Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 158 of 159 FirstFirst ... 78118138148149150151152153154155156157158159 LastLast
Results 3,926 to 3,950 of 3968

Official non-motorized motorcycle thread.

Re: Official non-motorized motorcycle thread.

Fudge. Had gotten a set of chainrings for the tri bike. Went to swap them over today and the big ring didn't fit. Come to find out they are a different pattern on the bottom right spoke. Balls. One that came off the bike is on the left.

Official non-motorized motorcycle thread.-pxl_20210517_191723027-jpg

Edit: I figured it out. Chain rings that I got were 6800 and I have 8000. Apparently it's impossible to find 53/39 in 8000 unless you buy a whole new crank assembly.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by csmutty; 05-17-21 at 04:26 PM.
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Gah! That sucks. I hate all the slightly different bolt patterns they use. 104/64 only for me. Hopefully direct mount will make this better, not worse.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtDawg21892 View Post
    Gah! That sucks. I hate all the slightly different bolt patterns they use. 104/64 only for me. Hopefully direct mount will make this better, not worse.
    In this case it isn't a bolt pattern. It's the shape of the "spoke" and the hub that it mounts to. The bottom right spoke on the 6800 has a radius that is concave where the 8000 has a radius that is convex. Seems like they changed it just so they wouldn't interchange with each other.

Last edited by csmutty; 05-18-21 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    In this case it isn't a bolt pattern. It's the shape of the "spoke" and the hub that it mounts to. The bottom right spoke on the 6800 has a radius that is concave where the 8000 has a radius that is convex. Seems like they changed it just so they wouldn't interchange with each other.
    It may have to do with size rings. I don't know much about Shimano, but the chainrings you posted have a different # of teeth. Usually the bolt hole diameter increases as # of teeth increases.
    SRAM has 2 standards for road bike crank sets. A quick look at Shimano's website and they may have up to 4.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ.../FC-R8000.html
    "The all-new SHIMANO ULTEGRA R8000 series crank features lightweight crankarms, a hollow outer chainring, and a wider gear pitch for increased clearance on modern road frames. It is available with 53-39, 52-36, 50-34, and 46-36T chainrings and 165, 170, 172.5, and 175mm crank arm lengths."

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...0/FC-6800.html
    "Average weight 696 g (53-39T), 689 g (52-36T), 681 g (50-34T), 677 g (46-36T)"

Unless those are weights with chainrings and they all share the same base crankset. Someone who knows shimano better can help, or you can look up part numbers.

Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 05-18-21 at 02:18 PM.
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Checked with friends, same size crankset for 53/39 as it is for 50/36 for Shimano 8000 crankset. Forget everything I said above in prior post.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    Checked with friends, same size crankset for 53/39 as it is for 50/36 for Shimano 8000 crankset. Forget everything I said above in prior post.
    Thanks Jay!

Got my first ride in for the season. Managed 18 miles with an average of 17.2mph. Felt and still feel good. Unfortunately I think my bike is getting tired. I've had it at least 10 years now and it doesn't owe me anything. With that said I'm starting to look at replacements. I'd like disc brakes and keep the price under 2k if possible. I'd be a little flexible for the right bike. I'm not tall at 5'6" so I would think most medium frames would be close. Looking for some suggestions.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    James
    12 KTM SMR 450
    07 CRF 250R
    LRRS/CCS #79
    NEMM #79

GMD Computrack
    Diamondback Designs
    Robs Dyno

What's tired about it?

What's tired about it?
    It's starting to creek and groan when I really step on it. Something in the drive train I think. Could be as simple as a chain or could need a complete drive train refresh/replacement. I could do a rebuild but between parts and tools I'll need I think I would be close to 1/2 way to a new bike.

James
    12 KTM SMR 450
    07 CRF 250R
    LRRS/CCS #79
    NEMM #79

GMD Computrack
    Diamondback Designs
    Robs Dyno

Quote Originally Posted by union View Post
    It's starting to creek and groan when I really step on it. Something in the drive train I think. Could be as simple as a chain or could need a complete drive train refresh/replacement. I could do a rebuild but between parts and tools I'll need I think I would be close to 1/2 way to a new bike.
    You probably just need new crank bearings. But I fully support getting a new bike as well haha.

I picked a beautiful day to have a frustrating day

A few days ago I went for a ride with a friend who led on a great route. I figured I would ride it again, solo, so I downloaded the .gpx file from Strava and uploaded it onto my Edge 1030. I followed the directions for about 10 miles before realizing I was actually pretty lost. Sigh.

I pulled over and noticed that the screw holding my headlight had fallen out, probably due to vibration. I stuck the headlight in my jersey pocket. A few miles later I hit a bump (while being passed by a car) hard enough that my Edge went flying out of the mount and landed upside-down on the road. Fortunately it wasn't damaged, but navigating with a GPS when it's tucked away in another jersey pocket is harder than it sounds I guess I could have used my phone, though.

Last but not least, the front derailleur struggled to get in and out of the small ring (this is a 2x Shimano 105 groupset) and the front brake makes a god-awful squeal near when fully applied. Other than that, it was a great day

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

After a lot of miles on this bike, thwarted by weird routes and riding mates in bad moods, I FINALLY rode my new MTB the way I wanted to. Friends with mechanicals and differing plans tried to thwart it again, but I just road 2.5 more hours when they all left.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5347675718

I finally called the day cause of arm-pump. I was wantinh more and already looking forward to next weekend. One of my top 3 days on a mountain bike for sure.

I replaced the front spring before last weekend and thought it may have still been too heavy. Its not, I just hadn't pushed it hard enough.
    Pointed steeply downhill, the brakes come alive. They bite HARD but it is very appropriate when you need it. Just a little too much when you don't. I'll take it.
    There were a couple jumps that I had nerves on and never hit on my old stumpjumper; this big, steep poppy step-up at the top of the list. Once I got that under my belt, it was game on for just about everything else. Its been awhile since I've done downhill, on a proper downhill bike, but I have just as much confidence on this (with my current skill set) then I had on the proper downhill rig.

I was unsure if I was going to bring this back east with me, since it isn't the best for the XC stuff, but I'm 100% brining it back now for bike park.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    After a lot of miles on this bike, thwarted by weird routes and riding mates in bad moods, I FINALLY rode my new MTB the way I wanted to. Friends with mechanicals and differing plans tried to thwart it again, but I just road 2.5 more hours when they all left.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5347675718

I finally called the day cause of arm-pump. I was wantinh more and already looking forward to next weekend. One of my top 3 days on a mountain bike for sure.

I replaced the front spring before last weekend and thought it may have still been too heavy. Its not, I just hadn't pushed it hard enough.
    Pointed steeply downhill, the brakes come alive. They bite HARD but it is very appropriate when you need it. Just a little too much when you don't. I'll take it.
    There were a couple jumps that I had nerves on and never hit on my old stumpjumper; this big, steep poppy step-up at the top of the list. Once I got that under my belt, it was game on for just about everything else. Its been awhile since I've done downhill, on a proper downhill bike, but I have just as much confidence on this (with my current skill set) then I had on the proper downhill rig.

I was unsure if I was going to bring this back east with me, since it isn't the best for the XC stuff, but I'm 100% brining it back now for bike park.
    nice ride! almost 40 miles and over 7k of vert is huge on a trail bike.
    Bike parks back east you say?
    Just let me know when and I'll totally come riding!

Not much for updates but...

Removed the old bottom bracket... (needed to buy the socket to do it)

Official non-motorized motorcycle thread.-pxl_20210525_013541558-jpg

Installed the new bottom bracket... (needed to buy the wrench to install it)

Official non-motorized motorcycle thread.-pxl_20210528_000439193-jpgOfficial non-motorized motorcycle thread.-pxl_20210527_235505001-jpgOfficial non-motorized motorcycle thread.-pxl_20210528_001001564-jpg

Put in the new pads for the carbon brake track.

Official non-motorized motorcycle thread.-pxl_20210528_001917333-jpgOfficial non-motorized motorcycle thread.-pxl_20210529_225817739-jpg

Upgraded to an oversized derailleur pulley.

Official non-motorized motorcycle thread.-pxl_20210528_210718217-jpgOfficial non-motorized motorcycle thread.-pxl_20210529_221919559-jpgOfficial non-motorized motorcycle thread.-pxl_20210529_235525029-jpg

Have an Ultegra crank but it has 170mm arms and compact rings. Ordered the correct crank but it's going to take a week or so to come in. Also am shopping for bars...and have to figure out what I am going to do with the stem. Need a set of pedals as well and I think that should be it as far as buying parts goes.

I made it back to Virginia key again today and did the loop twice with some of the trail offshoots added in. Really great day for it and there was an air show over south beach that I could watch from the trailhead benches. Pretty awesome to take a break and watch the planes.

I'm really out of shape, ha.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Not much for updates but...

Removed the old bottom bracket... (needed to buy the socket to do it)

Official non-motorized motorcycle thread.-pxl_20210525_013541558-jpg

Installed the new bottom bracket... (needed to buy the wrench to install it)

Official non-motorized motorcycle thread.-pxl_20210528_000439193-jpgOfficial non-motorized motorcycle thread.-pxl_20210527_235505001-jpgOfficial non-motorized motorcycle thread.-pxl_20210528_001001564-jpg

Put in the new pads for the carbon brake track.

Official non-motorized motorcycle thread.-pxl_20210528_001917333-jpgOfficial non-motorized motorcycle thread.-pxl_20210529_225817739-jpg

Upgraded to an oversized derailleur pulley.

Official non-motorized motorcycle thread.-pxl_20210528_210718217-jpgOfficial non-motorized motorcycle thread.-pxl_20210529_221919559-jpgOfficial non-motorized motorcycle thread.-pxl_20210529_235525029-jpg

Have an Ultegra crank but it has 170mm arms and compact rings. Ordered the correct crank but it's going to take a week or so to come in. Also am shopping for bars...and have to figure out what I am going to do with the stem. Need a set of pedals as well and I think that should be it as far as buying parts goes.
    I would call the derailleur pulley a "jockey wheel", but maybe that's the Australian English/British English name? Either way.. what is the advantage of it being so large?

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    I would call the derailleur pulley a "jockey wheel", but maybe that's the Australian English/British English name? Either way.. what is the advantage of it being so large?
    I'll be the first to admit there isn't that much of an advantage. Maybe a watt. But the theory is the chain doesn't have to bend as sharply to go around the jockey wheel. This reduces the kinetic coefficient of friction.

What day you, gang? This came up for sale in what I think is my size, pretty much checks all the boxes for what I’m looking for in a squishy bike. I can get for $2,900.

http://www.victory-bikes.com/product...ox-02-X01-Bike

Sent a deposit to the owner, should be going to check it out on Wednesday. Light mods in tubeless, bars, and pedals. Looks pretty lightly used.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    What day you, gang? This came up for sale in what I think is my size, pretty much checks all the boxes for what I’m looking for in a squishy bike. I can get for $2,900.

http://www.victory-bikes.com/product...ox-02-X01-Bike

Sent a deposit to the owner, should be going to check it out on Wednesday. Light mods in tubeless, bars, and pedals. Looks pretty lightly used.
    Looks pretty sweet! Should be a fun and capable trail bike.

Seems a little pricey compared to MSRP for an 11 speed drivetrain...but such is the market!

I actually thought the price wasn't bad. Not a steal, but fair, it was $5k new. Still has the original tires on it so I'm guessing very little use.

Grip it and rip it.
    1.5 years ago I'd say pass. Not in this market.

Anyone know of anybody looking for a good hardtail? I have a medium surly karate monkey built up as a singlespeed and a velo orange piolet gorgeous steel geared hardtail, both built up super nice. Asking 1700ea or both for 3k. Or best offer...

Official non-motorized motorcycle thread.-8b7aaaac-c062-44c7-9a3d-6c016b8248e5

Time for some new pedaling shoes. Sick of laces. There has to be a better way.
    What do y’all look for in a shoe? Looking for a mild mountain style with some nubs in the sole that can also do road duty.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Official non-motorized motorcycle thread.-8b7aaaac-c062-44c7-9a3d-6c016b8248e5

Time for some new pedaling shoes. Sick of laces. There has to be a better way.
    What do y’all look for in a shoe? Looking for a mild mountain style with some nubs in the sole that can also do road duty.
    Boa laces. Haven't looked back since. I'd stay away from the Velcro only options as it's hard to dial in a tension. Boas are easy to tighten a click while pedaling as well.

I passed on the Trail Fox. I do this thing where I buy the thing to motivate me to do the thing, hasn’t always worked out super great. Decided on a different route this time. I got my BMC Roadmachine out and gave it a bath and tuned it up, been out for a couple of easier rides this week. If I continue to ride faithfully between now and the fall I’ll treat myself to a new trail bike then.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!