Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Mud,sand, snow & ice ride (ride report)

Mud,sand, snow & ice ride (ride report)

Its not really a street ride when the streets are covered in layers of sand, snow, ice, and mud , its more like dirt riding .
    It was above freezing when I left this morning, driveway was clear but still a lot of snow on the ground

the roads how ever were not so clear .

I had to do a U turn at one point, the bridge was out, I didn;t go up to see if there wa sa way around , I didn;t feel like picking the 500 LB bike up if I dropped it in the stream

I might go back when the snow has melted to check it out .

most of the riding in the morning was like this , frozen road, covered in ice with sand on top, traction wasn;t too bad.

once I got through what I have named K9 alley the road was a bit more snow covered , but hard enough to get forward drive on it

time for a snack and some water

random waterfall pic

afternoon thins started to soften up a bit which made traction harder to come by

I got a mile or so down this road and ended up turning around as there was a hill I knew I wasn't going to make it up with my 1 wheel drive vehicle

this one was interesting as the top layer was soft and muddy with tire ruts that grab your wheel , then the under layer is ice.

I went a couple miles on it to find that the middle section wasn;t plowed, but was packed down by sleds, 4x4's and quads.

I had a bitch of a time on this section , it was about 2 miles of loose sloppy snow with all sorts of tire ruts, I did get swapped up a few times but managed to keep it up on its wheels.

I didn't want to stop for pics because I wasn't sure I could get going , and remember momentum is your friend.

here is a shot looking back at it, I needed to get a drink and let my arms relax a bit

It sure was a nice day to go out for a ride

speed was certainly not a factor today . I was out for 4 hours , of that 3.5 hrs was actually riding , I managed 93 miles for the day .
    Studded tires would have helped some , but the challenge with out them was worth the effort.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650
    09 Yamaha WR450F (street legal)

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    08 Yamaha WR250F(street legal )
    09 KLR650

Re: Mud,sand, snow & ice ride (ride report)

looks like a great ride/workout. great pics, make me feel lazy.

Lifer

It certainly beats my ride today. I went about 7 miles then broke through one of those hollow pockets of air (dried up puddles) with about 2 inches of ice covering it over. I was probably only going 15 or 20 mph, but the hole was maybe 2 feet deep and it completely swallowed the front wheel of my KDX. I almost went over the bars, but managed to fall to the right, where I tried to put my foot down in the hole. The jagged broken ice removed skin from both of my legs. It took me a few minutes to get out from under the bike, and get it pulled out of the hole.
    Then I went home and had a cup of coffee.... It was 7:30 AM.
    My DR650 is not registered yet, but it will be soon.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    It certainly beats my ride today. I went about 7 miles then broke through one of those hollow pockets of air (dried up puddles) with about 2 inches of ice covering it over. I was probably only going 15 or 20 mph, but the hole was maybe 2 feet deep and it completely swallowed the front wheel of my KDX. I almost went over the bars, but managed to fall to the right, where I tried to put my foot down in the hole. The jagged broken ice removed skin from both of my legs. It took me a few minutes to get out from under the bike, and get it pulled out of the hole.
    Then I went home and had a cup of coffee.... It was 7:30 AM.
    My DR650 is not registered yet, but it will be soon.
    Greg
    let me know when you get it registered, I will certainly be doing more of this type riding while I wait for the trails to be ridable (with out studs)

though the mud season certainly make the dirt roads "interesting"

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650
    09 Yamaha WR450F (street legal)

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    08 Yamaha WR250F(street legal )
    09 KLR650

Lifer

Thanks, Sean. I am looking forward to exploring some of those nice looking dirt roads and trails that you have out your way.
    Spring will be here soon....