Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111222 ... LastLast

Let's liven up this forum... 2 STROKE!

Re: Let's liven up this forum... 2 STROKE!

Jay, i thought that place looked familiar! must be fun to watch those guys RRRrrip!

more on 2T... this years Glen Helen 2-Stroke Championship will be fun to watch. Husky is entering TEN CR125s! great exposure for the co and bike.

Husqvarna is going to have ten identically prepped CR125 two-strokes at the World Two-Stroke Championship at Glen Helen in April.

Husky is sponsoring a 125 Pro class to complement the current unlimited Pro class of the race. Plus, with their ten CR125s, they want to allow pro level riders from the media, current Husky team riders, or other pro riders to race the bikes.

This is their way of showing how much fun can be found on a 125. The 125 Pro race is open to all brands of bikes and any rider who wants to race, but Husky hopes that its effort to field a ten-man team will encourage more participation.

In the words of Husqvarna’s National Marketing Manager, Corey Eastman, “Our goal is simply to showcase the fun and value that racing a 125 offers. As you know, the expense of our sport is killing it. Riders going from 85cc to a 250F face a huge challenge from a riding and monetary stand point and we thought putting some very capable riders on a few of these machines would be a great way of showing the value and performance 125s offer.”

I applaud Husqvarna for taking a step towards adding new life to the two-stroke. Remember, Husqvarna, along with KTM, Yamaha and TM, are the only major motorcycle manufacturers to still sell two-stroke motocross bikes in the U.S.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

Ok, while we're blowing smoke... any thoughts on the APT SmartCarb? I'm liking the idea of not leaving a James Bond'esqe smoke cloud behind me on the trails to choke off potential villains following me... I also really want to see what the WR will do when jetted properly but I'm getting sick of swapping brass.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

look into the Lectron carb, cheaper (by a lot) with same benefits. from all the ride reports i've been reading lately, both the APT and Lectron perform VERY well.

i'm seriously thinking of trying the Lectron but JD has been doing some work with the TMXx (finally) so may give that kit a try w/ RB's mods.

APT only has the billet carbs right now, cast versions are due in the summer i think. the billet model looks HEAVY and has some throttle cable issues they're resolving. the wait list is long.

Beta 200RR

Kurlon, did you ever try different oil? something like the Amsoil Interceptor with low flash point? jetting still needs to be correct though.

Beta 200RR

I'm still way fat on the main and pilot I suspect. I tried Amsoil Interceptor on my last trail ride, still left an impressive blue wake behind.

The bike runs well, starts easy hot or cold, can be lugged or wrung out. It's just not 'crisp' yet by any stretch of the imagination.

I have had good results with the approach of fat pilot/lean needle/fat main on dirty bikes. Reduces smoking, starts easy, idles, and generally rips. (this is relative to optimally lean settings. It's likely the rich stock needle causing the billowing smoke show.

Paul_E_D

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Josh If they can do it with a 500 you should be able to do it with a 125

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

^ very cool project!

Beta 200RR

Well... my bike is a touch bigger than a 125... it's a 250 that accidentally had an accident with a re-plater and a carbide burr...

I'd love to do an EFI conversion, or hell a DFI conversion... but when I see the results people are getting with carbs I have to ask... why make my dirty toy more complicated?

try the Lectron! $299, no jets

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    try the Lectron! $299, no jets
    Yeah, but you get to play with needles on them... that's supposedly where the APT shines, one needle to rule them all, and in the darkness bind the... I'll stop now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Yeah, but you get to play with needles on them... that's supposedly where the APT shines, one needle to rule them all, and in the darkness bind the... I'll stop now.
    they dyno/wet test the carb to set the air/fuel mixture for the entire RPM range before shipping based on your bike/motor info. supposedly gets you well within the ballpark but right, who knows if more adjustment will be needed at first.

i've been watching both closely, APT vs Lectron, but the APT seems to still have some design issues (for me). makes it hard to swallow the $800 invoice.

Last edited by typeone; 01-03-13 at 07:30 PM.
    Beta 200RR

Supposedly the bench test is to verify everything matches design expectations, not to tune towards a given bike. They supposedly use the same needle/slide across the board.

On the design front, I know the APT is a bit different due to the lack of vent/overflow lines, the billet units are getting anti-backflow valves added on the two exposed hoses, the cast is supposed to have them integrated into the internal passages. Still some discussion on coming up with additional ways for a stuck float and open petcock to not flood a bike going on. What issues have you concerned?

(For the record, IF I buy a new carb, I'm not buying the billet unit. I like well machined aluminum as much as the next guy, but that is a STEEP price to pay for a carb. Even if they had billets available, it's not worth the price premium to have one sooner over this summer for the cast ones.)

Jay, i thought that place looked familiar! must be fun to watch those guys RRRrrip!

more on 2T... this years Glen Helen 2-Stroke Championship will be fun to watch. Husky is entering TEN CR125s! great exposure for the co and bike.
    Miss the days when the 4 stroke championship was the special event and a fast 4t was a white brothers xr600 and mx bikes required oil in the gas. And even I could rebuild a top end in less than an hour. Braaaap.

2013 ZX6R-636

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Supposedly the bench test is to verify everything matches design expectations, not to tune towards a given bike. They supposedly use the same needle/slide across the board.

On the design front, I know the APT is a bit different due to the lack of vent/overflow lines, the billet units are getting anti-backflow valves added on the two exposed hoses, the cast is supposed to have them integrated into the internal passages. Still some discussion on coming up with additional ways for a stuck float and open petcock to not flood a bike going on. What issues have you concerned?

(For the record, IF I buy a new carb, I'm not buying the billet unit. I like well machined aluminum as much as the next guy, but that is a STEEP price to pay for a carb. Even if they had billets available, it's not worth the price premium to have one sooner over this summer for the cast ones.)
    i might be in the lucky camp then because they are setting them up specifically for my application upon request. i just assumed this was the way they worked after reading about someone ordering a test unit and having that info printed on the invoice. another guy ordered one with requested adjustments based on a conversation.

as for the metering rod/needle thingie (my geek only goes so far)... i thought both companies have a range of metering rods for fine tuning?

yes, the issues you mention... no check valve to prevent the motor/airbox from filling with fuel if you dump the bike. no good. i also read about cable frustrations where the cable seat isn't secure for some reason. pops out easily, like on a ride. no good. i guess there is some tiny screw hole you can use but if that set screw comes loose, it could be ingested by the motor. no good. the APT is a little long for my bike as well so that bums me out. needs to be shoehorned in.

then there is the Piglet Billet issue. thing looks OBESE. and i guess it is. BUT, i havent tried either carb, just going on threads i've been reading over the past month or so. interesting how this old tech is resurfacing. both sound real promising for electric-like power delivery.

$313 shipped for the Lectron gives me a real itchy trigger finger

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by backinthesaddle View Post
    Miss the days when the 4 stroke championship was the special event and a fast 4t was a white brothers xr600 and mx bikes required oil in the gas. And even I could rebuild a top end in less than an hour. Braaaap.
    totally agree curious if all these 'Keepin It Real' type events will really bring the 2-stroke back. for young racers, it makes complete sense.

to your point, i'm all smiles tearing into the 2-stroke but i've got major work to do to the 4-stroke this winter and i'm dreading the complexity.

Beta 200RR

I'm game for a wrench day if you want to make a party out of that 4 stroke work.

And speaking of 'Keepin It Real' what classes will everyone be running at Stimilon?

appreciate it!

i guess if i didnt have so much to do between both bikes i'd feel a little better. just need to make a list and start checking things off. waited long enough...

as for Stimilon, not sure. i'll do my usual and sign up last minute

Beta 200RR

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

i've got major work to do to the 4-stroke this winter and i'm dreading the complexity.
    No need to dread the 4 stroke work. The Husky motors are put together very nicely and the manuals are very comprehensive. You are far more into tinkering on your bikes than I ever was and I took my 510 motor down to the split cases and swapping all the bearings without an issue. I'm more than sure it'll be easy for you.

Joel

Let's liven up this forum... 2 STROKE!

you just lit a fuse, Joel thanks for that. if I don't have to work this weekend, I'll kick off the process.

Beta 200RR

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Clinton,

I have the flywheel removal tool if you need it, I would imagine it would be the same tool for your bike as mine. I also have a home made case splitting device that I think would work on your motor if you are going to go that far. Worst case, we could modify it a bit to make it work.

Joel

great, thanks Joel! you had mentioned a few tools that were needed, glad you still have them, i'm sure i'll take you up on the offer.

i think my first step will be to get the motor out and on the bench then strip down as far as i can to see if the retainer bolt is anywhere accessible without a split. i doubt it will be, but who knows.

really have a feeling it's related to the kicker assembly but total guess.

Beta 200RR

totally agree curious if all these 'Keepin It Real' type events will really bring the 2-stroke back. for young racers, it makes complete sense.

to your point, i'm all smiles tearing into the 2-stroke but i've got major work to do to the 4-stroke this winter and i'm dreading the complexity.
    Agreed I think the 250 4t has to be the biggest problem now in younger kids racing. They move up from an 85cc bike to the 250 4t and the cost to keep it running goes way up. It would be nice but with only KTM, Yam, and Husky (with limited presence) making them I doubt it. I was at a couple Central Village MX races last summer and it was cool to see (and smell) some 2 strokes out there. Even Roger DeCoster said in an interview that at least with a 2 stroke a father/son can do most of the maintenance on a friday night and ride on saturday. Don't have an mx bike anymore but would love a KTM 150SX.

2013 ZX6R-636

Quote Originally Posted by backinthesaddle View Post
    It would be nice but with only KTM, Yam, and Husky (with limited presence) making them I doubt it.
    Husqvarna, Yamaha, KTM, Husaberg, TM, GasGas, Beta and now Sherco all offer 2-strokes in the US. options are out there, not to mention the used market. but yeah, not many at the races unless it's a specific class in a specific area. (for dealer support)

Beta 200RR

Did some poking around and got the following info:

A) If I play my cards right I can score a PWK for around $120 on the right day, when the moon and Venus align...

B) The current APT cable retention system reminds me of some of my older Mikuni stuff, with just a teeny tiny flaw. A one part change in how the retention disk is stamped would solve the problem for them it looks like. The system is being revised (all new carbs, billet and cast will feature the update, it will be retrofitted to the existing billets out there as well) so I suspect they're thinking like I'm thinking on this one.

C) All APT Smartcarbs intended for use with gas have shipped with the same 'A100' needle. Methanol or other fuels use a different needle, etc. They can do custom needles and have a template on hand so you can specify how rich or lean you need the mid-top end to be in comparison to the A100 if required but supposedly there hasn't been a call for it.

D) Cast 38mm units are supposed to ship by May 1st, Stimilon is May 24-26...