Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Nervous yet? covid-19

Re: Nervous yet? covid-19

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-politics.html

LOL. "it's not Republicans it's the blacks!"

Literally a quote from my dad but, funny to see similar sentiment here.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by capitalcrew View Post
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-politics.html

LOL. "it's not Republicans it's the blacks!"

Literally a quote from my dad but, funny to see similar sentiment here.
    Could be both. If you recall there was a landslide movement of new Republican black voters during #walkaway. They couldn't let Jim Crow Biden win

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

From may

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/...covid-19-shots

Nervous yet? covid-19-vaccine-dvr-1024x768-jpg

July

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...ne-skepticism/

A new Washington Post-ABC News poll this weekend showed 93 percent of Democrats say they’ve either received a vaccine or plan to, while just 49 percent of Republicans say the same.

Also interesting

36 percent of people who say they won’t get vaccinated believe Trump has been vaccinated

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    ///I know this thread is really an extension of the Trump thread sometimes but reality seems to be Covid isn't as politically polarized at this point as some would like to make it out to be.

If things went along party lines I would think we would see much higher numbers across the board for everyone, especially in the blue states. 50-60% vaccinated in them with more vaccines available then people willing to take them at this point seem to indicate otherwise....///
    Partisans gonna partisan. Every single one of my former Army officer friends has been vaccinated, and their political beliefs range from very far Right to far Left.

Saw a friend of mine yesterday who is a neurosurgeon in Delaware. Her thoughts are unsurprising:
    • Unvaccinated people are a pool of hosts for the Delta variant and other mutations.
    • We’ll get a surge in the fall and after the holidays.
    • We will probably need boosters in future as new variants spread.

But, fingers crossed, we do seem out of the woods in terms of hospital bed availability.

Boston Public Health Commission has data on race: but they don’t include race and age groups.

https://www.bphc.org/Pages/default.aspx

In the last week there are only 49 new cases out of 9,832 tested.

Last edited by Garandman; 07-14-21 at 06:53 AM.
    “When it comes to the kitchen, I have a narrow band of competency.”
    Master Mechanic Roger Barr in “Chasing Classic Cars.”

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Every single one of my former Army officer friends has been vaccinated, and their political beliefs range from very far Right to far Left.
    Consider the group though. That's a group of people who largely know where the line is on greater good/individual freedom. A far cry from Trumpian "conservatives" who are a bunch of petulant children wrapping their selfishness in the flag and calling it freedom.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Hypertarded

Nervous yet? covid-19-mbmc1-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Vovchandr View Post
    You know there are very rural conservative areas in "blue states" as well? NY Would be a Republican strong hold if not for the cities.
    Yes. Similar could be said that Baltimore dictates MD, Chicago for IL and Boston for MA. I don't have NY data by county but the MA county data doesn't scream partisan by any stretch. https://www.mass.gov/doc/weekly-covi...-2021/download

Covid is not the political football it was for the election and more people are making the vaccination choice outside party lines.

As Gman said, partisans gonna partisan and make everything about politics, but reality seems to show Covid isn't as partisan as it was last year.

Of course you're gonna find sources out there that "poll" otherwise. The U.S. in general is still divided and partisan and plenty have an agenda.

What I find interesting is the wording from one of your links...."Republicans were less likely to say they’ve already been vaccinated, at 45 percent, and more likely to say they do not plan to get vaccinated, at 41 percent."

Saying and doing are two different things. Republicans are more likely to be openly homophobic and say homosexuality is a sin then Democrats are, yet some of those same Republicans still end up with men in restrooms. Democrats claim to be a tolerant bunch, but plenty are only tolerant of those who agree with them and fuck everyone else's viewpoint.

Vaccination is no different in my mind. At least in MA, raw data says some on both sides are lying, despite what the spin may be. Not every Democrat is getting vaccinated in MA and more then half of the Republicans here are.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Not every Democrat is getting vaccinated in MA and more then half of the Republicans here are.
    You don't like my "polling" yet you have no problem throwing generalities with no numbers from the sample size of 1 from you to over rule actual collected data.

What do you think those percentages are?

55% to 95%?

75% to 75%?

Silent Republicans are 90% and lying democrats are 60%?

You never guessed what political party would a member of Congress belonged to who compared wearing mask mandates to Holocaust.

You don't like my "polling" yet you have no problem throwing generalities with no numbers from the sample size of 1 from you to over rule actual collected data.

What do you think those percentages are?

55% to 95%?

75% to 75%?

Silent Republicans are 90% and lying democrats are 60%?

You never guessed what political party would a member of Congress belonged to who compared wearing mask mandates to Holocaust.
    All polls can be flawed and misleading to the point they'll show what people want them too. I pointed out an example as to why the one you linked has lots of wiggle room and can't be taken at face value.

I also posted the link to the most current MA data that indicates otherwise......

I haven't done the math compared to the voting registrations but an eyeball shows it should be more then 50% of Republicans and less then 90% Democrats....

Given the thread direction I'm sure it was a GOP member who compared masks to the Holocaust. That said, the Democrats have also compared Trump to Hitler so WW2 Germany references aren't limited to any one party by any stretch.

The vaccination rate in France is lagging the U.S. and the people are protesting the vaccine passport. Is that a conservative or liberal thing there? https://www.reuters.com/world/europe...es-2021-07-14/

More locally, the Canadian vaccination rate lags the U.S. as well. Politics at fault there as well??

Last edited by e30addict; 07-14-21 at 01:42 PM.
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

Vaccination is no different in my mind. At least in MA, raw data says some on both sides are lying, despite what the spin may be. Not every Democrat is getting vaccinated in MA and more then half of the Republicans here are.
    I think this might be a situation in which the loud voices are drowning out the majority. Not every Republican is a Marjorie Taylor Greene, but if you spend time on Twitter you might reasonably think that.

This is why I think the GOP is in trouble. Letting a crazy minority speak for everyone is the best way to split parties.

The flip side is true as well. It used to be that the vaccine-o-phobes were all radical Democrats in California, to the point where they started having measles outbreaks at Disneyland. I'm sure there are still some extreme Democrats that aren't getting this vaccine no matter what.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Joe
    04 Thruxton (Street)
    01 SV650 (Track)
    75 CB400F (Future Vintage Racer)
    68 BSA Royal Star (Garage Floor Lubricator)

antibodies > vaccine ...no point in getting vaccinated now...where does that number factor into the stats

bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

All polls can be flawed and misleading to the point they'll show what people want them too. I pointed out an example as to why the one you linked has lots of wiggle room and can't be taken at face value.

I also posted the link to the most current MA data that indicates otherwise......

I haven't done the math compared to the voting registrations but an eyeball shows it should be more then 50% of Republicans and less then 90% Democrats....

That is still quite a large delta if the difference wasn't political

Given the thread direction I'm sure it was a GOP member who compared masks to the Holocaust. That said, the Democrats have also compared Trump to Hitler so WW2 Germany references aren't limited to any one party by any stretch.

We aren't talking about politicians slinging shit at each other. We are talking about politicians seeding doubts into the national plan of recovery for a pandemic health issue. This isn't the same. If you find Democrats talking shit about masks, distance and vaccines, you'd have a point of both parties doing same shit. I'll wait

The vaccination rate in France is lagging the U.S. and the people are protesting the vaccine passport. Is that a conservative or liberal thing there? https://www.reuters.com/world/europe...es-2021-07-14/

Here is the French situation
    https://www.euronews.com/2021/01/18/...vid-19-vaccine
    'Underlying distrust' of authorities
    Multiple health scandals contributed to vaccine hesitancy in France
    etc

More locally, the Canadian vaccination rate lags the U.S. as well. Politics at fault there as well??

For Canadians it seems that the uneducated population of 25% is fear mongered and believes into conspiracy theories as well as distrust of government.
    There is typically a correlation between level of education and what party you align with. The more you get indoctrinated by the liberal colleges the more liberal you are or something like that.
    https://nationalpost.com/news/a-quar...he-experts-why
    See bold

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    antibodies > vaccine ...no point in getting vaccinated now...where does that number factor into the stats
    Source to where this is medically established to make these claims?

Source to where this is medically established to make these claims?
    You’re not likely to find conclusive evidence either way yet. However a recent study by the Cleveland Clinic indicates those who had covid may not benefit from the vaccine. Too early to make broad, absolute statements.

If you have the antibodies, then it won't hurt to get the vaccine.

Then, either way, you are ahead.

-Clayton
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    If you have the antibodies, then it won't hurt to get the vaccine.

Then, either way, you are ahead.
    That’s ok...I’ll be in the control group

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those numbers are actually incredibly low considering that we're all interacting without masks now. I wonder how those breakthrough cases (and especially deaths) correlate with age and other preexisting conditions. Is this correlation different from unvaccinated people? I'd also be curious as to how long after the shots these folks were infected.

I've read that if you're taking certain cancer drugs that vaccines don't do anything and you're effectively still unvaccinated. I imagine there must be other factors that affect how well the vaccine works. Like maybe if you're really old you should still be wearing masks in public indoor spaces.

Joe
    04 Thruxton (Street)
    01 SV650 (Track)

Great questions. It seems like the articles around this are very vague and with no detail.
    Media barely cares any more. Clear Covid fear doesn’t sell as much lately

Quote Originally Posted by joeswamp View Post

I've read that if you're taking certain cancer drugs that vaccines don't do anything and you're effectively still unvaccinated.
    like what grapefruit does to a lot of drugs

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

(4) Try not to be a dick. PurplePackage's Avatar

oy, thats like saying skull > helmet...I already hit my head, no point in getting a helmet now...

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePackage View Post
    oy, thats like saying skull > helmet...I already hit my head, no point in getting a helmet now...
    to each their own...my body my choice amiright?...having already had it and basically just having some free vacation time to relax at home while getting over some flu symptoms i'm not too worried...the rest of my close family is vaccinated other than my daughter and me...plus according to that article the vaccine isn't helping against super duper ultra delta flavor too well anyway

From CNN:

The US right now: 26,448 cases/day
    5 days ago: 19,103 cases/day
    10 days ago: 13,387 cases/day
    15 days ago: 12,474 cases/day
    20 days ago: 10,525 cases/day

Cases are rising in every state. New England is doing much better than most but cases are still going up.

Arkansas is pretty bad, cases are doubling every ten days and hospitals are full. Arkansas is 35% vaccinated.

Los Angeles County is reinstating their indoor mask mandate on Saturday. I suspect we'll be wearing masks again before long.

Joe
    04 Thruxton (Street)
    01 SV650 (Track)

to each their own...my body my choice amiright?...having already had it and basically just having some free vacation time to relax at home while getting over some flu symptoms i'm not too worried...the rest of my close family is vaccinated other than my daughter and me...plus according to that article the vaccine isn't helping against super duper ultra delta flavor too well anyway

Which article? The one that features this quote:

“All available data continue to support that all 3 vaccines used in the US are highly protective against severe disease and death from all known variants of COVID-19. The best way to protect yourself and your loved ones is to get vaccinated,” the DPH said in a statement to the Globe, while adding that "we expect to have some vaccine breakthrough cases.”
    Also, let's go ahead and math.

..those numbers had risen to 4,450 confirmed breakthrough cases, 79 deaths and 303 hospitalizations.
    Massachusetts health officials on Tuesday reported that a total of 4,278,111 Bay State residents have been fully vaccinated.
    4450 "break-through" cases / 4278111 vaccinated => 0.1% "break-through" rate
    303 hospitalized / 4278111 vaccinated => 0.007% hospitalization rate ... a 1 in 14,119 chance of being hospitalized from covid after getting the vaccine!

Those kind of figures are stunning evidence that the vaccine is incredibly effective. I see now why the rest of your close family got vaccinated.

It was a nice little break for a couple months I guess. Unfortunate.