Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The Sound of Future Motocross

Re: The Sound of Future Motocross

I don't know.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    uh, 5 HORSEPOWER? shit, could you use one of those in an old skool mini bike frame??? wheels are turnin' over here
    Yes, the castle 1717, they can be had on ebay for $150-$180

There is also the castle 2028 which is around 10 horsepower and runs on over 30volts

they spin something like 40,000 rpm so you would need a lot of gearing, but it would work. The produce incredible power.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    no...this won't open up more riding areas...

I'm guessing no engine braking??
    Actually, the way all modern esc's work, you will have adjustable drag brake that is fully programmable from any laptop with an adapter cable or a $10 programming card. You could switch between 450F drag brake to 125 2 stroke style in 15 seconds or less. Timing curves are also infinitely adjustable.
    http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...ner_Motor.html

Last edited by Fast_Eddie; 04-30-14 at 03:09 PM.

torque limiting, braking force, traction control, abs, motor timing, throttle curves, etc can easily be done

Hell, you could even have REVERSE on your dirtbike!!!!

That castle motor with this: http://www.castlecreations.com/products/mamba_xl2.html. It's $200 and will run a 30 pound vehicle, so does that mean to provide adequate power to a 300 pound vehicle (guessing the battery is going to weigh a lot), mean it would cost $2000 (10x the price for 10x the power)? Going that route, the $250 motor that propels a 30# rc vehicle would cost $2500, bringing it up to $4500 for a power plant, minus the battery. Being heavily involved in rc for the past 20 years, I have seen the progress of batteries, like mr rocket mentioned. On average, I pay about $50 for a normal battery and up to $100 for a higher performance racing style battery. Again, just guessing this is a proportional thing, that ends up being a $1000 battery, bringing us to $5500. Due to those prices I'd assume a complete bike would go for close to 10k. The fun part will be once this stuff is out for a while. If it's as simple as the rc stuff out there, and there's no reason for it not to be, then aftermarket stuff will be where it's at. If castle is selling that setup for $550, there's a Japanese knock off spitting them out right now for $300 per setup. Once prices come down, and conversion kits are made available, this kind of setup will be much more attainable. Have a leftover 125 kicking around that needs a new top end? Spend 3k on an electric conversion instead of another (yearly?) rebuild on a noisy 2 stroke that doesn't make everyone on the trails assumes you're just out causing trouble? May be something to consider.

bitchin!

so you can still brake late, realize you over shot the turn, and try to use engine braking to slow down as much as you can, before you and the bike launch ungracefully over the berm?

ahh what the hell...I just love dirtbikes...gas/electric/diesel/mojo, I'm down

Last edited by breakdirt916; 05-11-14 at 08:47 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

And don't forget, go just as fast in reverse as it can forward...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12