Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Vinyl fencing (install)

Vinyl fencing (install)

Putting up a 6ft privacy fence, Home Depot vinyl five posts with a 8ft gate.
    Questions:
    1) Rent a single person auger ? Whos used one? or find help and rent a dual one? or shuck it up and just start digging?
    2) Cement vs expanding foam to set them?
    I need to set theses posts 3ft deep plus put some cement (1ft. or so above ground level ) or foam inside the posts for stability and strength. I have steel inserts for the gate posts.. Directions' say I can put cement inside the posts but nothing I have found about foam? Will the foam deform the posts or take the path of least resistance and just go up the tube?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by MUZ720; 04-25-21 at 05:48 AM.

Re: Vinyl fencing (install)

I can tell you for sure you don't want to hand dig 5 holes at 3' deep each.

Augers are nice when compared to a shovel but they will still require a lot of attention for when you likely hit a rock.

Never heard of foam being used in this type of application.

Disagree on hand digging. Post hole digger + San Angelo bar, it isn’t that bad. Use the bar to loosen the soil and loosen any rocks which might be in the way. Result will be a MUCH tighter hole (heh) than you’ll end get with an auger. Also, you won’t wreck you back when the auger jams. I did 60’ of fence 2 summers ago, got my time down to about 20 min/hole.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Pardon my phrasing....by "rock" I meant "boulder".

It's the impacted boulders I regularly encounter that yields my opinion. There's no telling what lies below

Going 3' down, I'm not hand digging. Powered auger at a minimum.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

backhoe, listen to bergs about boulders

power augers are not any easier than hand digging when you hit a boulder

I dig 3ft holes all the time (40" to be exact) with a sharpshooter tile spade, but I can move over when I hit a rock, precise placement is not important for soil evaluation, a fence post has to go at the end of the rail, not a foot away

Vinyl fencing (install)-1605_77621_p1-jpg

Last edited by RandyO; 04-25-21 at 08:28 AM.
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

The guy who installed 600 feet of split rail on my property dug all but 1 by hand, he does it for a living. The 1 was a boulder, I used the backhoe for that. Not sure how a powered auger would have helped in that case. He’s only doing 5 holes, I’d have them dug by hand in less time that going to rent an auger.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

my mind is blank, I have forgotten the thousands of granite & concrete property corners I have set, 48" long sticking up 6" = 42" hole, nearly all with a sharpshooter & crowbar

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

I'm not suggesting a powered auger is better for boulders.

What I'm saying is, a powered auger is what I consider to be the absolute minimum for multiple holes that require specific placement at 3' deep and I personally would never hand dig 3' down on anything. Run the auger, find which holes are an issue for depth and go from there.

Of the general types of land I have worked with, the hassle of hand digging is not worth the effort, IMO.

Vinyl fencing (install)

As was said augers are nice to skip the digging...they won’t help with large rocks...I have very bony soil here...I had an installer install my backyard fence cause I knew how it would go and it was a lot of fence...they did it all by hand with post hole diggers...they racked the fencing cause my yard is sloped but they installed the gates level...I installed my driveway gate and small fence alongside myself...I did this by hand (6 posts)...I also put in 15 sonotubes for my shed and I used an auger...I used a 2 person Home Depot rental auger and it was well worth it...used concrete on the posts I set

Personally for 5 posts at 36” deep I would just do it by hand...but this really all depends on your level of fitness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk JJ

Last edited by Point37; 04-25-21 at 10:49 AM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

We hand dig holes for utility poles all the time. I probably wouldn't rent an auger for that job. We also set them with foam sometimes. It doesn't expand in a way that would crush or deform anything, and it's strong as fuck. It's also pretty expensive, I think the kit for a 7' hole I usually use is about $150. If you had everything prepped, that kit would probably do the 5 holes for the posts.

Looking into using this product for the posts. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Sika-Polyur...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
    I am not totally out of shape yet! So i will see how easy the digging is before i start blasting!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    As was said augers are nice to skip the digging...they won’t help with large rocks...I have very bony soil here...I had an installer install my backyard fence cause I knew how it would go and it was a lot of fence...they did it all by hand with post hole diggers...they racked the fencing cause my yard is sloped but they installed the gates level...I installed my driveway gate and small fence alongside myself...I did this by hand (6 posts)...I also put in 15 sonotubes for my shed and I used an auger...I used a 2 person Home Depot rental auger and it was well worth it...used concrete on the posts I set

Personally for 5 posts at 36” deep I would just do it by hand...but this really all depends on your level of fitness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk JJ
    That's quite a project... would be farming that one out!

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    Post hole digger + San Angelo bar, it isn’t that bad. Use the bar to loosen the soil and loosen any rocks which might be in the way.
    My dad and I re-set my mailbox post a couple years ago. Post hole digger and the bar to shape the hole and loosen the soil, then a shop vac (with filter out) to suck out the dirt and small rocks. Made pretty quick work of it. Hose out the shop vac when done.

We rented a 2-man augur to dig footings for my deck a while back. I remember that being a big pain in the ass. You’ll need to find a decently strong helper to use those. Definitely seems like overkill for this use.

Just plant some rose bushes. Thorny. Easy way out. Natural. Make wine with the roses.

RIDING THE RAILS

I’m all for a mechanical advantage, sometimes you can’t replace a strong back and a weak mind.

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    I’m all for a mechanical advantage, sometimes you can’t replace a strong back and a weak mind.
    As the son of a Portuguese immigrant, I appreciate the all back no brains method.

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

In good soil, it takes about 10 minutes to hand dig a 3’ hole with a post hole digger. For a fence, I’m not sure why one would go to any effort removing a large rock or boulders, make the hole wider, cut the pole and cement it in

Yamaha

A Big Powerful Sportbike

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    In good soil, it takes about 10 minutes to hand dig a 3’ hole with a post hole digger. For a fence, I’m not sure why one would go to any effort removing a large rock or boulders, make the hole wider, cut the pole and cement it in
    I am digging it!

In the picture below you'll see a boulder that I ran into on today's job. The rough dimensions of the boulder are 3'x2'x1'. (LWH)

A fence post needs to be in this location.

The spec for the hole is 3' deep.

What is the next step? Cut the post at 9 inches and pour a large swath of concrete?

Vinyl fencing (install)-img_20210426_103238233-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    In the picture below you'll see a boulder that I ran into on today's job. The rough dimensions of the boulder are 3'x2'x1'. (LWH)

A fence post needs to be in this location.

The spec for the hole is 3' deep.

What is the next step? Cut the post at 9 inches and pour a large swath of concrete?

Vinyl fencing (install)-img_20210426_103238233-jpg
    C4! All kidding aside I would say that boulder has to come out. Was thinking if I hit something that big at 2'-2' and1/2 I would stop and cut the post!

If the backhoe is on site, I would dig a deeper hole next to the boulder and roll it in. Line post or corner?

Sorry, the luxury of excavation is not available on this job site.

The available tools are the ones mentioned in this thread...a San Angelo bar, a post hole digger and a spade as well as cutting the post down and pouring a wider area of concrete.

One last suggestion in this thread is to make another hole and dump that boulder into it but again, we're doing all this by hand so how does the plan get executed?

I thought it was clear, but maybe I need to reiterate;

When choosing to dig a post hole BY POWER AUGER....or.....BY HAND then I recommend digging by hand. Most people, including professionals, agree with that. Introducing boulders is a different problem, but you already knew that. Not sure why you felt the need to be difficult because I disagreed with using a power auger.

On a similar topic, does anyone has a hookup to fence installer in the Framingham area?

I couldn't care less that you disagreed, Duncan. Based on the advice given here, everyone wants to hand dig and can get the holes done in 10 to 20 minutes. LOL....fine. I respectfully disagree.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast