Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I should have bought a 2 stroke

Re: I should have bought a 2 stroke

i have ridden a kx65 and a rm125, the rm125 didnt really have the power i was expecying it to in comparison to my 250f, granted it was a 2000 rm125 and probably due for a top end. As of right now i am 100% unsure of what i want, i just understand that 4 strokes tend to be higher maintence and im looking to be able to ride and not worry about it other then maybe a piston and rings every season as i really wouldnt ride more then maybe 5 hours a week and probably not every week.

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    corey - you might also be well suited to a milder woods 4t instead of an MX 4t...WR250, WR450, DRZ400, etc.

but as others mentioned an MX bike with flywheel weight, bark busters, and (if you have the $$) a woods suspension will essentially let it do both

KDX220 is definitely a good option here too...good woods weapon and I've seen people take it to MX tracks too

but man, you should really see if you can ride someone's 2t to make sure you like the light, bouncy, boingy nature of that beast first

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Corey

Come take mine for a rip. What you'd spend more on now is less than if you had to do a head on a 4 stroke, then have it sprung and valved for your weight.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Come take mine for a rip. What you'd spend more on now is less than if you had to do a head on a 4 stroke, then have it sprung and valved for your weight.
    Ride swap day somewhere, I'll bring my WReck as an example of a 250 2s with a hotted up motor and a flywheel weight?

You are free to ride my ktm 134sx with a fww as well. The 6 speed makes it very ridable. I might even be convinced to sell it.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    I think im about the same weight as you, kind of hoping for something a bit newer but its a possibility

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Ride swap day somewhere, I'll bring my WReck as an example of a 250 2s with a hotted up motor and a flywheel weight?
    I'd love to see what kind of power a 250 2 stroke makes, just dont know anyone with one, that would be awesome

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    You are free to ride my ktm 134sx with a fww as well. The 6 speed makes it very ridable. I might even be convinced to sell it.
    PM me?

Corey

I'm not digging at all. That's truly how I operate, preteen. And db snorkel is all done. There aren't even any kicking around the web, or I'd have another. Still kicking myself for letting the other one go with my old bike.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

a13x - I was talking about adams - my friend had a DRZ and pitbike, and honestly liked the pit bike more. Seeing how I already steer towards smaller bikes, I think the XR100 is the right choice for minimoto.

when do you guys do minimoto? I'll come along

and good eye - that is milestone...pretty stoked to get actual air on an XR100...can't wait until I can do even more! let me know when you and Jen go to Corona too
    Heh. Jen works at Troy Lee Designs (as a designer) so she's there all day arryday! I work out of Corona as well.

I might hit Milestone after work tomorrow....... get there say 5:30-5:45

Quote Originally Posted by a13x View Post
    Heh. Jen works at Troy Lee Designs (as a designer) so she's there all day arryday! I work out of Corona as well.

Must not show envy... must not show envy... must not show envy...

Aw crap.

When and where is this swap day? I'll bring a stock KX80, a modified-for-6ft tall-person KX100, and a CR500. Preferably a nice field if you want to ride the 500. I'd be interested in riding a KTM 300, 134, 200, KDX200/220 and any 125 mxer.

Heh. Jen works at Troy Lee Designs (as a designer) so she's there all day arryday!
    coolest thing i've heard all day go Jen!

Beta 200RR

Just for shits and giggles, check this video out. You can hear him Womp, Womp, womping through the tight stuff, and only on the pipe a little bit coming through a lot of it. Of course, he does get on it, and that sound will carry.
    http://jdayoffroad.com/2012/rd13-trackpreview/

Swap day, eh? Intrigued. My wife is staying home, so fuckoff.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

that course looks fast 'n fun!

Beta 200RR

Sure does. That's his MO. I forgot to add: that's a '13 250xc.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

My dirty is an 05 KDX 220....I'm also in possession of a friend's 05 WR 250 thumper (for sale)..... Corey you're welcome to ride both if you want. Swap day would be fun. I prefer 2T, and with my build (6'2" @ 160) the 220 is quiet and lugs good in the woods. I would have no prob taking it to an mx track. For me, a woods bike on an mx track makes more sense...I'm not real fast on an mx track, so the gearing and softer setup doesn't affect me that much there. If you'll do more woods than mx, go bigger than 125....roots, rocks, hillclimbs and tight corners when it's wet out will explain that choice.....
    I'm heading to Jericho Mtn in Berlin, NH this weekend to go camping and riding with my son if anyone is up that way.......

2008 Fisher-Price Kawi 12VDC
    Exide hi-performance battery
    Frost-King duct tape reinforced steering damper
    Topps "Garbage Pail Kids" custom graphics

can someone else confirm of the WR and DRZ400 are lower maintenance rides?

corey - if you didn't like the RM125 (which needs to be on the pipe the whole time to make power), you might not like any of the 2-smoke 125's/134's/200's....the ktm exc 2 strokes make pretty good power for a 2-stroke, but it doesn't come anywhere close to what it feels to ride a good 4-stroke

you might need another 4t...just not a higher performance/higher maintenance machine

that ride swap day is your cheapest, most knowledgeable resource...find what works best for you

and what's your budget? I don't want to be rude, but you might need to increase your budget. In my experience, getting a high performance, low maintenance, good condition bike for little money is a challenge...most cheap bikes will require a lot of repair and money to be up to speed, and bikes that are ready to go are usually priced high to begin with. One of two things need to happen to get a bike that's lower than iglu's:
    1.) you find a good deal on something - this pwns everything...think of it like getting a good deal on a car, that you drive 2 years and sell it for what you bought it for. But it's rare to find a good deal on a bike, because someone will pick it up before you do.
    2.) you increase your budget - ie. - look at othersean's YZ450...that thing is a monster machine that was well maintained (original owner is actually on this forum!) and pretty much will only require preventative maintenance...but it's $2,900

Last edited by breakdirt916; 10-03-12 at 10:53 AM.

I'm working in Irvine until 7, how's next Wednesday looking for you?

and send my congrats to Jen! last I saw her at the D-store she was telling me about her new job

2.) you increase your budget - ie. - look at othersean's YZ450...that thing is a monster machine that was well maintained (original owner is actually on this forum!) and pretty much will only require preventative maintenance...but it's $2,900
    And it's a 450. I rode a 450 on the motocross track and it was way too much bike to be fun. Nevermind trails.

The wr and drz are lower maintenance than a lot of bikes, but the misconception that the euro machines are high maintenance is ridiculous. You can do valve checks every (whatever) but when the thing gets difficult to start, then you know it's time. It's not going to detonate with the valves a tiny bit out of spec.

And if preteen is getting 75hrs+ out of a 134 smoker, that's a top end (maybe 2hrs of wrenching) every year or so?
    That's not what I would consider back breaking. That leaves air filters, tires, chain and sprockets, same shit as any other dirty.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    And it's a 450. I rode a 450 on the motocross track and it was way too much bike to be fun. Nevermind trails.
    Maybe it isn't too much bike. Maybe you are too little person?

The 450 MX bikes can definitely be a handful in the woods even for experienced dirty riders. Only reason I think I get away with it is I weigh so much and have a pretty smooth throttle hand, pair that with my idiot light that comes on pretty early and that usually works to keep me out of trouble.

The DRZ400 is a tank! <---heavy

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    Maybe it isn't too much bike. Maybe you are too little person?

The 450 MX bikes can definitely be a handful in the woods even for experienced dirty riders. Only reason I think I get away with it is I weigh so much and have a pretty smooth throttle hand, pair that with my idiot light that comes on pretty early and that usually works to keep me out of trouble.
    When I noticed it the most is when I just start to get tired. Takes a shit ton more energy to try to hold onto the fuckin thing lol!

2005 cr125 for 2k?
    i guess for me i see a 2 stroke 250 as being way to powerful for me, same with 450 four strokes, im new to the dirt, the 250f is alot for me to handle, i love it but its alot to handle for sure

Last edited by hondarider102; 10-03-12 at 06:31 PM.
    Corey

Or you could save some green and get Clayton's that's already set up.
    Fwiw, he maybe a cute little cuddly hair ball (that's also a sarcastic prick sometimes), but he has earned my trust as a seller.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Or you could save some green and get Clayton's that's already set up.
    Fwiw, he maybe a cute little cuddly hair ball (that's also a sarcastic prick sometimes), but he has earned my trust as a seller.
    not saying claytons is a bad deal, just wanted to get into something a bit newer thats all

Corey

I've been riding dirt for 23 years and I want nothing to do with a 450!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast