Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 159 of 159 FirstFirst ... 79119139149150151152153154155156157158159
Results 3,951 to 3,968 of 3968

Official non-motorized motorcycle thread.

Re: Official non-motorized motorcycle thread.

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Boa laces. Haven't looked back since. I'd stay away from the Velcro only options as it's hard to dial in a tension. Boas are easy to tighten a click while pedaling as well.
    This is the way

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

So we're starting our road trip back east tomorrow. Will have gravel and MTB with us. It isn't a slow trip but it also isn't fast - 9ish days, rarely staying in one place more than a day.

If all goes as planned:
    We'll hit up Tahoe trails Friday AM - no suggestions needed
    SLC Friday, but probably won't have time to do any riding
    Moab Saturday, planning to ride. Probably just slick rock...because...but open to other suggestions
    Boulder Sunday - no suggestions needed
    Kansas City Monday - maybe ride some gravel
    Nashville Tuesday - Probably won't ride, just eat/drink
    Ashville Wednesday & Thursday. This is the main ride stop. MTB. Any must do trails in Pisgah?
    Harrisonburg Friday - any suggestions?
    Boston/Home Saturday.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

You should ping Chip on IG, I don’t think he’ll see this. He just did a week or so riding Moab so I’m sure he’ll have some suggestions.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Heading to Maine, just BARELY fit the Thule 599 and the top case on the car. Barely. I have lung busting, leg crushing climbs in my near future.
    Official non-motorized motorcycle thread.-fb81f297-e156-493d-a3d0-faee86baee8c

Seeing you own a golf wagon with a roof box and bike rack brings a joyous tear to my eye.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Tough going here when you’re not in shape. 350 ft gravel climb over half a mile to get from the lake house back to the main road. Didn’t cover a lot of ground today but had some good gravel time and saw some cool sights.

Slickrock was cool. Don’t need to do it again.
    Also had time for pipe dream which is the locals after work ride. Meh. Don’t think Moab trails are my cup of tea, but can understand the draw.

I think it’s one of those places people rave about because they either a) haven’t ridden anything else, or b) aren’t experienced enough to appreciate good trails. Or maybe I just rode all the wrong shit.
    Views and scenery were phenomenal.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    Slickrock was cool. Don’t need to do it again.
    Also had time for pipe dream which is the locals after work ride. Meh. Don’t think Moab trails are my cup of tea, but can understand the draw.

I think it’s one of those places people rave about because they either a) haven’t ridden anything else, or b) aren’t experienced enough to appreciate good trails. Or maybe I just rode all the wrong shit.
    Views and scenery were phenomenal.
    Porcupine Rim/Whole Enchilada and mag7 were my favorites out that way, but if I'm being honest I thought Sedona was better. I'm still biased towards New England as I really like the variety we have here, but traveling to ride is fun.

I'll add that "good" trails are totally objective, and some of the trails a lot of people consider "good" bore the crap out of me.

Yeah, everyone said to do the whole enchilada, but didn't have the time for that and not super into shuttling.

People also said to do Captain Ahab. But after doing Pipe Dream, I wasn't too stoked on what is considered "flowy" out there.

Just got back from Maine, had an awesome bike week considering we’re also caring for a newborn. 3 rides in 5 days, about 50 miles and about 2,500 ft. Not a wild week for you northerners, but some solid fun for a flat lander like me. I was able to ride at about 12 mph in hill country vs around 15 at home. I have some 30 mm semi-slicks on the way and will be going tubeless this week. Currently on some 34c file tread tires and I’m finding I don’t really need the extra tread. Don’t spend a ton of time on gravel at home, just variable pavement.

Anyway, this was my last ride in Maine, hella fun. Ride With GPS is also a shit hot app, good rec Jay.
    Official non-motorized motorcycle thread.-6e009837-3341-4b35-9ea3-8fc295089c7f

Well I did an impulsive thing today. That’s right, new bike day!

Stopped in at my LBS for some rim tape and tubeless stems, left with a new Roadmachine FOUR. Carbon with aluminum wheels and bars, 105 2x11. I’ve been eyeing the next step up which is an Ultegra build, but it’s not in stock anywhere. Honestly I’m fine with the 105 stuff and now I’m on a platform I’ll be happy to upgrade down the road. They’re pulling it out of the box and building it now, hopefully will pick up later this afternoon. Pics to follow.

So there were a few things on my old bike which weren’t quite jiving, the biggest being fit. It’s a 56 and I should really be on a 58. There’s a nice bit of geometry overlap from Roadmachine 58 to the Roadmachine X 56. I’m going to the new bike my reach is just a few mil longer with a health increase in stack. The new bike also has a steeper seat tube angle, I’ve been feeling like my feet haven’t been under me enough so this should help. Other things…the RmX is a 1x gravel bike that doesn’t really have big tire clearance…oh and I’m not riding any gravel unless I travel. The correct bike for me currently is a 2x road bike with relaxed endurance geometry. I’ll be putting the RmX up for sale after I give it a bath from its Maine trip.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by loudbeard; 06-17-21 at 11:24 AM.

5 (or is it 6) years later and I still love my 2x11, 105 clad Felt. Annual tuneup has never been more than a chain cleaning. I've yet to put a wrench or screwdriver to it.
    Everyone told me 105 is more than good 'nuf for a recreational type and I think they were right.

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Well I did an impulsive thing today. That’s right, new bike day!

Stopped in at my LBS for some rim tape and tubeless stems, left with a new Roadmachine FOUR. Carbon with aluminum wheels and bars, 105 2x11. I’ve been eyeing the next step up which is an Ultegra build, but it’s not in stock anywhere. Honestly I’m fine with the 105 stuff and now I’m on a platform I’ll be happy to upgrade down the road. They’re pulling it out of the box and building it now, hopefully will pick up later this afternoon. Pics to follow.

So there were a few things on my old bike which weren’t quite jiving, the biggest being fit. It’s a 56 and I should really be on a 58. There’s a nice bit of geometry overlap from Roadmachine 58 to the Roadmachine X 56. I’m going to the new bike my reach is just a few mil longer with a health increase in stack. The new bike also has a steeper seat tube angle, I’ve been feeling like my feet haven’t been under me enough so this should help. Other things…the RmX is a 1x gravel bike that doesn’t really have big tire clearance…oh and I’m not riding any gravel unless I travel. The correct bike for me currently is a 2x road bike with relaxed endurance geometry. I’ll be putting the RmX up for sale after I give it a bath from its Maine trip.
    Congrats! The frame size sounds like a legit reason. I was reading this thinking...what reason could he have possibly have used to talk himself into a new bike...

105 is great! Really all you get with ultegra is weight savings and it a little more rigidity.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Congrats! The frame size sounds like a legit reason. I was reading this thinking...what reason could he have possibly have used to talk himself into a new bike...

105 is great! Really all you get with ultegra is weight savings and it a little more rigidity.
    Not disappointed in 105, it’s good stuff, just would have preferred to get my hands on an Ultegra bike. I say maybe I’ll upgrade it later but if I spend anymore more money on this bike it’ll be a nice set of wheels.

The geometry/size/style of this bike is the real meat and potatoes of this decision. I could arguably fit on other 56’s, but the geometry didn’t quite work on the RmX. The biggest issue I had was feeling like my feet were too far forward in relation to my ass. I kept sliding the seat forward because I’d find myself riding on the grundle basher part of the seat instead of the meat of it. That coupled with the smaller frame size had me feeling a bit cramped in the cockpit. Geo chart comparing the two in theory puts me in a more comfortable position. Lastly is of course going from a 1x11 to 2x11 grouppo and more road oriented chassis. As much as I want to ride gravel, I just don’t have any nearby. Horses for courses.

Also, I’m bored and sleep deprived on paternity leave so naturally I need to spend money.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by loudbeard; 06-17-21 at 07:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Not disappointed in 105, it’s good stuff, just would have preferred to get my hands on an Ultegra bike. I say maybe I’ll upgrade it later but if I spend anymore more money on this bike it’ll be a nice set of wheels.

The geometry/size/style of this bike is the real meat and potatoes of this decision. I could arguably fit on other 56’s, but the geometry didn’t quite work on the RmX. The biggest issue I had was feeling like my feet were too far forward in relation to my ass. I kept sliding the seat forward because I’d find myself riding on the grundle basher part of the seat instead of the meat of it. That coupled with the smaller frame size had me feeling a bit cramped in the cockpit. Geo chart comparing the two in theory puts me in a more comfortable position. Lastly is of course going from a 1x11 to 2x11 grouppo and more road oriented chassis. As much as I want to ride gravel, I just don’t have any nearby. Horses for courses.

Also, I’m bored and sleep deprived on paternity leave so naturally I need to spend money.
    It makes sense. You are a bit taller than me and I fit very well on a 56. Throw up some pics once you get it!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Anyone have any first or secondhand experience selling to The Pro’s Closet? I put my RmX on Marketplace for $1,600…keyed it into TPC and was offered $1,315 cash or $1,500 in store credit. I’d happily put that $1,500 towards a nice set of carbon hoops if they’re legit/easy to deal with. Particularly if it means I don’t have to deal with Marketplace tire kickers. Honestly the $1,315 cash offer is fine too, I’d accept that for private party.

Hey hey new bike day

Official non-motorized motorcycle thread.-0a22d5ce-0ae2-4982-b96b-895dc4ed7fde

I’ll start by saying I did NOT want to ride today. I was up til 4 AM with our newborn’s reflux issues, ate like shit all day, and didn’t drink any damn water. Not a happy beard today. Ok, so I did my small loop, 10.5 miles with about 350 ft I’ve been riding around 14.5 mph. Just did that same loop at 16 mph, cool. I expect it’ll be easy to find some more speed when I actually feel like riding.

I expect the difference is speed has a lot more to do with the 28c tires @ 80 psi rather than the 34c’s @ 60 psi. Also, I switched from MTB shoes on some 520 SPD’s to a set of road shoes and Ultegra road pedals. More faster is more funner though so cool.

Going to a size 58 was absolutely the right move. Reach was the same on the two bikes, but the new bike has a steeper STA and about 25 mm more Stack height. I haven’t even properly set the bike up other than rough seat height and I felt far more comfortable than before and the sensation of my feet being too far in front of me is gone. Also, this carbon frame is the balls. Even with significantly smaller tires the road vibes were dampened a lot. Needs carbon bars, stem, and wheels now I guess

Loved having the 2x11 drivetrain. I figured 1x11 was plenty and I never felt too taxed on it, but the 2x11 definitely helped me maintain my preferred cadence. Cool.

So, great. New bike is awesome, totally pumped about getting onto a proper fit.

Last edited by loudbeard; 06-18-21 at 06:10 PM.