Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Husqvarna being sold to KTM?

here we go again reunion party with the 'Berg team?

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...arna-for-sale/

High-placed motorcycle industry sources have tipped MCN off that BMW is negotiating the sale of Husqvarna to Austrian firm KTM with an announcement expected as early as the end of this week to officially confirm it.

German giant BMW bought Husqvarna from MV Agusta in 2008; just as the world entered a financial crisis but has ploughed huge sums of money into the firm which is based in northern Italy with new road bikes like the Nuda 900 and a complete reworking of the off-road range too.

BMW has not just revamped the range of road and off-road bikes but it has completely renovated the production lines, built a brand new racing and research and development arm along with transferring lots of BMW staff from Munich to Italy to work on the brand.

Now it appears BMW is in the final process of selling Husqvarna to KTM; which itself is part-owned by the massive Indian firm Bajaj. One source who didn’t want to be named said: “I do not know if this is a signed deal yet but I understand the final parts of the negotiations are happening now.”

The rumours have reached MCN from multiple sources with some even claiming the deal is going to be announced later this week. Sources in Austria, Germany and Italy are all in broad agreement this is happening.

BMW traditionally refuses to comment on speculation of any kind and this is the same in this case with no response to questions. Husqvarna and KTM are also saying nothing at this stage.

MCN will update this story as soon as there is anything to add.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

Re: Husqvarna being sold to KTM?

And the wheel just keeps on turning. Husqvarna really is a whore of a company now.

Shannon

Lifer

"This just in from the rumor mill: "Cross Industries ag, the company that owns 51% of KTM bought Husqvarna, not KTM itself." - Trail Rider Magazine

If they could have a lower price point then real Katooms it could make sense

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

gregp... i was just responding to Dip Dungles with something similar. yes, KTM = 47% Bajaj, 51.5% Cross Industries

many of them are (whores) when you look into who really 'owns' a various brand. money, money, money...

KTM has gained amazing traction over the years but i still see it as a fluke. breaking up the Japanse 4 is not an easy task for a Eurotrash dirt bike. for some reason, they've made it work. all i read are quirks about the orange bikes (just like other Euro bikes) yet people buy them up like hot cakes.

very curious to see where this goes. BMW was good for Husky money-wise, but being a dirt guy, the focus wasn't sharp enough. KTM/Berg are dirt focused. BUT why have three similar brands under one roof?

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    If they could have a lower price point then real Katooms it could make sense
    this is a great point. i guess a few KTM dealers that took on Husky started seeing Husky's fly out the door due to the lower price point. Husky's are a bargain compared to the other 'exotic' brands.

Beta 200RR

Lifer

The biggest selling point for KTM is their "clean" CoO's, and the fact that they still like to install 6 speed transmissions in their off road bikes. The Big 4's "Enduro" bikes are impossible to get on the road, without jumping through some very formidable hoops, and they all (well, most) still have 5 speed transmissions. KTM also has the best dealership and parts network, out of all of the Euro-bikes. Just try to buy aftermarket graphics, plastic, or seat covers for a Beta, Husky, Sherco, or even a Husaberg. Some of these manufacturer's are coming out with some really great bikes (Beta, Sherco), but you have to really want one, and be willing to work for it, as they are not sold in every major city, like KTM or the Big 4.

People buy them up like hotcakes for 3 reasons:
    Around these parts, they are excellent machines in the woods.
    They are better supported locally than husky.
    When compared to the Japanese, it's one of the only ways to get a plated dirty that's actually a dirty.

BMW hasn't done much for the brand other than making a couple watered down streetish bikes, IMO. I hope they're going to be better off with somebody else at the helm.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    this is a great point. i guess a few KTM dealers that took on Husky started seeing Husky's fly out the door due to the lower price point. Husky's are a bargain compared to the other 'exotic' brands.
    ...and I am still seriously considering one. It is too bad that their transmissions are so weird (all 6 gears very close together - on the 250's and 310's, at least). KTM had similar issues back in the 90's, with some of their LC-4 transmissions having a "drop anchor" first gear, and a huge gap to 2nd. They got it sorted out quickly, though. Husky seems to be ignoring it, for now. If I am going to drop that much money on a new dirt bike, I do not want it to be hobbled by a funky transmission (something that can not be "fixed" -unlike suspension damping or spring rates, or lean running, or a restrictive muffler, or a hard seat).

greg, have you ridden a TE310 yet? i haven't, just curious if you still felt the tranny was 'weird'.

my TC is fantastic off-road. like really good for a 'MX bike'. i never felt the transmission (or suspension!) held me back or was off in any given situation. i've ridden that bike in everything from tight woods, open woods, rock gardens, log gardens, Crow Hill, Southwick, etc. awesome every time.

strange that the TE could be worse and yet it's a better suited to off-road/enduro (?)

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    They are better supported locally than husky.
    this is the problem. i tried TWICE to purchase Husky's from Wagner, my local dealer. huge fail. Aramand's was another no go but certainly not local.

shops in PA and NJ seem top notch. had excellent dealings with a few dealers down there but distance killed the deal.

Hall's is my go-to for parts (and 1 bike, actually) but they're out in IL. Jeff in parts is my hero. if that shop was in Worcester, i'd be shocked to not see more Husky's out in the woods of MA. pricing, customer service, huge parts selection, riders and racers of the brand. all win.

but i think that's rare, especially these days.

Beta 200RR

more twists, or is it clarity (?)

OK made some calls this morning and got a little info. First..BWM is definatly selling. Second...KTM and AG Cross are not buying them. Stefan Pierre the man that owns KTM is buying them. Now what that means extacly no one knows. You can speculate all kinds of senarios and I have heard some wild ones I will not even repeat because they cannot be substaniated.
    this from ADV...

Apparently Husky has been sold to Stefan Peirer, not to KTM

As already whispered BMW Motorrad sells its subsidiary Husqvarna Motorcycles, KTM but not to the personal business of its CEO Stefan Pierer called Pierer Industries AG. The consequences for Pierers role as CEO of KTM is still unclear and will in the next six time be sought out. It is obvious that the European competition authorities to interfere with this, but also the chance that Pierer abundantly present his position at KTM will resign. For some time Pierer still the CEO of the Austrian motorcycle company, but a large part of the shares therein are sold to the Indian motorcycle giant Bajaj. Purchasing Husqvarna Pierer would potentially enable again completely with a clean slate to start again.

There will be viewed in the coming months if there is any form of cooperation between KTM and Husqvarna is possible, there is at least already a new model announced at the EICMA 2013 already will be shown

This morning we reported that KTM is not in the market to buy Husqvarna, this would also not very logical step. For BMW ensures the sale of Husqvarna for substantially losing face. The German company pumped millions into the Italian Husqvarna, but could never make a success of.

The following chart is from Cross Industries Ltd, the company which Bajaj for almost half owner. It now owns Husqvarna said Pierer Industries AG makes no part of it.

Original link in Dutch

So if Google translate is to be believed, Peirer sells his remaining shares in KTM to Bajaj and goes forth to resurrect Husky. Makes more sense, especially the part about the European anti-trust authorities
    hmmm.. .

Beta 200RR

more twists, or is it clarity (?)

hmmm.. .
    can't wait to see how this all pans out

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Stefan Pierer gets annoyed that an Indian company has gained so much stake in KTM, leaves the company taking Husaberg with him, buys Husqvarna (that BMW just pumped cash into) and reunites forces of old to stomp out KTM and it's Indian owners???

woah!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

Stefan Pierer gets annoyed that an Indian company has gained so much stake in KTM, leaves the company taking Husaberg with him, buys Husqvarna (that BMW just pumped cash into) and reunites forces of old to stomp out KTM and it's Indian owners???

woah!
    this would be epically awesome

bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

AJ, Armand jr, is a fucking asshole.
    I'm really surprised the doors haven't slammed shut in that place.

I know a lot of people hate Wagner too. It's a shame, really. Like I said, I hope they do better with someone else running the show.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

OK, so it wasn't just me

i was so desperate to grab an '09 WR125 before the season kicked off that i ALMOST drove out there to just buy from him after a few insulting email exchanges (on his part). cant remember if we talked on the phone... the day i was ready to hop in the truck my wife was like, "you're going to give that dick your money?"

so glad i held out. Hall's was awesome to deal with.

Beta 200RR

Rumor: KTM CEO Stefan Pierer is buying Husqvarna

Several media are speculating that KTM's CEO Stefan Pierer and his personal company Pierer Industries AG are planning on buying Husqvarna Motorcycles from BMW.

Hell for Leather quotes Nieuwsmotor's Iwan van der Valk on how the deal is apparently going down:

“It’s not KTM that is buying Husqvarna, but KTM’s CEO and part-owner Stefan Pierer. He bought it with his ‘other’ company Pierer Industries AG. This is not connected to Cross AG, the owner company in which both Pierer and Bajaj hold shares. The next six months will be spent looking how Husqvarna can cooperate with KTM but a new model is already promised to revealed at the 2013 EICMA in november.”

Nothing is 100% official yet but we will keep you updated on the details.
    um, this guy has a little cash laying around, huh?

Beta 200RR

I hope Husky can bring a legit challenge to KTM in this area. I almost bought one from Wagner's due to the price point. I'm so happy I went with the KTM, for 2 reasons....

(1) Cliff's is 15 mins from my house and I drive by almost every day. You can't touch their level of service.

(2) The KTM has proved to be worth every penny. Fit/finish and durability have been the best of anything I've owned, and I've owned all of the big 4 from Japan. I never thought I'd like anything else once I got my first Honda. I was wrong! KTM offers a top-notch product. That being said I'm bummed that I didn't get a chance to ride a Husky and see for myself how they are.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

KTM has gained amazing traction over the years but i still see it as a fluke. breaking up the Japanse 4 is not an easy task for a Eurotrash dirt bike. for some reason, they've made it work. all i read are quirks about the orange bikes (just like other Euro bikes) yet people buy them up like hot cakes.
    IMHO the biggest reason KTM has gained so much traction over the years is their wide range of models to choose from. Most brands have 3 MX bikes and 2 Enduro bikes? KTM has a full 2-stroke line up and the same with 4-strokes. And to top that off, they've created a cross between MX and Enduro (XC models) which has been another stong seller for them. I may be a bit off on the models, as I haven't looked at the current line-up (I have a new bike spending problem, so it's best not to look) but just the number of woods bikes they make is impressive...(in Europe there is a 125XCW for riders under the age of 16), 200XCW, 250 XCW, 250XCWF, 300XCW, 350XCWF, 450 XCWF, 500 XCWF, 500EXC, 530EXC....so that's 9 bikes JUST for the enduro class. What are we getting from the big 4, 2 bikes and no 2-stroke option!! They make a bike that fits everyone, pretty simple

I don't think the clean MSO is the biggest factor. Myself and many others have proven that it's not all that hard to register a Japanese brand. From what I've read, RI is one of the hardest states to get this done in, and I got I've done it 4 times in the past 12 years
    Also to me..or your average trail rider, a street plate is going to have less and less value as time goes by. Most states now require their offroad sticker whenever offroad anyways
    I know in Europe, the street plate is not an issue for Enduro's, you buy a single day permit for the bike the day of the event...which is the way it should be here IMHO
    Watching videos from Europe, it's nice to see more of a mix in colors of bikes, not just orange like we see here. But at the end of the day, even with the greater mix in colors, the orange bikes are still on top most of the time.

Having owned a mix of Yamaha and KTM bikes, I don't feel the KTM is built any better quality wise than the Japanese bikes. I hardly had any troubles with the KTM's and Yamaha's I have owned, and both seem to be about the same as far as maintaining.

Yamaha

I'm afraid the days of cheap Huskys are gone. KTM will raise the price of the Husky line, NOT drop the price of the KTMs.

Paul_E_D

heard there will be a press conference this afternoon. it's looking more and more like Stefan Pierer will sell his share of KTM to Bajaj and use the funds to purchase Husqvarna.

can't wait to hear the true story, it's still all speculation out there. that would be nuts if he jumped all-in on Husky, leaving KTM to the Indians. Husky is definitely poised to go mainstream (once again).

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by slowkermit View Post
    I hope Husky can bring a legit challenge to KTM in this area. I almost bought one from Wagner's due to the price point. I'm so happy I went with the KTM, for 2 reasons....

(1) Cliff's is 15 mins from my house and I drive by almost every day. You can't touch their level of service.

(2) The KTM has proved to be worth every penny. Fit/finish and durability have been the best of anything I've owned, and I've owned all of the big 4 from Japan. I never thought I'd like anything else once I got my first Honda. I was wrong! KTM offers a top-notch product. That being said I'm bummed that I didn't get a chance to ride a Husky and see for myself how they are.
    you can ride mine

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    IMHO the biggest reason KTM has gained so much traction over the years is their wide range of models to choose from.
    very true. the lineup is impressive. i have a feeling they will be the first ones to offer the best electric option as well.

Beta 200RR

very true. the lineup is impressive. i have a feeling they will be the first ones to offer the best electric option as well.
    My filthy hippy of a wife won't bat an eyelash when I come home with one either. As soon as there's one worth buying, I'll likely own it.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast