Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking to "rent" a bike for friend to learn on...

Looking to "rent" a bike for friend to learn on...

So my roommate wants to start learning how to ride a bike, but before he takes the MSF course he wants to see if he is going to catch on quick and like it or its too much for him to handle at this point. Does anyone have a bike lying around that they would be willing to lend out from time to time for my roommate to learn on? Something like an old Kawi 250cc or something to that extent. He would be willing to spend around $100-$200 for him to take it out from time to time. Maybe weekends or if you really have no need for it at this time, week days and stuff. I think he would need it for a month or something. Let me know if you would be interested in helping out my friend. Thanks guys!

WIL

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

North Reading (also known as the North Pole)

Re: Looking to "rent" a bike for friend to learn on...

You could find a beater 125 honda for less than a grand. Not many people are going to lend out a bike that may be worth a couple thousand only to be paid a couple hundred bucks. The risk is not worth what your buddy could pay.

2006 Ducati Monster S2R800

IMHO, he would know within an afternoon in a parking lot whether he's going to catch on or not. I'm happy to lend someone my 250 for a day or two. I mean, you either like it or you don't.

Original

Well, since this thread is all about "great ideas" I guess I could loan him my Ducati 1098, as long as he promises not to crash it..

CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 KTM 560 SMR - 2006 Yamaha R6
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2002-2006

Quote Originally Posted by naked-daytrader View Post
    Well, since this thread is all about "great ideas" I guess I could loan him my Ducati 1098, as long as he promises not to crash it..
    I've seen a bunch of videos where that works out really well

Original

Quote Originally Posted by jnm988 View Post
    I've seen a bunch of videos where that works out really well
    hahha, hence the joke. No one in their right mind would lend a bike to a newbie...

CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 KTM 560 SMR - 2006 Yamaha R6
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2002-2006

cause this place is full of people in their right mind

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

Just Registered Crash Dummy Denno's Avatar

hahha, hence the joke. No one in their right mind would lend a bike to a newbie...
    she was making a joke Captain Serious

Denno - CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 Yamaha R6
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2008

Quote Originally Posted by jnm988
    IMHO, he would know within an afternoon in a parking lot whether he's going to catch on or not. I'm happy to lend someone my 250 for a day or two. I mean, you either like it or you don't.
    That's true. If I just walked him thru one afternoon, I think he will know if he will catch on or not. I might take you up on your offer. Thanks man!
    Where do you live anyways? We could probably just take it somewhere local to you for an afternoon.

Exactly why I asked to see if anyone had a beater bike out there that they don't really care about.

Quote Originally Posted by virtualbong View Post
    That's true. If I just walked him thru one afternoon, I think he will know if he will catch on or not. I might take you up on your offer. Thanks man!
    Where do you live anyways? We could probably just take it somewhere local to you for an afternoon.
    I'm in Manchester.

My 250's been dropped more times than I can count. How much damage can he possibly do? I've used it to teach 4 people and none of them actually dropped it. I think the issue is when people try to teach someone by saying "All you have to do is...."

Original

Just so you know, the MSF course actually recommends for someone to NOT try riding on their own. Much easier to learn right the first time than develop bad habits and then have to change them.

Besides, couple hundred to rent a bike to find out he's not cut out for it is nearly the same price as taking the actual course. He'll find out if he likes it during the course, that's for sure.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

North Reading (also known as the North Pole)

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Just so you know, the MSF course actually recommends for someone to NOT try riding on their own. Much easier to learn right the first time than develop bad habits and then have to change them.

Besides, couple hundred to rent a bike to find out he's not cut out for it is nearly the same price as taking the actual course. He'll find out if he likes it during the course, that's for sure.

and he is not responsible to fix the bike if he F's it up!!

2006 Ducati Monster S2R800

Change of plans. We are going to take jnm988's suggestion and go out one afternoon to see if he catches on or not. He knows he will like it, but for some reason he doubts he would catch up. Big difference. I guess he is not confident that he would understand the concept that well with shifting, braking, etc... I can understand his hesitation to pay $275...fail the course because he just couldn't get a grasp on it. And telling someone to "man up" won't make him feel any easier about learning.

Quote Originally Posted by l3uddha View Post
    I see it this way:

he could take the MSF and take the right steps forward.

or he could have jnm give him tips on riding and move backwards from the start.

he belongs in the MSF from day 1. Fail or not it's the best $275 he'll spend. I doubt he'll fail if he goes willing to listen.
    +1

and i am laughing my ass off right now!

and not the good kinda belly laugh, but the holy shit did i just read this thread correctly kinda laugh!

you know the one i am talking about,

the laughing at retards (mentally challenged) type laugh!

you shouldnt do it in public.

not PC!!!!!!

MSF!!!!!!

its not a waste of money if you walk away with knowledge!

What to put here?

It's pretty hard to fail the course.... I just finished mine about 4 weeks ago, and had absolutely noo experince riding motorcycles before hand. I dumped the bike the first excercise... within something like 10 minutes!! Broke the gear shifter lever kinda embarrasing, but the instructor just told me that it wasn't a big deal, and got me another bike to continue the excercises.

At any rate, my point is that by the end of the second day (did a two day weekend course) I was fine. I passed, have my license, and i now have my bike.

Each excercise they do with you is to basically prep you for the test, quite frankly I'm glad I didn't try and ride before the class. Went in fresh , and didn't have to break some of the bad habbits that other people had to.

So if your friend is willing to rent a bike for a 100 or 200 $, why not take the course for basicaly 79$ more(then the 200)?

good first post!

uh, sure they would. not a 1098. not a gixxer 1k....how about a dirtbike?

I agree with the others, MSF course from day 1. I also think dirtbikes are great ways to learn a lot as well...granted dirt and street are 2 different animals but the crap you learn riding dirt....well let's just say knowing how to ride the hell out of a dirtbike has saved my ass a few times on the street. When ever I get asked about learning to ride, I tell people take the MSF course and or buy a dirtbike and have at it.

Convince him to take the MSF class...he'll be buying his own bike in no time

jpman is on the ball... good first post indeed

Hungry like a wolf... MissTwisties's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by l3uddha View Post
    I see it this way:

he could take the MSF and take the right steps forward.

or he could have jnm give him tips on riding and move backwards from the start.

he belongs in the MSF from day 1. Fail or not it's the best $275 he'll spend. I doubt he'll fail if he goes willing to listen.
    Couldn't have said it better...and I'm confused but you said he was willing to pay a few HUNDREDS to borrow a bike from someone...so I don't get it...why not spend that $275 on a real class, with EXPERIENCED and knowledgable people to teach him properly, safely the RIGHT way to learn riding? When I took the class, I didn't know shit on how to ride, shift and all that stuff. I learned with the MSF instructors with baby steps...and I'm glad I learned from them and not someone else.

www.elementsofbalancemt.com
    www.facebook.com/misstwisties

"If you don't stand for something you fall for everything."
    "Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."

I didn't mean to say I taught anyone the ins and outs of riding, everyone that's ever been on it has taken the class afterwards. I did have one person get on, spend about half an hour doing circles in a parking lot and decide that they hated it. It happens. Some people are just meant to be passengers.

Original

Does this go for people who have no knowledge of manuals? This guy has only driven automatics and I feel like it really helps to learn the BASICS of the motorcycle first. I believe it would NOT be a step backwards by learning the basics before taking the MSF course.

Guys, we are talking a couple hours of just working with the clutch and getting the bike going. We're not talking about full out, knee sliding lessons. If the whole money aspect is taken out, do you guys still think it is bad to get on a bike and learn the basics before the MSF course? I refuse to believe that you guys would think that.

And if I see any more negative comments about learning the basics before the MSF course...I am taking my gif out of my signature...I'm not joking around.

Hungry like a wolf... MissTwisties's Avatar

You don't sound like someone who has taken the MSF class yourself when you speak like that. Sure, if Jackie is willing to let him borrow her bike for FREE, then there is nothing to loose for him to learn a few basics. But if he has to pay, as mentioned in your first post that he would, then sure go ahead, have him pay a bunch of extra money to learn on someone's bike what he will learn *anyway* in the MSF class. And I don't see why people associate driving shift with a car, with learning to ride a bike... It's not even the same thing.

www.elementsofbalancemt.com
    www.facebook.com/misstwisties

"If you don't stand for something you fall for everything."
    "Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."

I can only tell you my personal experience. I rode for almost an entire season (May - September) before taking the MSF. I certainly wish I'd done it as soon as I started riding. The one and only time I've ever really laid a bike down could have easily been avoided with some basic knowlege that the course would have provided.

That said, I don't know that I'd have been comfortable if I'd NEVER been on a bike before the class. I think the stress of learning how to ride in front of a bunch of other people would have been too much for me. If I had it to do over, I'd have taken the class after my first weekend in the parking lot.

And V.... the whole gas/clutch combo is much easier to understand if you're used to driving a standard. Then you don't have to go through 15 mins of explaining a 'friction zone'

Original

Quote Originally Posted by virtualbong View Post
    Guys, we are talking a couple hours of just working with the clutch and getting the bike going. We're not talking about full out, knee sliding lessons. If the whole money aspect is taken out, do you guys still think it is bad to get on a bike and learn the basics before the MSF course?
    I believe all of that could and should be done on a dirtbike. People that have no clutch experience can really turn a little parking lot training session into a smashed bike, ego, and/or body. Although I did try to to teach a few young ladies how to work the clutch on the Furball, which had a crash cage on it. But I was still a little nervous that they would tip it over and become injured and then be soured away from motorcycles (and me).

Also, it is people like you that have caused me to take action and turn off the signatures of NESR so I would be happy if your signature was removed.

Support the Troops! (Except for Mondo, that guy's a dick)
    -----------------------------------------------------

MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF
    MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF

The MSF course IS Designed for absolute beginners. Let him learn on a training bike that won't cost you money to fix if something breaks and let the trained instructors teach your friend how to ride. This includes all aspects of riding, including clutch/shifting.

1. MSF course
    2. parking lot practice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast