Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Moving plates from one trailer to another

Moving plates from one trailer to another

I'm thinking about buying a small sailing dinghy up in VT, about four hours away. The kosher way to do this (in Mass) would be to go up there, buy the boat/trailer, come back down to Mass, register the trailer and get a plate for it, then go back up and get it.

I don't want to go up there twice, so I'm thinking of bringing the plate from my current small trailer up there and temporarily putting it on (that is, if I buy this thing -- I haven't seen it yet).

I know there are huge penalties for swapping car plates, but what's the penalty for swapping trailer plates? Since small trailers are uninsured and uninspected, I can't imagine it'd be as bad as swapping car plates. Also seems like the chances of getting caught would be pretty low. Anyone ever done this?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Joe
    04 Thruxton (Street)
    01 SV650 (Track)
    75 CB400F (Future Vintage Racer)
    68 BSA Royal Star (Garage Floor Lubricator)

Re: Moving plates from one trailer to another

Quote Originally Posted by joeswamp View Post
    I'm thinking about buying a small sailing dinghy up in VT, about four hours away. The kosher way to do this (in Mass) would be to go up there, buy the boat/trailer, come back down to Mass, register the trailer and get a plate for it, then go back up and get it.

I don't want to go up there twice, so I'm thinking of bringing the plate from my current small trailer up there and temporarily putting it on (that is, if I buy this thing -- I haven't seen it yet).

I know there are huge penalties for swapping car plates, but what's the penalty for swapping trailer plates? Since small trailers are uninsured and uninspected, I can't imagine it'd be as bad as swapping car plates. Also seems like the chances of getting caught would be pretty low. Anyone ever done this?
    What's the penalty for not having plates at all? I feel like I'd rather roll the dice on that, than knowingly swapping plates that don't belong...

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

I imagine the penalty would be similar, but the difference is that missing plates would guarantee that you'd get pulled over.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by joeswamp; 04-26-21 at 01:57 PM.
    Joe
    04 Thruxton (Street)
    01 SV650 (Track)

You have a 7 day grace period to get it switched over.

Transfer your registration to a vehicle or trailer purchased from an individual
    If you own a vehicle or trailer and purchase a new vehicle or trailer from an individual, you may transfer your registration to the newly acquired vehicle.
    Massachusetts allows a grace period of 7 calendar days from the date you dispose of your previous vehicle to register your newly acquired vehicle.

https://www.mass.gov/how-to/transfer...-an-individual

TIMMYDUCK

I'd swap it for the trip and run it.

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Lifer

I do it all the time and have never had a problem. Even been pulled over for other things and never a word said. I do make sure the trailers are kind of the same though. My enclosed trailer plates dont go on my boat trailer for example.

What Timmyduck said.

Just use the old plate. If for someone reason, you meet an incredible asshole of a cop and it's an issue you would just technically need to have "sold" the old trailer. So a bill of sale whipped up to a friend or something

2012 Tiger 800 XC

(4) Try not to be a dick. PurplePackage's Avatar

You can also register it in VT and skip the 2nd trip if you schedule an appointment:

https://appengine.egov.com/apps/vt/D...ocumentswizard

I imagine the penalty would be similar, but the difference is that missing plates would guarantee that you'd get pulled over.
    no, swapping plates is "misuse of plates" a bigger penalty than no registration, because your intent is to deceive, and missing plates won't necessarily get you pulled over, I had temporary plates that disintegrated un a thunderstorm, and drove for over a month with no plates, several thousand miles, in Maine, NH & VT, and never got pulled over, I knew that if I did, I had a registration in my glove box, but as I said, never got pulled over

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    I do it all the time and have never had a problem. Even been pulled over for other things and never a word said. I do make sure the trailers are kind of the same though. My enclosed trailer plates dont go on my boat trailer for example.
    This is what I was hoping to hear. I know the staties have automatic plate readers, but I can't imagine they can identify the make and model of a junky old trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    What Timmyduck said.

Just use the old plate. If for someone reason, you meet an incredible asshole of a cop and it's an issue you would just technically need to have "sold" the old trailer. So a bill of sale whipped up to a friend or something
    This is a good idea. There's actually some paperwork that's supposed to be filed with the registry for this, but I guess I can plead ignorance or something.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    no, swapping plates is "misuse of plates" a bigger penalty than no registration, because your intent is to deceive, and missing plates won't necessarily get you pulled over, I had temporary plates that disintegrated un a thunderstorm, and drove for over a month with no plates, several thousand miles, in Maine, NH & VT, and never got pulled over, I knew that if I did, I had a registration in my glove box, but as I said, never got pulled over
    Good point. I suspect I wouldn't be pulled over in Maine, NH, or VT, but Mass tends to be more strict on this kinda stuff.

These little trailers are not inspected or insured, and the reg fees are like $20 per year so I don't feel like I'm really pulling a fast one on the state if I borrow a trailer plate for a single trip. Maybe the guy will have a VT plate already on it and I can mail it back to him, that would probably be the best case scenario.

Joe
    04 Thruxton (Street)
    01 SV650 (Track)

This is a good idea. There's actually some paperwork that's supposed to be filed with the registry for this, but I guess I can plead ignorance or something.
    Yes, it's transferring the registration, but there is a 7 day grace period to do it. So you're legal for 7 days if you've "sold" the trailer.

In all reality, cops everywhere don't seem to be stopping people right now unless they're doing something really stupid. Don't be an idiot and the odds of getting stopped are extremely low. If you are stopped, you just sold your other trailer and are within the 7 day window to transfer. You're allowed to still use the plate and you will also have the bill of sale with you for the new to you trailer. It would take a real prick to escalate that into a citation that should get immediately tossed with a hearing.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

I'd rock the old plate. YOLO

2015/2016 NESR Fantasy Road Race CHAMPION

now retired LLRS AM #642

Moving plates from one trailer to another-screen-shot-2021-04-27-a

RIDING THE RAILS

FWIW - I've been using a watercraft trailer that hasn't been registered in a few years for my Jet Ski. It hasn't been registered since BEFORE the previous owner.

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    FWIW - I've been using a watercraft trailer that hasn't been registered in a few years for my Jet Ski. It hasn't been registered since BEFORE the previous owner.
    that is what my son does, just runs the old expired plate from the previous owner.... pulling a 7000lb boat, the trailer requires inspection as it is over 3000 lbs, and brakes that work, only does 20 miles a year, 10 to the marina in Maine, and back, not sure what Maine laws he is violating

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Illegally attaching plates is not taken lightly. Moving violation. Surcharge. Tow on a flat bed. Court. Name in court actions or police log. Just pay the 50 bucks. And do two trips.

Last edited by Rambunctous; 04-27-21 at 12:18 PM.
    RIDING THE RAILS

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctous View Post
    Illegally attaching plates is not taken lightly. Moving violation. Surcharge. Tow on a flat bed. Court. Name in court actions or police log. Just pay the 50 bucks. And do two trips.
    I forgot to mention. Routine search and beating.

RIDING THE RAILS

I don't think that's how it works for trailers. What section says all that?

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/Gener...ter90/Section9

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePackage View Post
    I don't think that's how it works for trailers. What section says all that?

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/Gener...ter90/Section9
    https://malegislature.gov/laws/gener...er90/section23

and any person who attaches or permits to be attached to a motor vehicle or trailer a number plate assigned to another motor vehicle or trailer, or who obscures or permits to be obscured the figures on any number plate attached to any motor vehicle or trailer, or who fails to display on a motor vehicle or trailer the number plate and the register number duly issued therefor, with intent to conceal the identity of such motor vehicle or trailer, shall be punished by a fine of not more than one hundred dollars or by imprisonment for not more than ten days, or both.

Again, you can swap plates with a 7 day grace period in MA. It's not illegal.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Again, you can swap plates with a 7 day grace period in MA. It's not illegal.
    Not in a private deal. That is a dealer thingy with a trade in.

RIDING THE RAILS

Do you have proof of that? I've never seen that in writing every time I've researched it.

As long as you have proper paperwork you're fine and you don't need a dealer for paperwork.

Technically you're supposed to lose possession of the other vehicle, so whip up a bill of sale and "sell" the vehicle to friend. Go get you new shit. Once you arrive home, the friend changed their mind and you unwind the sale by tearing up the bill of sale. The friend never registered the trailer in their name within 7 days so the old plate goes back on the old trailer and the new trailer gets registered properly.

This really isn't hard to do completely legally if one wants to. Yeah, it's a little shady but still technically legal.

Last edited by e30addict; 04-27-21 at 01:20 PM.
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

yep lock em up, carl

Last edited by PurplePackage; 04-27-21 at 01:28 PM. Reason: wrong thred

Do you have proof of that? I've never seen that in writing every time I've researched it.

As long as you have proper paperwork you're fine and you don't need a dealer for paperwork.

Technically you're supposed to lose possession of the other vehicle, so whip up a bill of sale and "sell" the vehicle to friend. Go get you new shit. Once you arrive home, the friend changed their mind and you unwind the sale by tearing up the bill of sale. The friend never registered the trailer in their name within 7 days so the old plate goes back on the old trailer and the new trailer gets registered properly.

This really isn't hard to do completely legally if one wants to. Yeah, it's a little shady but still technically legal.
    The proper paperwork is correct. On the official "Application For Transfer/Registration that a dealer will make out and check the Transfer box and on it it will list the trade in and trade in value. He also puts in his dealer #. You can leave the dealer and you have ten days to get to your insurance company for the stamps and then the registry. It is to prevent people from doing exactly what you described. Else some people would never even register the cars and just continue making out paperwork.

Last edited by Rambunctous; 04-27-21 at 01:36 PM.
    RIDING THE RAILS

“If you own a vehicle or trailer and purchase a new vehicle or trailer from an individual, you may transfer your registration to the newly acquired vehicle.

Massachusetts allows a grace period of 7 calendar days from the date you dispose of your previous vehicle to register your newly acquired vehicle.”

https://www.mass.gov/how-to/transfer...-an-individual

Last edited by Garandman; 04-27-21 at 02:22 PM.
    “When it comes to the kitchen, I have a narrow band of competency.”
    Master Mechanic Roger Barr in “Chasing Classic Cars.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast