Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Solar panels

Re: Solar panels

It's about 400 to 500.. but they include the winter for the overall average..

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by caloots View Post
    It's about 400 to 500.. but they include the winter for the overall average..
    How long are you planning to live there for?

You'd be spending $13,275 out of pocket to save $214/month. So you'd need about ~62 months just to get back what your downpayment, which of course is a hair over 5 years.

Have you looked into things like insulation, more efficient lighting, more efficient appliances etc.? You could lower your utility bills that way -- though by how much is unknown -- and not have to pay out so much up front, or be on the hook for any type of loan.

Me personally, I would never spend $63k to save $214/mo.

Last edited by number9; 10-10-15 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    How long are you planning to live there for?

You'd be spending $13,275 out of pocket to save $214/month. So you'd need about ~62 months just to get back what your downpayment, which of course is a hair over 5 years.

Have you looked into things like insulation, more efficient lighting, more efficient appliances etc.? You could lower your utility bills that way -- though by how much is unknown -- and not have to pay out so much up front, or be on the hook for any type of loan.

Me personally, I would never spend $63k to save $214/mo.
    Ya exactly.seems high. We have fairly new appliances except the water heater.. not really old but not new.. don't think it's the original ...
    We have done the energy audit as well

Ohh.. I'd say live here for a long time but you never know

I did the calculations once for solar hot / water booster

If you had electric hot water heater you could put this on your house for about 4500
    It would have a pay back about 5 years

NO ONE said they would do it

I went back to work some so on the table now, but if not I was going to put about 6KW of panels with mini-inverters

Realistically it would cost about $7000 parts and have about 7year payout
    Considering in Obameconomics I am getting 0.7% interest a 7 year payout is attractive

2 years ago I was quoted about 14000 for the same system

The only missing ingredient was my desire to use mini inverters and what disconnect was useable in CT

Last edited by Stromper; 10-11-15 at 05:58 AM.
    The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

looks like my parents are moving forward with this.
    guy came out to my house today to look things over and said that the house was perfect for solar.

heres my issue.
    the south side of the house (where the panels are going) is where the deck is, the "main" door to the house, and the dog kennel.
    my major concern is the snow coming off the panels in sheets. even if its only a couple inches the weight adds up quick across 2 or 3 panels.
    im afraid that the snow will come off and land on someone or one of my dogs. a more likely scenario is that the wet snow slides off the roof and lands in front of the door and then freezes and then i cant get into my house without a jackhammer.
    using the front door just isnt a viable option for winter use
    i talked with the solar guy about my concern and he agreed with me and simply said that there is no cure for this short of leaving panels out above the door(s), but mentions that it could lead to leaks in the roof because it essentially would cause an ice dam at the bottom of the above panel(s).

i dont understand how this issue hasnt been addressed by the solar companies. its a huge investment that comes with this serious safety risk. i dont need someone slamming the door and then have 400lbs+ of snow coming down on them from 30ft up.

EDIT: some internet searching has found me 2 companies. Alpine Snow Solutions that makes bolt on "ledges" for solar panels (made in VT), and Rocky Mountain Snow Guards, which is one of those "snow fences" that you see on the edge of metal roofs but you need a couple of feet at the end since they mount to the roof.
    i am going to forward the info to GSS and see what their thoughts are.

Last edited by SVRACER01; 11-24-15 at 12:50 PM.
    When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    Got a return call from my SunRun inquiry last night, they quickly told me that my roof is not in a position to make enuf electricity for their interest, at least they were honest about their program that it really has little to do with helping a home owner out and most about making a profit as an electrical supplier for the grid. The rep told me that my best bet would be to contact Granite State Solar
    Why do you say that like its a huge conspiracy? Of course they are in it to make a profit. News flash... That's how businesses operate. With the intention of making a profit. If the consumer also benefits, double win.

Re: snow coming off in huge piles... Speaking as a former builder/roofer, it is not a new issue with solar panels. Lots of steep slate or metal roofs have devices installed on the roof over entry or walkways for that purpose. Usually they look like some kind of medieval torture devices if anyone ever fell onto one (in other words, long spikes facing skyward to prevent huge sheets of ice or snow from sliding off at once). On older buildings they were often copper. If placed all over the roof, not just at the eave, they wont be as bad for promoting ice dams as just-eave ones.

Who are your parents going with??

Quote Originally Posted by GixerJockey View Post
    Why do you say that like its a huge conspiracy? Of course they are in it to make a profit. News flash... That's how businesses operate. With the intention of making a profit. If the consumer also benefits, double win.

nothing wrong with profit, however there is no lasting or great benefit for the home owner, the most they can hope for with the SunCity program is to reduce monthly electric bill even if they produce more than used. there will never be a check for the home owner from the power company

the SunCity program is a scam to use home owner property to collect the sun's energy and government subsidies while compensating the home owner at much less than market value

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    Re: snow coming off in huge piles... Speaking as a former builder/roofer, it is not a new issue with solar panels. Lots of steep slate or metal roofs have devices installed on the roof over entry or walkways for that purpose. Usually they look like some kind of medieval torture devices if anyone ever fell onto one (in other words, long spikes facing skyward to prevent huge sheets of ice or snow from sliding off at once). On older buildings they were often copper. If placed all over the roof, not just at the eave, they wont be as bad for promoting ice dams as just-eave ones.
    i know what youre talking about but you cant attach those to solar panels.

this is the "snow fence" i was referring to

and these are the other version that attach directly to the panels

TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

got my quote. less expensive than i had assumed. looks like $20k (before any rebates) for 18 panels making 4.86kW. this will cover approx 88% of our estimated usage. this of course is solely based off our last electric bill. we have since installed a mini split and a new washer and dryer will be arriving in Jan.
    they also gave me a quote for a 5.89kW system that (based off our current bill) will supply us with approx 106% of our estimated usage. the total only goes up another $5k and monthly payment only $25 so if we do it that may be the way to go.
    the difference in ROI is also only about 6 months (estimated 9.38 years for the big system)

we (and my parents) went through Granite State Solar (GSS). they basically do 2 loans. the first one is for 12-18 months same as cash and essentially its just for the rebate amount. when you get all your rebates from the state and fed then you give it all to them so really on the $25k loan we would only be financing $15k at the 3% they offer.
    my parents are getting theirs in march. wife and i are gonna have to do some serious thinking after the new year. i think its a good move but throwing more debt on our plate really isnt what i want to do right now especially with her starting a new job in Jan.
    *deep breaths*

all that confusing numbers shit is what we got from the 1st estimate but that was to buy panels.. is your the lease? all i know is everyone i talk to says..
    ohh they are great,, my electric bill is gone and or cut in half and it didnt cost me anything... WTF ??? i havent seen 1 estimate where it wasnt gonna cost anything.

Here in CT they put up the panels and YOU pay them the generation rate

You save the clp delivery fee , I think here in CT generation is 0.11 and delivery is $ .09 so you would save a little less than 1/2

HOWEVER

Generation rate may not be a fixed number over time. If many people do this I would be sure there would be a charge for being hooked to the grid.

Your quote is a rip off, just look at solar panel pricing with a mini inverters a 200 watt panel with mini inverter is less than 300 so 25 of them
    would be 7500 the rest of the stuff would get you to about 10.5 to 11.

Miini inverters shut off when there is no AC signal to Follow, but I am sure that would NOT be kosher with my electric company. Some sort
    of automatic disconnect plus manual disconnect.

The calculus of hate

all that confusing numbers shit is what we got from the 1st estimate but that was to buy panels.. is your the lease? all i know is everyone i talk to says..
    ohh they are great,, my electric bill is gone and or cut in half and it didnt cost me anything... WTF ??? i havent seen 1 estimate where it wasnt gonna cost anything.

PM me...

A guy I work with just got solar city to install panels on his roof and he didn't pay a dime, but he isn't buying or leasing them, technically they are leasing his roof and he is getting a deducted electric bill based off the amount of power generated. The way he explained it to me anyways. It actually sounds half way decent because you immediately see the benefits, you just don't get the tax breaks because you aren't buying or leasing the panels.

Quote Originally Posted by myzx6 View Post
    A guy I work with just got solar city to install panels on his roof and he didn't pay a dime, but he isn't buying or leasing them, technically they are leasing his roof and he is getting a deducted electric bill based off the amount of power generated. The way he explained it to me anyways. It actually sounds half way decent because you immediately see the benefits, you just don't get the tax breaks because you aren't buying or leasing the panels.
    nice..
    im actually in the process of doing that with SC as well.. i just had to have some shit fixed in my panel.. so now they need to see that it was fixed and then get me a quote.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GixerJockey View Post
    PM me...
    done

Quote Originally Posted by myzx6 View Post

Annnnnnd... OM me. Lol

Why not just explain it to everyone? Is it a secret?

-Clayton
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Why not just explain it to everyone? Is it a secret?
    maybe it is, maybe it isn't...PM me

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2017 KTM 690 Enduro R**

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    maybe it is, maybe it isn't...PM me
    Lol

Paul_E_D

Got to put them under the ether 1st

If you would have NO ability to do it yourself or fix it then the solar city is a reasonable deal if your roof is in a good location

The calculus of hate

Attachment 43380

proposal for sunpower
    those sunpower 327s are what they want to put on our house. *should* cover most if not all of our electric bill.
    they get excellent ratings

Who has a 428 dollar electric bill? Maybe a welding shop? lol

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Who has a 428 dollar electric bill? Maybe a welding shop? lol
    I do.. sometimes higher..
    Electric everything..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast