Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 6263637383940414243444546
Results 1,126 to 1,148 of 1148

Sprinter build thread

Re: Sprinter build thread

i think PW did a great job with the layout and features of the Recon, it's def suited for x2 humans but the garage with fold downs seems much nicer than the Revel motorized drop down. even without flares, it seems super roomy back there and i love the anchor points and bed > workstation flow.

nhbubba, for a family journey van, we are absolutely loving the Tofino. thing is just too perfect for day trips + overnights. zero complaints so far, only mild modding to tailor storage and gear to our specific uses. the pop top f'in rules along with all the tech.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    I'm itching for a 4wd van now. Ugh. No real reason, other than on our last trip to Tahoe we really wanted to take the van, but there was a storm blowing in so we took the alltrack.
    I'm not familiar with Sprinters but I used to take my 2WD E250 to Tahoe all the time in college. I used to tell CHP it was 4x4 to avoid chain control and it worked 9/10 times. When I moved back home I put a snow plow on it and plowed my neighborhood. I miss that thing.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by OneCheekRider View Post
    I'm not familiar with Sprinters but I used to take my 2WD E250 to Tahoe all the time in college. I used to tell CHP it was 4x4 to avoid chain control and it worked 9/10 times. When I moved back home I put a snow plow on it and plowed my neighborhood. I miss that thing.
    I could probably get away lying and saying it is 4WD to avoid chain control, but I don't have snow tires either. The places we stay and the places we ski typically have steep entrances, so I wouldn't mind 4wd.
    Also...it would put my SO at ease. She is a pretty strict rule follower.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Finally doing the first significant mod to the layout of our Travato. In stock form it has a booth in front with a large table. It's great for dinner for 5, but we never do that. Instead we really missed the couch in my old sprinter that faced out the slider. Nothing better than napping with a view of the waves etc. So, we are rotating the bench seat 90 degrees, getting rid of the table, and adding a swingarm table to allow eating or working from all seating. The table top stows easily and the arm becomes the arm of the couch.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Re: Sprinter build thread-(Pictures are back!)

Original booth

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Paul_E_D

Re: Sprinter build thread-(Pictures are back!)

New couch mode

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Paul_E_D; 05-07-21 at 07:31 AM.
    Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Nothing better than napping with a view of the waves etc.
    this...nice...it's the little things

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2017 KTM 690 Enduro R**

Nothing better than napping with a view of the waves etc.
    amen, nice tweak ! makes way more sense ... another reason we were sold on the Tofino, sitting on the couch there are windows all around you, including front pop-up window. so rad. camped down in Pachaug few weeks ago, after fire burned out i just stood moon + star gazing out the front pop window with the fam snoring away

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

Easy to do the swap to a bench? Was it set up modular?

Edit: just looked closer at the last photo. Seems to be some customer work there, ha. The Lagun mount is so nice. I love mine. Have three base plates to move it around.

Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 05-07-21 at 10:58 AM.

We tested out the protoype this weekend. It's basically a free standing box that I put where the table used to be. The only flaw so far is that the weight of the table on the arm wants to tip the freestanding base. It's can't go far, but it's annoying. So, I will have to bolt it to the existing bench base. I was hoping to avoid that as I will have to penetrate the nice stock upholstery to do it. Oh well. I think it's worth it.

Adding a second baseplate is a good idea. I will explore that.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    Easy to do the swap to a bench? Was it set up modular?

Edit: just looked closer at the last photo. Seems to be some customer work there, ha. The Lagun mount is so nice. I love mine. Have three base plates to move it around.
    It is Modular, and easy to put back to stock. But it does involve removing the new base unit and replacing the table. Probably a 10 minute job. But not something we would do on the road. The new setup does allow us to set up a second bed in the front of the van just like the stock setup. It's actually really comfy and we use it for long haul driving. co pilot naps. Reason being the bed in the back is like a trampoline on a bumpy highway. Bed behind the driver's seat doesn't launch you.

Paul_E_D

We tested out the protoype this weekend. It's basically a free standing box that I put where the table used to be. The only flaw so far is that the weight of the table on the arm wants to tip the freestanding base. It's can't go far, but it's annoying. So, I will have to bolt it to the existing bench base. I was hoping to avoid that as I will have to penetrate the nice stock upholstery to do it. Oh well. I think it's worth it.

Adding a second baseplate is a good idea. I will explore that.
    I got mine for ~$50 from PantherRV. Ebay has 'em too. 3 base plates allows a lot of variation in my van: desk at the bench, desk using the slider door entrance as a seat (my fave), storage behind driver seat, extra counter space, table top between captains chains, or an outside table.

Few photos from a #newbikeday weekend.

Like jay I am also itching for a 4x4 van. I take my current van up essentially every forest road around and having 4x4 with front/rear locking differentials would be a game changer and peace of mind. There is a lot of loose scree on some steep inclines around here that if I don't carry momentum up could be troublesome. I also want a slightly larger vehicle to be able to better store gear as well as make long term travel less of a musical chairs daily routine. The problem is I am picky and don't want to spend the $$$ on a bland soul less sprintransitmaster. Needs to ideally be under 24-25 feet in length. I love the garage setup that jay has so being able to stick fly rods and waders, bikes, climbing gear and snowboards not in the living area would be great, especially since we usually do a most of those activities on the same trips. Also a cab through passage since it is a feature that I have come to love, I also dont want to have a cooking/living area outside since I camp year round in Montana and we have a fast growing grizzly bear population.

So 4x4 vehicle with the option for a cab through passage really limits my choices.... So far I've looked at a unimog and an older sportsmobile....

Putting some Cooper ATs on my Promaster chassis made a HUGE difference in where I will take it. It's no offroader, but now at least dirt roads, snow and a little mud aren't show stoppers. We are still completely sold on the layout of this thing though. Raising the bed a little higher would likely make it ideal. We have a big kitchen, roomy bathroom, comfy lounge for 2-3 people, spare bed, AND decent gear storage (though not bikes) in a van. Very little reconfiguring day/night. That is nearly impossible to beat IMO.

Paul_E_D

Paul, Jay or snwbrdr435 via-friends ... have you guys heard of or experienced the P0523/P0520 oil pressure sensor issues that the 3.6L V6 Pentastar has had over the years? i've been dealing with this since taking ownership of the van, mentioned in my initial report after driving home from TX. it isn't an actual oil pressure issue, which is great, but the sensor gets improper readings for some reason.

local dealer attempted to 'fix' but i really think they're only clearing codes. no detail on my work orders past two visits. now the van has been with them for 2 days, they're still stumped and i'm getting pissed. i'm going to request full details later today and take it home if it's not apart. i've been trolling the PM forums in the meantime.

van rules otherwise, man we love it. few phone pics from recent journeys (really need to acquire an actual camera again).. .

Beta 200RR

Gosh that's awesome..

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Gosh that's awesome..
    we've been having so much fun ... kids named it the 'Road Vulture' (RV), i need to create a logo

Beta 200RR

Blackstone griddle? I hear wonderful things..

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Blackstone griddle? I hear wonderful things..
    yup, had it for 3 years now, still love it. zips up nice for transport with cover and bag, top flips over ... converted it from 1lb LP bottle to direct, quick-connect to van LP ... brilliant

burritos in pic were black bean, peppers 'n onions. steak tacos are amazing at camp on that thing as well, not to mention bacon 'n eggs first thing w/coffee perc'in off rear plug. High Life

Beta 200RR

Asked on a FB group for a "Paint by the numbers" aux battery installation: just a simple setup that will go under the passenger seat.

This response was just what I was looking for: https://sprinter-source.com/forums/i...A0#post-109768

Parts:

Last edited by Garandman; Today at 05:43 PM.
    “When it comes to the kitchen, I have a narrow band of competency.”
    Master Mechanic Roger Barr in “Chasing Classic Cars.”

I think the promaster is probably perfect for you guys, but I would absolutely destroy one on all the roads around here. The front wheel drive would also suck royally on the steep scree fields.

As far as the oil pressure sensor issue I can;t really help but on my work suburban i was getting a similar code and it was due to a screen in the sensor clogging.

Quote Originally Posted by snwbrdr435 View Post
    Like jay I am also itching for a 4x4 van. I take my current van up essentially every forest road around and having 4x4 with front/rear locking differentials would be a game changer and peace of mind. There is a lot of loose scree on some steep inclines around here that if I don't carry momentum up could be troublesome. I also want a slightly larger vehicle to be able to better store gear as well as make long term travel less of a musical chairs daily routine. The problem is I am picky and don't want to spend the $$$ on a bland soul less sprintransitmaster. Needs to ideally be under 24-25 feet in length. I love the garage setup that jay has so being able to stick fly rods and waders, bikes, climbing gear and snowboards not in the living area would be great, especially since we usually do a most of those activities on the same trips. Also a cab through passage since it is a feature that I have come to love, I also dont want to have a cooking/living area outside since I camp year round in Montana and we have a fast growing grizzly bear population.

So 4x4 vehicle with the option for a cab through passage really limits my choices.... So far I've looked at a unimog and an older sportsmobile....
    Unimog. That would be so epic!!!

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by snwbrdr435 View Post
    I think the promaster is probably perfect for you guys, but I would absolutely destroy one on all the roads around here. The front wheel drive would also suck royally on the steep scree fields.

As far as the oil pressure sensor issue I can;t really help but on my work suburban i was getting a similar code and it was due to a screen in the sensor clogging.
    thanks, and i totally agree on destruction, we wouldn't have gone with this platform if we needed any more than a super way to car camp.

Paul made a joke about grass being a difficult obstacle but it came true for me last week not to mention, i was super, super sketched out up in VT a few weeks ago where the SP 1 lane road in / out was paved, but very cracked with a high center. thought for sure we were gonna drag axle.

appreciate the sensor input. i have the van back with no lights on, hitting the road Friday to camp down in CT. fingers x'd the lights stay off. still no detail from the dealer on what they did, won't be going back there.

Beta 200RR