Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Truck thoughts and private party sale

New Truck thoughts and private party sale

Since we never stay on topic, I’ll put 2 questions in 1 thread.

1. Thoughts, recommendations for a full size truck if my goals are dead nuts reliability and electronics simplicity. I’m not looking for a $60,000 luxury truck, more of a long term, reliable truck. Open to 150/1500 and 250/2500 classes.

2. Thoughts on selling a 2020 Subaru privately. The motivation to sell privately is that it has an extended warranty which is only transferable through private sale. The used market is hot, and if it weren’t for the extended warranty, I’d probably be happy selling it to a dealer for a little more than the kbb cash offer price. Trying to avoid “asshole hassle” of private sale, though.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: New Truck thoughts and private party sale

are you looking for a truck, (single cab 8' bed) or a car with a shortbed ?

single cab/ 8ft bed are actually reasonably priced, but they tend not to make em unless you find a way to get hooked up on a fleet sale

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

1. Huge range between 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton trucks, so kinda depends on usage. The only thing I would consider dead nuts reliable is the Tundra. If I were to personally buy a new truck tomorrow I would lean heavily towards GM.

2. Can you cancel the extended service contract? I'd also check what Carvana will offer you for the car. They've been paying crazy numbers and it might be better then the sales tax credit on trade or the extra selling private party. You can get a quote from them online.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    are you looking for a truck, (single cab 8' bed) or a car with a shortbed ?

single cab/ 8ft bed are actually reasonably priced, but they tend not to make em unless you find a way to get hooked up on a fleet sale
    Crew cab is a necessity

I recently traded a ‘17 gmc 2500 for a new Ford 250. Couldn’t be happier with the truck, the price on the other hand was horrible. I highly suggest anyone looking at 1500’s consider the 2500 as well, they are comparably priced, the cabs are all the same, and they are so much more capable if you do decide to tow or load them. Out of the big three dodge has the nicest interiors but I hate the motors and transmissions. GMC let me down two trucks in a row. Ford are the most expensive, but it seems worth it for a solid truck. Avoid the Deisel on any of them unless you MUST have it.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Lifer

Sell that subaru asap. With the plant shutdown and built up demand prices are nuts. Im trying to buy a new crosstrek and within the last week every dealer has raised prices, a few are now at thousands over msrp. Its crazy. I should have bought one a few weeks ago but i had trouble finding one equiped how i wanted and now i know why. Used ones are now going up in price too so work the deal now if you can. I bet you can get very close to what you paid for it.

Selling an Outback privately is pretty easy: it’s a family car.

FaceBook Marketplace has the benefit of being able to see some details of the prospective purchaser, and it’s free. But Craigslist still works. You pay for cars.com but that’s where most newer cars are listed, and private sale prices look terrific compared to dealers.

We establish ground rules up front:
    - If ad is visible, it’s still for sale, so “still available” messages ignored.
    - Offers ignored until you come to see the car in person.
    - Include your location (city and state) and cell # or message ignored.

Last car we purchased (2013 Prius V) was from a schoolteacher in Maine via FaceBook. He was buying a new Camry hybrid and was [ridiculously] lowballed on the dealer trade-in. One knowledgeable owner, had all service records, couldn’t have been easier.

Is a Ridgeline a pickup?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    “When it comes to the kitchen, I have a narrow band of competency.”
    Master Mechanic Roger Barr in “Chasing Classic Cars.”

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

My neighbor has the SILVERADO HD ALASKAN EDITION . it has a stick connected to the transmission to actually put it into 4X4 what will they think of next. I want those old days back. no electronic gremlins to go wrong there!

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Happy with my tundra. When I bought it in September 2020, it was the same or less than low mileage used, for new. $43K for limited double cab (not massive crewmax), 6.5' bed, leather, LED headlights and fogs. The chip shortage is a big deal. buy soon.

Ford Motor Co. posted a surprising $3.26 billion first-quarter net profit on Wednesday, but the company said a worsening global computer chip shortage could cut its production in half during the current quarter.

Chief Financial Officer John Lawler said the second quarter should be the low point for the chip shortage, but it probably will last into next year. The situation will improve in the second half, but Ford still will see production fall 10% over original plans, he said. That means Ford won't be able to make up for any lost production this year. But CEO Jim Farley said Ford will work to limit the 10% cut.

The company expects to lose factory output of 1.1 million vehicles for the year, up from an earlier estimate of 200,000 to 400,000. That will mean fewer vehicles to sell, but thus far it's brought higher prices because demand is strong.

https://www.inddist.com/home/news/21...-production-50

Is the Subaru paid off? If not, and the bank is holding the title, that may scare off potential private buyers.

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

From what I have seen it will be a challenge to find a quad-cab truck that isn't optioned out. Maybe it is different in the 250/2500/ 3/4 ton class, but the half-tons I've seen are all optioned to the moon in that config.
    I kind of get it. There is a considerable price premium going from standard => extended and then => quad cab. Once you pay that premium you might as well get the gadgets and luxury bits.

I had a 2015 Silverado 1500 LT Z71 with a couple option "packages" added. I loved it. I thought the 5.7L V8 was a peach and found the truck to be very capable. I admit I never tried to tow or haul near its max capacity though. We sold it because it was too big for my wife to comfortably daily drive and we needed something with more room for the kiddos. I took her small car as a commuter and we swapped the pickup for a minivan for her to daily with the kids. \

It was the right move, but now my commute has been eliminated and I miss having a pickup on hand. Wife has made noises about wanting a camper and so I've taken comments from JC and others and am thinking we may "need" a 3/4 ton quad-cab to haul a camper and family of 5. I remember a friend trading a well optioned LTZ 1500 quad-cab short-box for a less well optioned LT 2500 quad-cab "regular" box. At that time you couldn't get anything but the short bed with a quad-cab in the 1500. Now you can. But he needed a larger bed and the quad-cab. The extra 3/4 ton capacity did not hurt. He commented that it was much nicer towing his camper and such. I think it may be possible to get lesser trim, less well optioned 2500 quad-cabs than 1500 quad-cabs. At that point it seems you get the extra capacity in exchange for fewer options. Seems ideal.

Honestly all I want is 4WD, AC, cruise, power windows and a blueteeth stereo.

Oh, and I'd insist on an auto-locking or limited slip differential too. Often standard with towing or "off-road" packages. In the case of the 1500 when I was shopping in 2015 the Z71 always came with their auto-locking differential. There was other ways to get it as well, but the Z71 decal was an easy way to be sure. IMO the differential is a huge help in snow and ice.

At the time I also tested the Ram 1500. It was by far the nicest riding. (5-link rear suspension.) Someone turned me off to the Ram V8, not really a reliable source but the well was somewhat poisoned and the GM 1500 was an awful nice ride too. I liked the GM interior better. Good luck. Interested to see what you land on.

If you are considering a camper I'd highly recommend the 3/4 ton.
    I mean, if you do a seasonal thing, where you leave it year round, it doesn't really matter, but if you are going to be moving for weekend trips, the extra towing capacity is more than worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I had a 2015 Silverado 1500 LT Z71 with a couple option "packages" added. I loved it. I thought the 5.7L V8 was a peach and found the truck to be very capable. I admit I never tried to tow or haul near its max capacity though.
    I have a much older, '02, with a 5.3. I've hauled my son's boat, a little over 7500 lbs, on hilly narrow roads, and lately, I've been loading er up with firewood, 3000 lb± loads, and other than riding better, I really don't notice any difference, but I'm not one for jack-rabbit starts or stops, also lumber on my racks, on windy days. Loaded, my mileage suffers a bit, only 16-17, not the 19-21 I get otherwise, truck has 240k on it

the dealers that cater to fleet sales to business are more likely to have a minimum option truck, look a dealer that has a big lot, of white trucks, if you want it another color, paint it.

RandyO
    IBA#9560

I'm not getting too involved in this other to say that I regularly tow & haul with my 1500 Chebby Silverado w/ the 5.3. 18' bow rider boat, three ATV's at a time, 28' camper (overall length) and more firewood than I can guess. My Z71 LTZ has the tow package (12,500 I believe). I'll focus on the camper here as that seems to be the direction this is going.

Towing the camper fully packed with 4 occupants and a dog in the truck, my mileage drops to about 15-16 MPG, but you'd hardly know you're pulling it. Our camper is an "ultra light" and weights under 6000lbs empty and acceleration is barely affected (I don't give a flying fuck if I used the wrong word!). When the tanks are full, the mileage doesn't really change, but you can feel a bit of a difference taking off & stopping. But it's certainly not earth shattering.

For the first time in my life I bought basically the same vehicles back-to-back. My 2009 Silverado took me to almost 200K before I traded it in for my 2016 and nothing was needed other than basic maintenance items. My current 2016 is just about at 100K and same thing. Just did my first set of rotors and wheel bearings. As I said, I've never stuck with one brand or model back-to-back. But considering the reliability of the 2009, sticking with the Silverado was a no brainer for me. We bought the camper just before I got the new truck, so I've been lugging that around since the truck was new.

Just wanted to toss that out there...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

I guess I lied. A few times I brought home 1-ton pallets of wood bricks in the bed of my half ton Silverado. It was local roads and slow-ish speeds. I wouldn't haul that much on a regular basis. I think the payload rating was about 1600-1700 lbs in the config I had.
    I think you are insane and asking for trouble if you drop 3k lbs into a 1/2 ton.

Mine also had towing options, including the integrated brake controller on the dash (nice!). I think it was rated to about 9k lbs in my config. There were seemingly infinite choices in gearing, so look out! I think the door sticker is king here.

Another sweet thing about 3/4 and full-ton trucks is they are exempt from the emissions tests. (Annual here in NH.)

2014 saw a fairly major redesign with GM half-tons. Drivetrains and interiors got a very nice refresh. I personally wouldn't consider older than that.

My dad went from a '99 diesel 2500 Suburban to a '14 Silverado 1500 5.3. He said he would rather have the Suburban back while towing our 26' travel trailer.

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

I think you are insane and asking for trouble if you drop 3k lbs into a 1/2 ton.

100% this. I've been doing deliveries with my truck and some of the pallets are 2500 lbs. I'm seeing some guys load F150s with the same and it's very enlightening watching those trucks move all round on back roads

Not that I never "may" have overloaded my truck before, but doing so often is clearly going to catch up at one point.

I'm sure Randy will say it's fine, he's been doing it for decades and avoids urban areas.....

New Truck thoughts and private party sale-20210322_113757-jpg

2012 Tiger 800 XC

standard 6½' bed holds 78 cu ft filled level with the sides ± =.6 cord x5000lb/cord = 3000lbs

I didn't think I was loading that heavy either, till I ran the numbers, an estimate of my loads, I fill a little higher right behind the cab, and not all the way up at the tailgate.

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post

I'm sure Randy will say it's fine, he's been doing it for decades and avoids urban areas.....

New Truck thoughts and private party sale-20210322_113757-jpg
    no, my Silverado is the first full size truck I have ever owned, I've always had vans previously, except a couple cherokees, as work vehicles, I've owned mini-trucks in the past, but that was decades ago, a Chevy LUV, Nissan King Cab, and a couple Dodge Ram 50s

I will drive 200 miles out of my way to avoid an urban area

RandyO
    IBA#9560

I will drive 200 miles out of my way to avoid an urban area
    So would Ted Kaczynski

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    So would Ted Kaczynski
    ?? who ta fuck is he, somebody I should know ?

RandyO
    IBA#9560

?? who ta fuck is he, somebody I should know ?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Kaczynski

you can do a crew cab silverado with the 6.2 in the custom trail boss trim. (its bare bones and has all stuff one needs) and non of the extra bs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkWXnZQUCoI

that would be my vote for a "regular truck" that is extremely capable

Last edited by jhawley; 05-01-21 at 08:56 AM.

Damn. 11k less and it has the 6.2. Only thing I would want is heated leather.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast