Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Kymco UXV450i

Kymco UXV450i

Just wondering if anyone has experience with Kymco ATVs or side by sides

been looking as swapping work for ATVs, we already acquired an older Polaris Sportsman 330 4x4 (with less than 50 miles) and a not quite as old Yamaha Kodiak 400 4x4, also with low miles and still have credit with the dealer. last week, I looked at a well used 2013 Suzuki King Quad 500 AXiLE 4x4, but found out I can get into a new 2015 Kymco UTV for the same $$, I like that it has a bench seat instead of buckets that I don't fit in, seems like it would be a better crew work vehicle than an ATV even though it is 8" wider (2" wider wheelbase)

I can prolly get a winch thrown in as well

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Re: Kymco UXV450i

I'd expect that machine to be VERY underpowered and not be as off road capable as any of the used ATVs you mentioned.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / 2000 LS650P / 2019 KTM 150SX / 2016 KTM 250XC

Kymco has been making ATV's & SxS's for the big manu's for years. They're actually decent machines, among the higher quality Chinese brands. Some of the larger manu's still sell rebadged Kymcos as their own...

They're especially known still for manufacturing a lot of the smaller ATV's for the larger brands. My daughter's Arctic Cat 250 is a rebadged Kymco in fact, and we've had zero issues with it in the 7 or so years we've had it...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    I'd expect that machine to be VERY underpowered and not be as off road capable as any of the used ATVs you mentioned.
    I'm guessing this is far more for work than play. I doubt it would be underpowered when compared to like vehicles of similar displacement. Kymco still supplies engines to a handful of these guys as well...

FYI, the BMW scooters have Kymco drivetrains.

Normal is an illusion, what is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by sedanman View Post
    Doesn't surprise me. I believe they're the largest manufacturer of scooters in China...

Quote Originally Posted by sedanman View Post

And if you bought certain model BMW Motorcycles, you have a bike assembled by Kymco...S1000rr is one of them

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    I'm guessing this is far more for work than play. I doubt it would be underpowered when compared to like vehicles of similar displacement. Kymco still supplies engines to a handful of these guys as well...
    correct, this would be a work vehicle, towing firewood in my carbou sled and a survey crew vehicle on surveys of larger parcels

it wouldn't quite fit in my utility trailer like the other atvs we have that fit in like a glove, but I would be able to haul it with the side boards off

it has better ground clearance than the similar honda, kawi & yamaha utvs and the honda & yamaha are more than double the price, also with tiny fuel tanks, the polaris has only slighly better specs with 50% higher cost, the kawi mule is similar cost, but not even close in specs

RandyO
    IBA#9560

I'm thinking in a work environment it'll still be underpowered. As in going up a hill unloaded with just a driver, better shift to low or burn the belt up trying. Kubota's diesels SxS suffer this same issue.

771 Racing -=- FaceBook

I'm thinking in a work environment it'll still be underpowered. As in going up a hill unloaded with just a driver, better shift to low or burn the belt up trying. Kubota's diesels SxS suffer this same issue.
    I just went to Kubota website, the Kymco 450i (33hp) is double the hp of Kubota's gas models (16hp for the 404cc thumper and 15.8hp for the 456cc twin) and 50% more hp than Kubota's 898cc diesel triple (21.6hp), even Kubota's big 1123cc diesel is only 24.8 hp, I'm sure the Kubotas have more torque, but they also weigh twice as much

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Doubt those are real world numbers and I'm sure the vehicle in question is half the cost of everything else for a reason.

If it's actually 33hp, that puts it at about the same HP as the Outlander 400 Max I was playing with... I'll have to compare weights but for work duty that should be ok.

771 Racing -=- FaceBook

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    Doubt those are real world numbers and I'm sure the vehicle in question is half the cost of everything else for a reason.

I should have said half the cost for me,

of the brands available with my dealer

list price of the 450UXV450i is $7999, the Polaris RangerETX (31hp) lists at $8799, the Kawasaki Mule starts at $6999 but is carbed instead of FI, Honda Pioneer 500 is $8499

a quick rip around the yard at my dealer it is very comparable in performance to the above mentioned UTVs

Yamaha's smallest UTV is 686cc and priced on par with the Kymco UXV700

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Seems you're caught up in HP numbers a bit. Somewhat understandable however I suspect the numbers are pumped just enough to appear competitive. You will get your 33hp but it will come during very specific conditions.
    My comment about price was made more along the lines of overall build quality. I think it's great that Kymco is supplying assemblies to long-established companies and to that I would say they are building those parts to their customer's specs. Beyond that you are almost certainly not buying Honda quality/reliability at Sam's club prices when it comes to their own offerings.

Overall I am very surprised to see you exploring a product such as this while knowing the reasons you'd avoid Chinese tractors. Seems the same logic isnt carrying over.....not saying it negatively, more of an observation.

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    Overall I am very surprised to see you exploring a product such as this while knowing the reasons you'd avoid Chinese tractors. Seems the same logic isnt carrying over.....not saying it negatively, more of an observation.
    the reason I would not get a chinese tractor is due to the fact that they are not putting high enuf volume hydraulic pumps in them, when they do, I would consider one in a heartbeat, their hydraulic pumps are great for running backhoes & loaders, but not high speed rotary hydraulic attachments

I realise that Kymco's HP number is only a claim, the Kymco also has better ground clearance than the closest competition models and uses larger wheels, and as I posted, retail prices are not that far apart, because they are very similar in price and built but less popular I am able to get the best deal just to get it off the lot, I can get almost as good a deal (maybe better when you consider the specs) on a Polaris, that is very popular, but that is because Polaris offers more incentives. The only reason I am not considering a Polaris is cause they don't have a bench seat, and the buckets are too small and uncomfortable for me.

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Doesn't surprise me. I believe they're the largest manufacturer of scooters in China...
    Korea... Not China

I know I'm being picky, but there's a big difference in the power sports industry

My decision point came down to parts availability and aftermarket support. Before I settled on my Polaris RZR, I did a ton of research on a lot of brands.

Several models had features that I wanted but Polaris had by far the largest dealer network and online parts retailers. When something breaks, because I'm sure you know it will, you'll most likely find someone with a Polaris shop to get you back up and running quickly. Kymco doesn't seem to have anywhere near the parts/dealer support that Polaris, Arctic Cat, Yamaha,Can Am have.

I spent a little more money but in the end, I'm happy with my RZR and have already sourced a bunch of things for it..,cheaply.

Quote Originally Posted by GixerJockey View Post
    Korea... Not China

I know I'm being picky, but there's a big difference in the power sports industry
    Kymco is a Taiwan company with manufacturing plants in Taiwan, mainland China and Malaysia, but not Korea

Last edited by RandyO; 09-04-15 at 07:32 AM.
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

Quote Originally Posted by jcbell1007 View Post
    Kymco doesn't seem to have anywhere near the parts/dealer support that Polaris, Arctic Cat, Yamaha,Can Am have.
    correct, but I'm not going to be riding a UTV across country like a bike or a sled, I have a reliable local dealer that I can count on. and unlike unbranded chinese scooters, Kymco is consistent with replacement parts

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    Kymco is a Taiwan company with manufacturing plants in Taiwan, mainland China and Malaysia, but not Korea
    What Randy said.

I just wanted to point out that Jay was wrong. After that, nothing mattered.

Speaking of Kymco, anyone got a parts catalog with replacement scooter engines? I can find motors for chinese brands all day long, but no complete new assemblies for Kymcos...

771 Racing -=- FaceBook

I thought Taiwan IS China. Time to check that globe again...

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    the reason I would not get a chinese tractor is due to the fact that they are not putting high enuf volume hydraulic pumps in them, when they do, I would consider one in a heartbeat, their hydraulic pumps are great for running backhoes & loaders, but not high speed rotary hydraulic attachments .
    And with that said, you don't think there will be shortcomings with this unit?

Speaking of Kymco, anyone got a parts catalog with replacement scooter engines? I can find motors for chinese brands all day long, but no complete new assemblies for Kymcos...
    my local dealer (Rochester Motorsports) has parts fiche for Kymco scooters online, but like every other major brand they do not have complete engine assemblies, just the individual parts Parts Finder Rochester Motorsports Rochester, NH (603) 335-5700

RandyO
    IBA#9560

I'll have to give them a ring later, nice to see a parts fiche for the 2T People 50 though, usually all I find is the 4T.

771 Racing -=- FaceBook

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast