Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Results 1 to 25 of 25

Anyone ever done a J Day?

  1. #1
    TWINS! xrocket21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central Maine
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,726

    Anyone ever done a J Day?



    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  2. #2
    Backwoods lobster boy number9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hanover, NH
    Posts
    4,621

    Re: Anyone ever done a J Day?

    There are a few guys who have done them here.. I did one a couple of years ago and I thought it was excruciating. But I was a (relative) beginner both in the woods and in terms of fitness. I don't regret doing it at all, but it was a pretty hard day!

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

  3. #3
    TWINS! xrocket21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central Maine
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,726

    Re: Anyone ever done a J Day?

    Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    There are a few guys who have done them here.. I did one a couple of years ago and I thought it was excruciating. But I was a (relative) beginner both in the woods and in terms of fitness. I don't regret doing it at all, but it was a pretty hard day!
    I was warned that it's intense cardio, and I'm not in great shape... my friend said if I could just finish I'd be ahead of a bunch of the crowd. It would be the 40+ senior class...

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  4. #4
    Backwoods lobster boy number9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hanover, NH
    Posts
    4,621

    Re: Anyone ever done a J Day?

    Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    I was warned that it's intense cardio, and I'm not in great shape... my friend said if I could just finish I'd be ahead of a bunch of the crowd. It would be the 40+ senior class...
    I did the sportsman class (which I think is basically "slower people who are too young for other classes") and I got lapped pretty good.. and a few competitors rode by me and shouted choice words of encouragement.

    If you can ride dirt for 15-20 minutes without collapsing, you'll probably be fine for fitness? That's about how fit I was at the time. I also had to work a lot harder because I kept crashing, would have to pick up the bike, try and restart it, etc. Go fast and don't crash and you'll be fine

    edited to add: the JDay folks were very friendly and accommodating having a newbie out there, but it was hard yakka. It felt way, way harder than being on an MX track (where I am still pretty slow)

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by number9; 06-08-21 at 01:51 PM.
    '02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

  5. #5
    WMC original sdog30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Burgy
    Age
    46
    Posts
    2,966

    Re: Anyone ever done a J Day?

    I do a couple a year. I run C Senior, which is over 40. It's usually about 40 in our wave. They also run 3 other groups. (2) 30 minute motos.

    It's hard. A little nerve racking. But fun, too. I keep doing them and I'm definitely not a motocross guy. Good training. Interesting to do. You should probably be comfortable riding in the woods. And being passed. The rest of it is fine. There's an easy route around the extreme section if you don't want to do it.

    2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

  6. #6
    TWINS! xrocket21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central Maine
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,726

    Re: Anyone ever done a J Day?

    Fine I'm the woods, we have pretty nasty trails around me. I've been wanting to take a vid of a course i made. I'm most worried about cardio and other riders.

    I'm pretty sure I'm gonna donity, I have some off-road tires coming. I think my son will do the 50cc class too.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  7. #7
    Backwoods lobster boy number9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hanover, NH
    Posts
    4,621

    Re: Anyone ever done a J Day?

    Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    Fine I'm the woods, we have pretty nasty trails around me. I've been wanting to take a vid of a course i made. I'm most worried about cardio and other riders.

    I'm pretty sure I'm gonna donity, I have some off-road tires coming. I think my son will do the 50cc class too.
    I think if you're fine in the woods you'll be fine. Yeah, cardio is gonna suck, but I think you should do it anyway.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

  8. #8
    TWINS! xrocket21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central Maine
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,726

    Re: Anyone ever done a J Day?

    Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    I think if you're fine in the woods you'll be fine. Yeah, cardio is gonna suck, but I think you should do it anyway.
    Thanks dude!

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  9. #9
    WMC original sdog30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Burgy
    Age
    46
    Posts
    2,966

    Re: Anyone ever done a J Day?

    If your slow, its really only like 26 minutes. Besides the start, you only get passed by people lapping you later in the race. Just hold your line.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

  10. #10
    Powered by Kurtz theducman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Branford CT
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,545

    Re: Anyone ever done a J Day?

    I did one and hated it. Waited like 3 hrs to ride and my wave was packed. I compare it to a warrior dash on bikes.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Ducati/MV Agusta/Kawasaki/Honda
    LRRS AM# 772
    Boston Tier 1 Racing
    Yoshimura / Lucas Oil / DP Brakes / AXO America / Vortex Racing/ Woodcraft/ Racer Gloves

  11. #11
    WMC original sdog30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Burgy
    Age
    46
    Posts
    2,966

    Re: Anyone ever done a J Day?

    Quote Originally Posted by theducman View Post
    I did one and hated it. Waited like 3 hrs to ride and my wave was packed. I compare it to a warrior dash on bikes.
    That's fair. No practice, just the two motos. So definitely some waiting. The positive is that plenty of time to recover from the first moto. Also, its cool to watch the fast guys and see how they are doing it.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

  12. #12
    Lifer typeone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    central MA
    Age
    48
    Posts
    7,209

    Re: Anyone ever done a J Day?

    hope you're still doing this, wish this was a week or two out, i've been looking for an event to enter my Pee Wees in, would be fun to meet up. keep me posted if you guys do another.

    side note: we're def hitting the NETRA Jack Frost Fun Run Oct 3rd down here in Oxford, MA

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

  13. #13
    Lifer gixxer72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    The desert
    Posts
    2,247

    Re: Anyone ever done a J Day?

    Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    Never done one or ridden the woods around Hemonds. But, the MX tracks there are super fun. About 20 of us rented the place for a day several years ago, dirt cheap, no frills laps.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  14. #14
    WMC original sdog30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Burgy
    Age
    46
    Posts
    2,966

    Re: Anyone ever done a J Day?

    Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    hope you're still doing this, wish this was a week or two out, i've been looking for an event to enter my Pee Wees in, would be fun to meet up. keep me posted if you guys do another.

    side note: we're def hitting the NETRA Jack Frost Fun Run Oct 3rd down here in Oxford, MA
    Feel like I've been in a different state every week doing supermoto for the last month. Headed to Wisconsin Thursday. Once the racing season settles down, I'll be more available to ride dirt. I usually cap off the year at Southwick for that last j day. I'll have to look into that Jack Frost fun run.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

  15. #15
    TWINS! xrocket21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central Maine
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,726

    Re: Anyone ever done a J Day?

    Its this weeked! My intentions of training resulted in me doing zero training

    Im gonna be so gassed

    My son is super hyped

    3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  16. #16
    Lifer typeone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    central MA
    Age
    48
    Posts
    7,209

    Re: Anyone ever done a J Day?

    Quote Originally Posted by sdog30 View Post
    Feel like I've been in a different state every week doing supermoto for the last month. Headed to Wisconsin Thursday. Once the racing season settles down, I'll be more available to ride dirt. I usually cap off the year at Southwick for that last j day. I'll have to look into that Jack Frost fun run.
    meant to say hello up at Loudon, been years since i had met you but saw you on our way out ... sweet on all the sumo races, nice work! ... Jack Frost is a fun day, usually they have a chili cookoff and great loops set up. mellow atmosphere, hit as many loops as you want with a few hero sections and go-arounds. my little guys are pumped for the pee wee course.

    Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    Its this weeked! My intentions of training resulted in me doing zero training

    Im gonna be so gassed

    My son is super hyped
    training-schmaining ... a wise old soul once told me all you need is 99 Problems blaring on the way to the track, suit up, pound a Red Bull at the start line ... make win

    good luck, man! it's a good time for sure. demanding, but a good time.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

  17. #17
    TWINS! xrocket21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central Maine
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,726

    Re: Anyone ever done a J Day?

    Crashed once, finished both motos, didn't come in last, go pro crapped out. 6 yr old son killed it, rode like 1hr 20 min, finished not last.
    He need a better bike though, the kdx50 couldn't make it up everything.

    Pics tomorrow, I'm fucking toast

    5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  18. #18
    WMC original sdog30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Burgy
    Age
    46
    Posts
    2,966

    Re: Anyone ever done a J Day?

    Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    Crashed once, finished both motos, didn't come in last, go pro crapped out. 6 yr old son killed it, rode like 1hr 20 min, finished not last.
    He need a better bike though, the kdx50 couldn't make it up everything.

    Pics tomorrow, I'm fucking toast
    Win in my book.

    I even like gaining positions in the second moto from others being too tired to ride.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

  19. #19
    Backwoods lobster boy number9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hanover, NH
    Posts
    4,621

    Re: Anyone ever done a J Day?

    Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    Crashed once, finished both motos, didn't come in last, go pro crapped out. 6 yr old son killed it, rode like 1hr 20 min, finished not last.
    He need a better bike though, the kdx50 couldn't make it up everything.

    Pics tomorrow, I'm fucking toast
    Outstanding!

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

  20. #20
    TWINS! xrocket21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central Maine
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,726

    Re: Anyone ever done a J Day?

    I think my boy was one of the smallest kids there on the smallest bike (there was a PW50 as well I guess). Im so proud he finished. Looking at the go pro footage he went down like 5 times in the woods and people helped him.







    Im on the orange KTM, black gear, red helmet.








    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by xrocket21; 07-25-21 at 09:05 AM.

  21. #21
    TWINS! xrocket21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central Maine
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,726

    Re: Anyone ever done a J Day?

    Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    hope you're still doing this, wish this was a week or two out, i've been looking for an event to enter my Pee Wees in, would be fun to meet up. keep me posted if you guys do another.

    side note: we're def hitting the NETRA Jack Frost Fun Run Oct 3rd down here in Oxford, MA
    Noted, you guys are always welcome to come up and do some mountain/ woods riding too. We have a tent camp site or youre welcome to sleep inside as well lol. We have a spare queen bed a fold out couch, and plenty of floor space.

    edit: was hyped for jack frost and my wife pointed out we will be in Idaho for the Ford Performance school for the Explorer ST we we bought. Next year we will be there!!!!!

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by xrocket21; 07-25-21 at 09:01 AM.

  22. #22
    TWINS! xrocket21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central Maine
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,726

    Re: Anyone ever done a J Day?


    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  23. #23
    Lifer typeone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    central MA
    Age
    48
    Posts
    7,209

    Re: Anyone ever done a J Day?

    nice work !! sounds like you both had a fantastic first round, love it ! yeah, we def need to hook up at some point, i just bumped the boys up to CRFs, they're loving the extra power.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

  24. #24
    TWINS! xrocket21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central Maine
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,726

    Re: Anyone ever done a J Day?

    Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    nice work !! sounds like you both had a fantastic first round, love it ! yeah, we def need to hook up at some point, i just bumped the boys up to CRFs, they're loving the extra power.
    I think we got the helmet and goggles from you?

    what model CRFs are they on?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  25. #25
    Lifer typeone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    central MA
    Age
    48
    Posts
    7,209

    Re: Anyone ever done a J Day?

    Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    I think we got the helmet and goggles from you?

    what model CRFs are they on?
    def helmet, and maybe the CP? cant remember. glad that stuff has been getting use!

    110 and 50 CRFs. they were on 80 and 50 PWs ... the weights are a big change but i had them take the Planet Dirt school to see how the transition would be. other than kinda crappy tires (and the fact that they aren't 2T, heh), they've been the perfect upgrades.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •