Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

School me on hydration packs

School me on hydration packs

Never used one, while riding or doing other outdoorsy stuff.

If Iím out on the bike doing a longer ride, Iíll keep a bottle or two in the topcase and chug a bunch whenever I end up stopping. It never seems to be enough - my body is used to drinking well over a gallon a day.

Probably doing a longer multi-day trip next month. I think Iím going to get a bladder and put it in a tank bag so I can regularly sip water without having to stop. I will still be drinking from the water bottles whenever stopped (and topping up the bladder) so I donít need (or want) a wearable hydration pack.

Iím assuming the bladder needs to be cleaned periodically so it doesnít get funky? If using it on a weeklong trip, is a daily rinse enough? Store it at night full or empty/open? What else donít I know?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: School me on hydration packs

Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    Never used one, while riding or doing other outdoorsy stuff.

If I’m out on the bike doing a longer ride, I’ll keep a bottle or two in the topcase and chug a bunch whenever I end up stopping. It never seems to be enough - my body is used to drinking well over a gallon a day.

Probably doing a longer multi-day trip next month. I think I’m going to get a bladder and put it in a tank bag so I can regularly sip water without having to stop. I will still be drinking from the water bottles whenever stopped (and topping up the bladder) so I don’t need (or want) a wearable hydration pack.

I’m assuming the bladder needs to be cleaned periodically so it doesn’t get funky? If using it on a weeklong trip, is a daily rinse enough? Store it at night full or empty/open? What else don’t I know?
    I only ever put water in bladders, and I put them empty in the freezer when not using them. Maybe not between every use (I use my MTB one almost weekly) but at least every so often.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

I would specifically recommend the HydraPak brand. You can open up the top completely for a huge opening instead of the circular screw tops on most others, can turn them inside out, dishwashable, the hoses have quick connects, etc. There might be others that do all this, but I havent seen any, and these work really well.

hell yeah...every dirt day, long/hot street days

dirt: in a quality backpack (mine is a Kriega R15)

street: smallest/lightest camel bak brand (although the company is against ohv stuff), sip while riding

skip the cheap/generic bladders (had a coleman from target the spout broke off)

if you're 1+ gallon per day you may have to refill it

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2017 KTM 690 Enduro R**

I keep a camelbak bladder in my tank bag to drink while riding. It's so much better to stay hydrated. I empty after every ride and just hang dry. Make sure water drains out of line. I had some denture cleaner fizzy tabs I used to use, but kinda gave up that process.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Petorius View Post
    I would specifically recommend the HydraPak brand. You can open up the top completely for a huge opening instead of the circular screw tops on most others, can turn them inside out, dishwashable, the hoses have quick connects, etc. There might be others that do all this, but I havent seen any, and these work really well.
    Platypus has one similar, the Big Zip. You can remove the top like a ziplock bag, and although you can't turn it inside out (it has internal stiffeners), it does make for really easy cleaning with a bottle brush.

2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2017 Honda CRF250L Rally

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

I put a camelback bladder in the tank bag. I'll sling the tube over the bike controls so i can grab it, slip it under the helmet and draw some H2O when necessary w/out stopping. The tube was even long enough for Kate to use while 2up

Last edited by nt650hawk; 04-15-21 at 07:39 AM.
    Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

I have a Camelback as well. Actually, HAD. My daughter snagged it as I really don't need it any longer. When I DID have mine, I also only used it for water. I'd also put it in the freezer the night before but I'd fill it about 1/4 full before freezing it.

Now that for off-road, I just fart around on a 4x4 ATV there's really not much need there. I have a cooler for one of the Street Glide saddlebags, so no need there anymore either. But, see above...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

check out USWE, i use their off-road focused products but they have a range of flexible bladder options for tank bag, etc. there are some nice quick-disconnect hoses and other parts that might work for whatever system you build. i've been impressed with their stuff over the years.

side note: not for your immediate use case but the freezable, anti-bacterial, recyclable bladders are awesome for off-road use. super tough.

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    check out USWE, i use their off-road focused products but they have a range of flexible bladder options for tank bag, etc. there are some nice quick-disconnect hoses and other parts that might work for whatever system you build. i've been impressed with their stuff over the years.

side note: not for your immediate use case but the freezable, anti-bacterial, recyclable bladders are awesome for off-road use. super tough.
    I see Instagram ads for that brand all the time.. nice to know it's good

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

I've got a camelbak mule I use for mtb and dirt. On long street rides, I just carry a bottle because we're always stopping for gas and stuff periodically anyway. The bladder in the tank bag is a great idea for long distance though!

I use them too. I believe the bladder is Hydrapak brand mentioned here before.

Paul_E_D

I've had a cheap camel pak that ive had for years, id use it all the time over my leathers when ridding on the street and have usedit mtb and when i had the dual sport.

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    I see Instagram ads for that brand all the time.. nice to know it's good
    yup, been using the same pack for 7 years. finally had to sew a strap mount end of last season (tree branch) but still going strong ... i bought another one (late night buzzed buy now) but haven't used it yet, the old one will eventually become a hiking pack. durable products.

Beta 200RR

In college, my roomate filled his camelback with beer while skiing. Complete disaster. The shaking made the beer spout out the hose from the carbonation, the hose/mouth piece froze up, and worst of all, he could never get the taste out of it, not matter how much he washed it.

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    In college, my roomate filled his camelback with beer while skiing. Complete disaster. The shaking made the beer spout out the hose from the carbonation, the hose/mouth piece froze up, and worst of all, he could never get the taste out of it, not matter how much he washed it.
    not sure he visits here anymore but Biggles did the same thing with his USWE on a run

Beta 200RR

not sure he visits here anymore but Biggles did the same thing with his USWE on a run
    Same results minus the freezing part?

So you’re saying he should’ve filled it with hard liquor? What a noob.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    So you’re saying he should’ve filled it with hard liquor? What a noob.
    Precisely

probably straight vodka would be best. Wouldn't freeze and no flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    I use them too. I believe the bladder is Hydrapak brand mentioned here before.
    I have packs branded as Salomon, Osprey, and Geigerrig (now Aquamira), they are all made by HydraPak. They seem to have a huge private labeling business.

We had a cooler EXPLODE on us when we were on the wheelers. Packed it with beer & ice and took off for the day. We had the cooler strapped pretty damn good so the top would stay closed, etc. We had to stop after a couple hours because we noticed the cooler was foaming. Release the tie-downs, and POOF! Beer suds EVERYWHERE! Funny shit. We lost about half of what we put in there!

Precisely

probably straight vodka would be best. Wouldn't freeze and no flavor.
    If you're drinking vodka that has no taste, you're definitely doing it wrong!

That's why you pack your beers in a soft cooler. I have this cooler:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It get strapped down in the beaver tail on my soft luggage when I go on big rides on the KTM. Haven't had an explosion yet, despite it bouncing all over the place, and with some ice it keeps everything cool even towards the end of the day.

That's not to say the beer itself won't go all over the place when you open one up, of course.

2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2017 Honda CRF250L Rally

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    That's why you pack your beers in a soft cooler. I have this cooler:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It get strapped down in the beaver tail on my soft luggage when I go on big rides on the KTM. Haven't had an explosion yet, despite it bouncing all over the place, and with some ice it keeps everything cool even towards the end of the day.

That's not to say the beer itself won't go all over the place when you open one up, of course.
    Doesn't work for us. We've tried that too. The cooler doesn't pop like the hard side ones, but the foam comes right out of the zippers. We even tried those can holder things they say will prevent that. Nope, not for us it didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    We had a cooler EXPLODE on us when we were on the wheelers. Packed it with beer & ice and took off for the day. We had the cooler strapped pretty damn good so the top would stay closed, etc. We had to stop after a couple hours because we noticed the cooler was foaming. Release the tie-downs, and POOF! Beer suds EVERYWHERE! Funny shit. We lost about half of what we put in there!

If you're drinking vodka that has no taste, you're definitely doing it wrong!
    I like my vodka dark brown, and called whiskey.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I like my vodka dark brown, and called whiskey.

Excellent. I've never had vodka that was flavorless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast