Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Solar panels

Solar panels

Anyone got em??
    Got 2. Offers.. 1 was pay for them. The guy did the math dance and it's 65k== down to 43k after some tax credits along with srec credits.. but still need 13k up front..
    The other was a lease deal. Need to pay monthly at a lower rate and the difference from the grid..

Not sure the best way to go

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Re: Solar panels

that price seems high, but i dont know. my parents are looking into it as well as myself. we have a full southern exposure so im thinking about trying to capitalize on it and all but eliminate my electric bill (although id be replacing it with paying for the panels). word on the street is that most of these companies will work out the financing to mimic your electric bill and they take about 6-10 years to pay for themselves.
    probably gonna get a quote from someplace soon.

how big are you going and are you staying on grid or going off?

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

You have to stay on grid as I understand it because there is no battery backup. Any extra goes back to the grid and you get credits for that but they don't roll over each pay cycle.. scam. I got a pretty big system quoted.. can't remember the estimated output. 18kw I think?.. he is gonna send me the quote soon.. it was Boston solar and nrg

Lifer

18kw? That's mammoth. What's your average monthly utility bill? I was gonna say your quote seems high but for that big a system its not too bad. A typical 5kw system will run you about $10g for everything. Its gets lower by the day though. I think you can get one for about 8k now if you look hard enough and you just need a straight forward system.

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    that price seems high, but i dont know. my parents are looking into it as well as myself. we have a full southern exposure so im thinking about trying to capitalize on it and all but eliminate my electric bill (although id be replacing it with paying for the panels). word on the street is that most of these companies will work out the financing to mimic your electric bill and they take about 6-10 years to pay for themselves.
    probably gonna get a quote from someplace soon.

how big are you going and are you staying on grid or going off?
    I'm not a homeowner, but whenever I have thought about whether I would do solar panels, I keep thinking about the precipitous price drops that happen after the "early adopters" stage of a product - especially anything high-tech.

I don't have a dog in this fight, I just want to see what people have to say about this thought:
    With something that takes 10 years to pay off.....what if 7 years from now they have something at 1/10th the cost that has some cool added feature - maybe it looks just like normal shingles.....In that scenario in 10 years, when you break even, your neighbors who waited for the new stuff will have been in the black for 2 years.

"Where are we going?...and why am I in this handbasket?"
    LRRS 919
    '12 Ducati 1199 Panigale (track) '08 Honda CRF 250 (ice) '02 KTM 520 SX Supermoto (track)

Quote Originally Posted by Ductard View Post
    I don't have a dog in this fight, I just want to see what people have to say about this thought:
    With something that takes 10 years to pay off.....what if 7 years from now they have something at 1/10th the cost that has some cool added feature - maybe it looks just like normal shingles.....In that scenario in 10 years, when you break even, your neighbors who waited for the new stuff will have been in the black for 2 years.
    Always a newer, better product coming. How much does it cost to wait as well? Make a decision when it works for you at the time and move on.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Electric bill is higher than normal places cuz everything is electric.. then, we got rid of oil and put in 2 Bryant hybrid heat pump systems.. so when they aren't being a douche, the bill in the winter can get up around 500.

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Always a newer, better product coming. How much does it cost to wait as well? Make a decision when it works for you at the time and move on.
    I figured someone would use that logic....

Apparently, the electricity costs somewhere between 10-17% of the price of the solar panels...

...but the real "cost" is somewhere south of that, how much, I don't know - because I don't know what the service life of the panels are (if it's 12 years, and you wait a year, you still have 12 years of life left, where if you move now, you only have 11 years of life left a year from now) and the maintenance, or any of the "soft" costs - like what if you wind up having to move/sell 5 years from now and potential buyers don't want those on the ro

I work in corporate finance, and I will say that any investment with a 6=10 year payback is usually a fairly tough sell for those reasons, and others.

PS - this is coming from a guy who waited 2 years to get a mac mini, waiting for the next one to come out, which was always predicted to be right around the corner...then the new one came out and sucked, and I wound up buying the previous generation (which got more expensive AFTER the new one came out, because the new one sucked)...so I have been on the wrong side of "wait and see", but on average, I think you'll be better off waiting until something like this is going to pay back in more like 3-5 years.....

Last edited by Ductard; 10-08-15 at 09:16 PM.
    "Where are we going?...and why am I in this handbasket?"
    LRRS 919
    '12 Ducati 1199 Panigale (track) '08 Honda CRF 250 (ice) '02 KTM 520 SX Supermoto (track)

So .. dryer, oven, water heater and heatpumps.. the heatpumps are super efficient on paper.. when they malfunction, you don't find out until the bill comes in.

I work for Solar City... PM me and we'll chat.

Lifer

Panels are usually good for 20+ years. Even after that they still produce but at a lower rate. The price per watt has been steadily declining for years now but it is slowing. With nearly all production in China now the price have pretty much leveled out. Not much of a spread between the cheapest and most expensive ones.

Quote Originally Posted by caloots View Post
    You have to stay on grid as I understand it because there is no battery backup. Any extra goes back to the grid and you get credits for that but they don't roll over each pay cycle.. scam. I got a pretty big system quoted.. can't remember the estimated output. 18kw I think?.. he is gonna send me the quote soon.. it was Boston solar and nrg
    I'm not terribly familiar with boston Solar, but NRG, just spun off their solar business to someone else and went back to selling gas and oil.

Look up Sharp and I think the nice ones are USA manufacture

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

I spoke with a Solar City rep a couple days ago, was told that I don't qualify cause I have a General Service account & meter and not Residential. But I can switch back to Residential on my home if I like, so he started evaluating my site that in the end won't work for their program cause my trees to the southeast are too tall. Don't have that problem with the position of my barn, but I can't switch that account to Residential

the General Service/Residential thing sounded kinda hokey to me, does that mean that businesses can't do the solar thing with Solar City ?

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    Panels are usually good for 20+ years. Even after that they still produce but at a lower rate. The price per watt has been steadily declining for years now but it is slowing. With nearly all production in China now the price have pretty much leveled out. Not much of a spread between the cheapest and most expensive ones.
    the guy i got the estimate from with boston solar claims they have LG, hitachi (i think) and sunPower.. he claims sunpower is a US company.

Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    Look up Sharp and I think the nice ones are USA manufacture
    thats what the guy told me as well.. sunPower is USA manufactured.. and he claims they are the best

but that is the 65K system.. after rebates and shit like that, i need to come up with 13K up front

sunPower-327w.pdf

proposal for sunpower

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    I spoke with a Solar City rep a couple days ago, was told that I don't qualify cause I have a General Service account & meter and not Residential. But I can switch back to Residential on my home if I like, so he started evaluating my site that in the end won't work for their program cause my trees to the southeast are too tall. Don't have that problem with the position of my barn, but I can't switch that account to Residential

the General Service/Residential thing sounded kinda hokey to me, does that mean that businesses can't do the solar thing with Solar City ?
    No, it means it falls to the commercial department, which I don't believe is up and running in NH yet. It basically means that they residential rep you spoke to can't "sell" you a solar system because it isn't within his job scope.

Quote Originally Posted by GixerJockey View Post
    No, it means it falls to the commercial department, which I don't believe is up and running in NH yet. It basically means that they residential rep you spoke to can't "sell" you a solar system because it isn't within his job scope.
    like I said, hokey, because I chose to have a demand meter on my residence rather than a regular residential meter that any residence is allowed to use

anyone that uses more than 500kw/mo should consider to use because unless you have high demand appliances that would kick in the demand surcharge, rates are much better, I save on average $35/mo by paying General Service rates rather than Residential rates , I have saved approx $12k in electric costs since I switched nearly 30 years ago

RandyO
    IBA#9560

you can go off grid, but the price jumps exponentially since you have to install batteries etc.
    i know a new meter needs to go in to read how much the panels produce and to keep from backfeeding the system during an outage.
    basically you continue to use grid power and the power company deducts what you produced from what you used. if there is a surplus then you get credit towards teh next bill. i would think that if they arent going to roll over the credit like you say then your bill should be a check
    Quote Originally Posted by Ductard View Post
    I'm not a homeowner, but whenever I have thought about whether I would do solar panels, I keep thinking about the precipitous price drops that happen after the "early adopters" stage of a product - especially anything high-tech.

we just bought our house so we are probably gonna be here a while. also, we will be installing an electric mini split in the next few weeks as our main source of HVAC and using oil as little as possible so i expect my electric bill to climb. over the next few years new and more appliances will be added to the house that will also be electric.
    solar panels arent new so i think the early stage of high price is over. especially as i see more and more companies pop up and more and more homes with them.
    i, like you, have been on both sides of the wait and see. i paid 3x more for my plasma TV as a new LED that is 10" bigger costs now. but i dont pay $600 for a game console either. ill wait several years until i "have to" buy one.
    im hoping im on the downslope of pricing for the minisplit im getting installed

Quote Originally Posted by GixerJockey View Post
    I work for Solar City... PM me and we'll chat.
    i may do that.

TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

We have a minisplit in the basement.. make sure you get one that can handle 5 degrees or which means it should have electric offset....

This is a 1st for us with panels and the wife can't get over the sticker price.. all the number jazz is supposed to show that even though you're buying it, the system payment is still less than just the cost of electricity and they claim it's typically paid for in 10 years

We have a minisplit in the basement.. make sure you get one that can handle 5 degrees or which means it should have electric offset....
    not sure i understand this statement. the guy installing it says its good down to -13 degrees if thats what you mean.

Got a return call from my SunRun inquiry last night, they quickly told me that my roof is not in a position to make enuf electricity for their interest, at least they were honest about their program that it really has little to do with helping a home owner out and most about making a profit as an electrical supplier for the grid. The rep told me that my best bet would be to contact Granite State Solar

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    not sure i understand this statement. the guy installing it says its good down to -13 degrees if thats what you mean.
    Yup..
    We got screwed on one that was shit under 15 degrees at our old house..

sunPower-327w.pdf

proposal for sunpower
    What is your average regular electric bill? Not during the winter...

The ROI figures have always looked hinky to me.

Last edited by number9; 10-10-15 at 09:06 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast