Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 76 of 78 FirstFirst ... 365666676869707172737475767778 LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,900 of 1939

Let's talk trucks

Re: Let's talk trucks

Warming up to the idea of an electric truck. The new F150 impresses in all respects except range and charge rate. ~40 minutes to "quick" charge to another ~150 ish miles-likely less if towing-is kind of not great.

I hear Chevy is teasing an electric Silverado targeting ~400 miles of range.

The F150 9kw output capacity is super cool. Would be able to back-feed into the house and survive an outage. I hope this idea catches on across all the EV offers.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I know the market is crazy but I'm curious what you guys thing of my truck. I'm at borderline beater status on this thing. Looking for some input. It's a 2003 silverado extended cab with a 6' bed.

Good things: 85k miles, remote start, leveling kit, bilstein shocks, timbren ses bunpstops for the rear, 9 pole trailer wiring, class IV hitch, bed is in good shape. Cab corners, rockers and the entire painted body are solid. Not nice looking, but solid. New fuel lines, new vacuum lines and evap/emissions control stuff, new brake lines, new front and rear brakes and ebrake. Auto dimming rear view mirror, low voltage protection, rear under seat storage, new serp belt and ac belt. Tires are about 60% 1.5" leveling kit on the front.

Bad stuff: pretty sizeable rear main seal leak. Was never a priority because I used my commuter car for work or took the bike. $1k to fix it. Lots of random dash and interior lights burned out. Power mirrors don't work, typical Chevy early 00s interior where everything squeaks and rattles. Exterior paint is pretty beat. Bed sides have scratches, hood is best up pretty good, clear coat has crows feet (checkering) where it's gonna eventually pop. Needs headlights, needs ds mirror glass. Ac doesnt work.

All that broken stuff I've just lived with. Hot- drive other car, scratches, don't care about, interior lights, don't care about. Power mirrors, rarely need to adjust them. The large scratches I filled with touch up paint but did a pretty bad job. Just wanted to prevent rust not get it perfect.

Overall it's very reliable. I use it to do around town errands, home depot, trailering etc. A friend of a friend from work came and looked at it, and I had said I was thinking of selling it for 4000$. Is that too low? I know it's got some issues but it's not a rusted out piece of shit like most trucks this age are.

Other thought was keep it and put a light to medium duty plow on it, then lease a new tacoma.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's talk trucks-img_0981_20210721_155850-jpg  

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by 01xj; 07-21-21 at 03:16 PM.

I'd buy it from you for $4k, I'm looking for a 2nd beater, my 02 Silverado is looking at down time, but I'd rather have a single cab 8'bed

I think cause of the low mileage, you can get $6k-$7.5k imho

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    I'd buy it from you for $4k, I'm looking for a 2nd beater, my 02 Silverado is looking at down time, but I'd rather have a single cab 8'bed

I think cause of the low mileage, you can get $6k-$7.5k imho
    I agree with Randy here. Used car prices are insane right now. I was offered just a few thousand less than I paid for my ‘18 Silverado 1500 with 52,000 miles when I traded it in for a 2500 HD truck. Nice time to upgrade if you’d an find a non-shitty dealer or something not marked up an insane amount.

(4) Try not to be a dick. PurplePackage's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    I know the market is crazy but I'm curious what you guys thing of my truck. I'm at borderline beater status on this thing. Looking for some input. It's a 2003 silverado extended cab with a 6' bed..
    At 4k its what I call "but its not a POS to me" or "good price for you, not for me"
    Borked AC and leaking rear main seal are red flags for any buyer.
    You have a very reliable beater. Don't try and sell it as anything else or you will waste your time.
    Drop the price to 3k or fix the big problems and keep it.

http://www.dashboard-light.com/vehic...Silverado.html

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePackage View Post
    At 4k its what I call "but its not a POS to me" or "good price for you, not for me"
    Borked AC and leaking rear main seal are red flags for any buyer.
    You have a very reliable beater. Don't try and sell it as anything else or you will waste your time.
    Drop the price to 3k or fix the big problems and keep it.

http://www.dashboard-light.com/vehic...Silverado.html
    At 85k that's one hell of a super clean "beater". No one is expecting an 03 truck to be pristine. $4k is a steal for a truck that's not a rot box and beat to shit. I'd price it more like Randy and then "negotiate" down a little or keep the thing . No reason to firesale it.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

If you have a commuter car as well, why not just start fixing the truck one issue at a time? Think about the depreciation rate you're paying for in a lease or even when you buy a new vehicle. Taxes and insurance too. If this isn't a vehicle you use everyday but still find value in it, I'm willing to bet you can fix all the issues for WAY less than new. And if you're using it for truck-stuff, you won't care when you add some more scratches. My $.02

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    $4k is a steal for a truck that's not a rot box and beat to shit.

you gotta shop around, here are 4 other silverados under 4k with little to no major problems:

Yeah I'm not 100% sure what I'm gonna do. We drove past the Toyota dealership today and I didn't pull in. Gonna go price out some replacement parts at the pick n pull. Mirror glass, power mirror switch etc. The rear main seal I have planned on getting fixed. Just need to get my foot in the door at the new job as I'm already going a month with no paycheck and some travel in between. 1k to fix the rear main.

My Mazda I think I'm gonna just sell to carmax or vroom and get rid of.

pay to fix the rear main and see if you can find the leak on the AC with a UV kit. If you get lucky with that you will probably want to keep it

Lifer

All of those have more than 150k miles.

Quote Originally Posted by sveesix View Post
    And I'm sure they're all disclosing every issue as well

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

160, 190, 210, 255k. What's more then double the mileage mean anyway. Like a rock!

2012 Tiger 800 XC

160, 190, 210, 255k. What's more then double the mileage mean anyway. Like a rock!
    thats more what I would expect for a 4k Silverado, My 02 had 195k when I bought it for 4k, 4 years ago

Bad stuff: pretty sizeable rear main seal leak. Was never a priority because I used my commuter car for work or took the bike. $1k to fix it. .

You can add a lot of oil for the cost of replacing the rear main seal, define "sizable leak" a quart in a thousand miles..... 500....100.....25 ?

RandyO
    IBA#9560

As the spend more money on something new asshole, i mean yes you can fix those issues, there is also other stuff that is going to break and need fixing. I know you are way handier than me adam so i think these are things your capable of fixing, but at the expense of your free time. Or just say fuck it and do the bare min and drive it till it pops.

Since we have data, we can answer this question.
    Double miles puts you in the same vehicle reliability as 85k miles, but lifetime is obviously declining:

Let's talk trucks-image_2021-07-22_162608-png

255k is too high, it will have a short life.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    thats more what I would expect for a 4k Silverado, My 02 had 195k when I bought it for 4k, 4 years ago

You can add a lot of oil for the cost of replacing the rear main seal, define "sizable leak" a quart in a thousand miles..... 500....100.....25 ?
    This would be fine if I parked on the street or something but with a young kid I don't really want oil leaks all over the driveway. She's into chalk and hopscotch and all that small kid stuff.

This would be fine if I parked on the street or something but with a young kid I don't really want oil leaks all over the driveway. She's into chalk and hopscotch and all that small kid stuff.
    ah, paved drive, I don't mind oil leaks, it binds the sand & gravel

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Nice time to upgrade if you’d an find a non-shitty dealer or something not marked up an insane amount.
    sweet ride, congrats ! i bought my Canyon from Banks, they were great to work with.

Beta 200RR

Oddly, both my '20 Tacoma and my 18 STi are worth more than I paid for them right now...

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Oddly, both my '20 Tacoma and my 18 STi are worth more than I paid for them right now...
    i'm eventually going to need a 4-dr pickup with the dudes riding, my tiny trailer sucks, sooooo tempted to get trade in numbers for the Heep up in NH. Banks went ga-gah over the 2-dr Rubicon i traded in for that Canyon. that truck almost felt free after the deal was done.

Beta 200RR

Since you mention this, I've seen so many people trading vehicles with the "it's worth more now" mentality and then getting a higher trim level or something more expensive. And most of these folks already owe money on them. It's great if the plan was to ditch the vehicle anyway due to life/preference changes, but I feel like most are spending waaay more money in these swaps unnecessarily and perpetuating this crazy market. I considered doing the same, but I just can't make the numbers work. Makes me wonder what the effect will be in the future once this market settles down.

I recall a '76 Chevy LUV I had, and was totaled, shortly after a duty was imposed on foreign trucks, my Insurance CO gave me nearly double what I paid 2 years earlier

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Quote Originally Posted by OneCheekRider View Post
    Since you mention this, I've seen so many people trading vehicles with the "it's worth more now" mentality and then getting a higher trim level or something more expensive. And most of these folks already owe money on them. It's great if the plan was to ditch the vehicle anyway due to life/preference changes, but I feel like most are spending waaay more money in these swaps unnecessarily and perpetuating this crazy market. I considered doing the same, but I just can't make the numbers work. Makes me wonder what the effect will be in the future once this market settles down.
    Yeah, I'm definitely staying put. Besides, I really think I have our fleet dialed in nicely for our uses.

Paul_E_D

With the 2021 Raptor being basically vaporware, the internet tells me I could just about sell my 17 for what I paid for it....

Balls deep in mods though