Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Solar panels

Re: Solar panels

Quote Originally Posted by caloots View Post
    I do.. sometimes higher..
    Electric everything..
    Holy crap! I'd have to add groceries in to hit that mark! lol.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Paul_E_D; 12-20-15 at 03:32 PM.
    Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Who has a 428 dollar electric bill? Maybe a welding shop? lol
    electric heat

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    electric heat
    at that price i would say that theres more to it than that. there has to be some serious inefficiencies would be my guess

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Holy crap! I'd have to add groceries in to hit that mark! lol.
    Me too...mine is normally $70-80/month.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Heat for a full time sauna maybe! Wow, that is just crazy. Must be a BIG house.

Paul_E_D

We got rid of oil.. so we have 2 Bryant heat pumps.. no oil bill. Electric water heater, electric oven and electric dryer.

Bet you wish you had oil now haha.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

The oil would cost more.. and the whole house was on one zone.. the heatpump systems are roughly a few hundred more than the electric bill was on oil. Hybrid heat pumps are very efficient

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Bear in mind there is some kind of difference between being under a 10kW system and being over. I highly recommend getting a quote from Sungevity, they were very low pressure and the cheapest option to buy that we could find. My cousin worked in the hardware side of Solar and indicated their panels and inverters were all top quality stuff.

CCS/LRRS #83

When it gets to zero the resistor heating will kick on and then watch the meter spin

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Yup. It has electric off set. It's supposed to be almost as efficient as geo thermal.. they claim

Necrothread revival, motorcycle related.

Stored four bikes and some OPE in a new shed without power and wanted to keep the batteries up. Deltran now makes a solar powered Battery Tender for 5-45W panels. Also had two AGM batteries we wanted to keep up.

Purchased an AllPowa 30W panel

Hooking up the AllPowa 30 W panel today. The Deltran Solar Charge Controller doesn’t have any kind of display, and I wanted to see what was going on. Purchased an inexpensive SCC with a display and settable float voltage. It comes set for 13.7 V, which should work with AGM batteries.

As far as online forum advice, solar forums make Chipper look positively agreeable. So far I’ve learned, 1. The setup I have will destroy the batteries in short order, accelerate global warming, burn down the shed and sterilize my kids; or 2. will work great.

Here is the panel. Fabricated supports from 1”x1” perforated galvanized angle. Made a 30-60-90 triangle for winter: if we need more output in summer we will put longer supports on to increase the angle.

Here is where the panel comes in to the controller. The output goes to the batteries. There is no “load” as yet. The box on the left is the Deltran charger, I’ll try that next week. Every damned time I work on solar stuff it gets cloudy and rains, but with the brief sun it showed charging.

And here are the two Optima Red Top AGM’s connected in parallel. Let the sit a month or so without charge and checked voltage. I’ll check them next week to see if they are charging effectively.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    “When it comes to the kitchen, I have a narrow band of competency.”
    Master Mechanic Roger Barr in “Chasing Classic Cars.”

Here’s our $30 phase I lighting install. Harbor Fright sells a 60 LED motion activated “Security Light.” There are similar appearing units from about $20-90. The HF model is actually decent quality: the shields are glass, not plastic. The plastic panels cloud up after a year or so in the sun.

Mounted the panel on the S facing side. It’s almost sunset.

And put the motion activated light on the inside. Now when I walk through the door in the dark, light comes on and it’s decently bright. It’s out of the way but I can reach up to turn it on manually. Took apart the unit: good News is battery pack is replaceable, bad news is there isn’t room for a bigger pack. But it works mint.

Great ideas gentlemen (the shed stuff). Thanks for sharing.
    Glad I never put solar in any of my properties. So far still sucks in my opinion unless you do the work yourself. If you pay a company I just don’t see it as cost effective. I also wouldn’t buy a house that has it.

But hey for those of us who have National grid for supplier who enjoys the way they are straight up facking us with their monopoly and insane rates?
    Seeing electric bill from 2013, insane how my usage has cut down 30-40% but my dollar amount has doubled.

Better watch when the excess electricity leaks out onto the floor

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Kind of got to the bottom of, “You’ll be fine” versus flaming death.

Especially in winter, most solar systems can’t fully recharge the batteries for periods of time. This leads to sulfonation and loss of battery capacity. An “Equalizing Charge” can reverse this degradation, but most solar systems don’t have the capacity to provide the required current for the required time.

In winter I set a reminder and recharge all the batteries on the first of the month. So now I’ll just bring the two AGM’s up to the garage and use a charger that will deliver an equalizing charge. That should keep them in good shape.

The only battery that’s a problem is the one in the R90/6. Has a huge battery that cannot be removed without partial disassembly of the bodywork.

Have a Clore Charge It! Charger and emailed them to learn that it does not have an equalize mode. Some of their other chargers do, but none have an LiFe mode. So buying another NOCO Genius, which will equalize.

If you have a NOCO, you have to hold the button down for three seconds to reach any “Advanced” modes FYI.

I've done more investigation, and decided to go with a local company, Bright Spot Solar, they sell tracking systems, waiting for an exact quote, but the prices thrown about at our meeting today, was $40-$45k, I would not buy it personally, I would have my business purchase the system, and it would be connected to my office, I would do away with my house service, and run my house as a sub-panel from my office, this alone will help my electric bill, getting deeper into the discounted rates

I would not have anything on my roof, just a tower, and a tracking 20'x24' panel, expected power output will be more than double my annual usage, saving $3k in electric bills, age getting paid $3k for excess electricity, after tax credits only 4-5 years to pay back https://www.brightspot.solar/

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

Everybody to the limit!

We paid 8200 before credits (I think after the credits it will end up around 1/2 that) for a 4kw system through Tesla (formerly SolarCity) that has been generating around 20kwh on a good day. It generated 560kwh in March which works out to around $120 in electricity bases on current MA rates. It only generated 160kwh in february though so it varies quite a bit depending on the amount of sun you get in a given month.

Last edited by Honclfibr; 04-22-21 at 05:08 PM.

The solar company, is owned by one of my neighbors who has been client of mine in the past, and probably in the future, he has his fingers in many pies. said then he is here doing construction, after work hours, I can use his Lull to prune some of my pines up high, years ago, when I was much younger, my plan was to get some climbing spurs, but I am waaaay too old and fat for that, now, I'd like to get as high as 80 feet into some of them to get all the dead branches, and 20-25% of the green limbs above that, let the pines put on some good clear lumber, and let more sun filter thru when it at lower winter angle

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Honclfibr View Post
    We paid 8200 before credits (I think after the credits it will end up around 1/2 that) for a 4kw system through Tesla (formerly SolarCity) that has been generating around 20kwh on a good day. It generated 560kwh in March which works out to around $120 in electricity bases on current MA rates. It only generated 160kwh in february though so it varies quite a bit depending on the amount of sun you get in a given month.
    With Teslas recent price increase that same system would be roughly $17k if you bought it today. Credits would bring it down to maybe $12k? Would you buy it again?

I think we maybe bought too much of an array (just under 10kW). Our net usage for March was negative. Expecting the same for April and it to get even worse as the sun gets higher in the sky until we install the window AC units.

Everybody to the limit!

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    With Teslas recent price increase that same system would be roughly $17k if you bought it today. Credits would bring it down to maybe $12k? Would you buy it again?
    Are you sure that's not for an 8kw system, or one with a powerwall? I don't think they could have doubled their prices, solar is basically a commodity at this point and while Tesla has been the cheapest they're certainly not half the price of anyone else. If so, that would certainly be harder to justify. Our system has only been active since January so it's hard to tell what the whole year will look like.

Last edited by Honclfibr; 04-23-21 at 07:47 AM.

Lifer

Are you grid tied or just using a battery bank?

between my 2 buildings, I use about 16,000kw/annually, and the tracker would expect to produce almost double that in my location

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Everybody to the limit!

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    Are you grid tied or just using a battery bank?
    We are grid tied, and I didn't purchase a power wall as it would have doubled the price of the system. We really don't lose power here at all, so it was hard to justify the cost of one living in a net metering state so we can sell any excess back to the power company.

Our initially recommended system was 8kW, but when we did the panel design it was going to be a challenge to fit all the panels on our roof in a way that it would be efficient. And the 8kw system is exactly double the cost of the 4kw system, so it didn't seem to make sense to pay twice as much for a system that wasn't going to be as efficient. It was easy enough to change at that point in the project though, I just emailed them and they did a new layout for a 4kw system.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast