little soreness when I fully extend my knee, like when walking in sand where your knee fully extends. Next day it's like it won't extend fully, like there it fluid build up right before full extension. Carries on like that with less flexibility and pain. Elevated on the couch for a while, walking without bending it. Really sucks. Not your typical pulled tendon pain.
    Yeah, mine's very different although "tearing" my knee up when I was young was a contributing factor. It's just bone on bone for me know and it can be excruciating. On good days I can bend my right knee to about 90 degrees without assistance and can get my left knee to full curl with assistance. When my right knee starts acting up it can be a couple months of hobbling around in incredible pain. It's a HUGE factor in why I'm now riding a Street Glide. LOL!

Aleve is about the only thing I take for it as I won't take pain killers. But the Cryocuff is my go-to every day during the flare-ups. I bring it to work to use throughout the day and continue the cycle at home.

Sure sounds familiar to me. My ultimate diagnosis was meniscus tear. I think you need x-rays and then an MRI to confirm. Mine was minor, almost not visible. I was sure the doc was making an excuse to bill me and it wasn't going to help anything. I was wrong. The guy with a medical degree and a couple decades of experience here was right. Go figure.

...anxiety in case I go to the doc. (I put off hernia surgery for quite a while, but when it became inevitable, it was easy and no problems now for three years.)
    Yup. I am a terrible patient. Dentist says I have 3 cavities that need to be filled and I will ask for a second opinion. "Can't we address this with diet and exercise?!"
    I had a small scale freak out when the surgeon told me we needed to operate on my knee. I am not good with that. I really did walk in the building expecting to get referred to PT. I asked about alternatives. He smiled and told me something about how they used to just open up your knee, pull the meniscus out and throw it in the trash. "So, we can call this is the less invasive alternative!"

Recovery was a joke. I was supposed to be on the couch with the knee elevated using crutches for weeks. 2nd night after the surgery something happened in the house at 2AM and all hell broke loose. I jumped out of bed and sprinted down the hall to grab the dogs without even thinking about it. Missus chewed me out for not using the crutches. I was fine. Blew my chance at personalized maid service after that. Modern day arthroscopic surgery is fucking amaze-balls.

If they say you need to go that route schedule it as soon as you can. If it is something else ignore this post.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Sure sounds familiar to me. My ultimate diagnosis was meniscus tear. I think you need x-rays and then an MRI to confirm. Mine was minor, almost not visible. I was sure the doc was making an excuse to bill me and it wasn't going to help anything. I was wrong. The guy with a medical degree and a couple decades of experience here was right. Go figure.
    Thanks. Hopefully that's not my issue, but we'll see. They 100% go away after 6 days give or take. Happened twice in the past 2 years, with no know physical trigger I can think of.

My stuff went away too. It was getting worse though in that it took less and less to inflame it. Ultimately it came down to a quality of life thing.
    1x per year wouldn't have me headed to the doc either. 1x per weekend would be different though. Hopefully we can all agree there is a line somewhere between those two marks.

Conversely I had some massive shoulder pain a few years back. It was related to a high-side I gave myself at T2 @ NHMS in the rain and never had checked out. I ignored it for a long while and finally got referred to an awesome PT here in town who fixed me up with some hot towels, stretches and whatever other sorcery she practices. No knives involved.

Moral here-I think-is that when the pain gets enough to keep you from doing stuff you should seek professional help. Often they can fix it quicker and easier than you probably thought.

That statement may be "no shit sherlock" to some. But it often is not obvious to me. I too often need to be reminded.

I have arthritis in both knees. Had one drained and got a steroid injection last month because it got so bad I couldn't move my leg at all. Also have it in my right ankle, both shoulders and my hands.My doctor said "you have arthritis. The good news is it's osteoarthritis and not Rheumatoid arthritis". I said how is that good news. She said Rheumatoid hurts more. Boy do I feel lucky.

You suck at life. Why don't you quit?

My dad told me I could be anything I wanted when I grew up. So I became an Asshole.