Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

ATVs now legal on some roads in Colebrook

ATVs now legal on some roads in Colebrook

http://www.wmur.com/news/sports/esca...n/-/index.html

COLEBROOK, N.H. —Colebrook selectmen have approved a request to open portions of roads on the eastern part of the town and into the town center for all-terrain vehicle use with automobiles beginning this spring.

VOTE TO DETERMINE WHETHER ATVS CAN SHARE ROADS WITH CARS IN...

As part of a larger effort to make the Great North Woods a national destination for All Terrain Vehicles, selectman here will vote Jan. 9 on whether ATVs can share some roads in town with motor vehicles.

MORE
    ESCAPE OUTSIDE WITH WMUR.COM

View content about the great outdoors from Paula Tracy.

MORE
    Gorham town officials are looking at a similar measure as part of a larger effort to make the Great North Woods a national destination for ATVs.

Chris Gamache, director of the state bureau of trails, said Berlin, Pittsburg and now Stewartstown have passed measures to allow the riders access to stores, gas stations and restaurants from the trail to the road.

On Jan. 9, Colebrook joined in as well.

About 80 attended a public hearing on the subject Dec. 19 where there was widespread support for the idea, he said.

With Jericho Mountain State Park in Berlin becoming the center for ATV riding in the state, a plan is now under way to develop a network of trails which will allow riders to travel from Berlin to Errol to Colebrook to Beecher Falls, Vt. to Pittsburg and loop back with connections between Dixville and Stark.

"It would be a several hundred-mile route if you did the whole thing," said Gamache.

"This would be a national draw for ATV riders. We have a lot of international attention from Jericho right now," he noted.

The selectmen agreed to open up roads after the spring thaw in Colebrook. Those roads include East Colebrook Road, Pleasant Street, Gould Street, Cross Street, Reed Road, Colby Street, Russell Road, Bear Rock Road, Brandy Lee Lane, Cree Road, Bill Bromage Drive, Depot Street and Lombard Street.

Gamache said he met last week with Gorham selectmen, who are looking at their roads and ATV map and may have something in place there in time for the spring

Read more: http://www.wmur.com/news/sports/esca...#ixzz2I5HYfyzd

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Re: ATVs now legal on some roads in Colebrook

What a fantastic idea. I'm surprised it's taken so long for this to happen considering it's common practice just over the border in VT.

Last edited by ZX-12R; 01-15-13 at 05:09 PM.
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Maine has been this way for several years now. All the little towns love it, as it brings a lot of people/money to those area's. A good move IMO

Yamaha

I get a kick out of seeing all the four wheelers at the grocery store in Bennedicta ME. It's still a bit odd traveling in the middle of a pack of UTVs and ATVs while in my truck, but I have yet to see a downside.

There's A LOT of towns now up north that are starting to allow ATV's on roads, within reason. It's spreading rapidly now too...

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

cool! I figure it would be the other way around with the riding areas disappearing

Lifer

Good to know. My wife and I are starting to look for a small summer place, in an area that is ATV friendly. I am still trying to figure out which New England state is most ATV friendly. I had heard that NH was better than both VT and ME, but others have told me that it completely depends on the town and surrounding area.