Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

typeone's Beta build (200RR)

Re: typeone's Beta build (200RR)

Yup been out a few times.
    Might ride again Saturday AM

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Yup been out a few times.
    Might ride again Saturday AM
    ^ that's how you do it, kids ... i'll be in touch

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

jesus christ i'm glad to put this project to bed, starting to have dreams about wires!

so much test fit, remove, plan, cut, test fit, remove, plan, cut. def not as simple as the older wiring layout

OEM style connectors worked out great though, everything i purchased matched connections i was mating back up to

finished product, hope it fucking works front harness is the shorter one, rear longer

mmm, sano behind front plate ... didn't snap other areas, still zip-tying but it's all tidy except in the triangle above the head where everything comes together for the stator, coil, map switch, etc. way less bulk now though.

the nest i removed

still a bunch of basic stuff to wrap up before i can test fire. maybe Thurs

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by typeone; 04-14-21 at 11:37 AM.
    Beta 200RR

fingers crossed!

wires causing dreams though I know that kind of dream

seeing the new harness all laid out looks sparkling clean...good ish

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    ^ that's how you do it, kids ... i'll be in touch

Paul_E_D

it lives ! daddy done good, fired and purrrrrs ... two heat cycles down, one more to go, jam sesh tomorrow

i had a bunch of random plastics in the attic, had a grand plan to try an older GasGas theme of white/red/black ... also loved my plain Jane Husky back in the day ... but ran out of $$$ before i finished designing + printing the graphics kit . maybe some other time

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    fingers crossed!

wires causing dreams though I know that kind of dream

seeing the new harness all laid out looks sparkling clean...good ish

the dream was insane, i had copper strands all in my fingertips that i had to pull out one by one with pliers. hahaa ... 8pm-12am for four nights in a row wearing double glasses to see that tiny shit ... gross

i'm super happy with the end result so far. fits great, seems to be working great but i need to test the upper RPM range before i'll fully know.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    got time to head east tomorrow ?? hitting HVD to shake the rust + test mods + dial

Beta 200RR

Rode a 20 miler today. I will definitely join you out east this year though. Something funky going on with my forks that I need to sort out.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Rode a 20 miler today. I will definitely join you out east this year though. Something funky going on with my forks that I need to sort out.
    awesome ! i may have a weird season where every other Friday is open, can def jam your way ... just did heat cycle 3, so nice to be back on the horse ... regarding suspension, i forgot i had my shock worked on, holy boingy, need to dial that tomorrow. have a free revalve on tap from tuner should it be too soft.

Beta 200RR

many success today, what a mint sesh with the boys, so happy to be back at it ... observations after surgery:

- felt no drastic difference from thinner base gasket
    - 3-step fatter main seemed to dial entire range PERFECTLY
    - motor had zero lean knock anywhere. 93 pump 40:1 worked great, no spooge at all. kleeen
    - on fence about -1T out back, enjoyed slightly more top end, kinda miss a bit of that lower edge but didn't climb anything steep, long and slow
    - losing weight, i lost that buttery feel up front, will drop .46 > .44
    - shock felt amazing, might slow rebound a hair and eval sag but very impressed
    - wiring edits performed flawlessly, no hiccups, will test for charge signal to be sure
    - PC shorty sounds way too barky, prob go back to the carbon Scalvini, just a pain to repack and maintain

what a fun machine...

Last edited by typeone; 04-09-21 at 08:39 PM.
    Beta 200RR

and the world cheered!

woo hoo! it works! aside from a charging test, is there anything else to worry about?

but man there are a few things going on here I'm amazed you can pick out the difference of each mod when done all at once. So a click or two on the rebound and no need for a re-valve?

and I totally understand this feeling:

Quote Originally Posted by typeone
    what a fun machine...
    what it's all about

haven't heard @nhbubba say that recently...haven't seen much light dirty from him recently...maybe this will "kickstart" him to get out

Last edited by breakdirt916; 04-12-21 at 02:49 PM.

and the world cheered!

woo hoo! it works! aside from a charging test, is there anything else to worry about?

but man there are a few things going on here I'm amazed you can pick out the difference of each mod when done all at once. So a click or two on the rebound and no need for a re-valve?

rode it again yesterday and it fired asap so i assume charging is back to normal, but i'll still test. no other worries except if any of my solder joints fail over time from vibes but the way i positioned them, they are not in flex zones like the orig harness. should be bulletproof from here on out.

yes, i wig out about how a bike feels for me so i can sense change pretty quickly ... but there is also the added benefit of hitting the same circuit / obstacles over and over at HVD since it's my local jam.

shock was already revavled, do you mean leverage the freebie revalve after feedback? i'm not sure yet but i do know rebound needs to slow by very little. it's currently at 11 clicks out, which i think is about half way, if i need more than 3 clicks in, i'll chat with the tuner. the reason it's set up well is because he really knows these bikes and the Sachs components. i've used him a handful of times in the past, always does great work. i haven't taken the time to really dial race sag yet so there is plenty of minor edits to test before i have an opinion for him. static sag was right on the money. i have a feeling race is a tad off. didn't have a set of extra hands when i was measuring and wasn't fully geared.

up front, as a quick test, i may drop one .44 spring in to see if that smooths out certain hits, but i'm splitting hairs ... i go through this every season when i fatten up > slim down since i'm right in between spring rates ... plus i forgot that i dropped preload again and stiffened comp towards the end of the season, that might be where the butter comes back ... nothing drastic, i just know i started talking to myself about it through root sections a few times vs end of last season.

Beta 200RR

Lifer

Very nice work! ...but I do get a little bit sad whenever I see the OEM lighting removed from an enduro bike.

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    Very nice work! ...but I do get a little bit sad whenever I see the OEM lighting removed from an enduro bike.
    thanks, Greg ... the nice thing is that i could grab the OEM 'race loom' and add the headlight back on for $140 should i ever need it. a bit more wiring for the brake light but would be simple to build + swap.

Beta 200RR

Lifer

I seem to be in the minority with that perspective these days... I just always want to street plate my trail bikes. I see many enduro bikes that have had their OEM lighting removed - NONE as neatly and thoroughly as yours, though.
    Off topic - at the last supercross race, I saw that ClubMX has adopted the old Yamaha IT colorway on their YZF's! I absolutely love that, and hope that Yamaha adopts it permanently for their WR-R's and WR-F's - to differentiate them from their YZ models.

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    I seem to be in the minority with that perspective these days... I just always want to street plate my trail bikes. I see many enduro bikes that have had their OEM lighting removed - NONE as neatly and thoroughly as yours, though.
    Off topic - at the last supercross race, I saw that ClubMX has adopted the old Yamaha IT colorway on their YZF's! I absolutely love that, and hope that Yamaha adopts it permanently for their WR-R's and WR-F's - to differentiate them from their YZ models.
    Ya, I ADDED a lighting harness to my ktm woods bike. I love having the plate, though I admit that I don't need it much anymore.

Paul_E_D

interesting sentiments

I also paused for a moment looking for a plate and taillight as I *need* the plate to ride anywhere (dirt) 30 mins local to me, to participate in organized rides (ie. LAB2V), and opening up more riding areas

but there's something awesome about a stripped down purpose built enduro bike that's always gratifying. The soul of that bike deems it best on the trails anyways.

yup, totally get it, that's why i saved all the lighting parts JIC, but simplicity is usually always driving my edits ... lean ... had the charge issue not cropped up, i'd have left all that alone. diodes + cap would still have bugged me but ended up needing to keep those anyway. (still annoyed at that)

agreed on the old Yami colorway(s) ! was just Photochopping some of that styling onto my '80 Champ last night a few years back we were at Unadilla when they had a bunch of throwback colorways going on, the Hondas looked super rad.

Beta 200RR

rode more of our standard loop yesterday ... boingers way too boingy ... haven't weighed myself lately but the .46 / 5.6 combo was too much when it gets rocky, seems to be overpowering the valving quite a bit. on the mild trails, with less preload in back, felt OK but both ends felt way oversprung yesterday, almost like i had no damping in the rear at all. dropped a note to my shock tuner but i will swap the .44 / 5.4 combo back in and see how things shake out. since i'll be in the front, might dump Honda 5w fork oil to see what color comes out like and swap in Maxima 5w the fork tuner builds for. why not test, i guess.

jetting wise, i think she can handle one more step richer on the pilot 40 > 42. still zero spooge, 1.5 AS is crisp, pulling strong but a bit more juice down low might be the final ticket. dialing squish to 1mm seemed to really help with low-end torque, will keep the 14/48 gearing for sure. i'm amazed 93 pump is adequate, very tempted to mix race gas for some added zing but i've been down that road before and got tired of it.

Klotz Flex Drive trans oil made no difference in shifting, which bummed me out ... and the CS seal looks to be leaking again. not cool.

fun times regardless!

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

This thread reminds me that I dropped my 450 off with my mechanic a few weeks ago to do yearly type stuff. Lazy.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

yikes...didn't realize too high of a spring rate would blow through the valving...hoping a swap gets you back into a tunable range

bummer on the trans oil

what are you looking to achieve w' the jetting? more "power"?

glad you're getting out on the regular! ride n tune

yikes...didn't realize too high of a spring rate would blow through the valving...hoping a swap gets you back into a tunable range

bummer on the trans oil

what are you looking to achieve w' the jetting? more "power"?

glad you're getting out on the regular! ride n tune
    haven't tuned + tested again yet but my thought is that with my lighter weight, stiffer springs and soft woods valving, things are out of wack. pretty confident the front will be back in order after springs and dialing back in some compression ... shock tuner said to ride it 2hrs or so then recheck sags. i increased preload a bit last ride which prob highlighted the springy feel, we'll see. first ride def felt different, mellow trails only, wasn't as pronounced. i've experienced this before though riding at diff spots so it's a condition i need to learn to tune for ... would be great to lock in a few clicker settings i prefer. goals

yeah, i'll prob just stick with the cheaper Honda oil but i'll still give the Klotz some time. i have these annoying hard down shifts under load sometimes, or hit neutral trying to go up. only in the lower gears, like the trans gets jammed up ... i forgot about running ~40ml less oil for better feel, gave that a shot last season but refilled this time to OEM spec, which might be related to the CS seal leak (?)

yes, more torque off idle > 1/4 throttle by going up another step on pilot. the RK head requires a ton of fuel, i went too far testing the stock needle and various jets last season, way too rich and blubbery ... the JD blue needle with +2 pilot / +3 main has been working out great, just curious if a bit more fuel will increase torque even more. simple test.

hoping to get out Friday again.

Beta 200RR

hibernation has begun (ignore green grass, was WHITE!) .. .

- repack silencer
    - clean filters
    - fresh fluids
    - check compression
    - swap a shitload of parts
    - post for SALE

-----

update from season ... tweaks worked out mint, i went fatter on the pilot once again, ~2T out on AS and bike had mad, mad power all season, like nuts for this size motor. incredible low end for climbing, zingy top end for rippin' connectors. so much love.

- Honda trans oil works just fine
    - went back to .44/5.4 springs, much better
    - took more preload out of forks
    - dropped fork oil height again, more improvement
    - 14/48 gearing is purrr-fect for my usual terrain

- current spec:

- RK Tek 0-4K, 91 pump
    - 0.2mm base gasket, 1mm squish
    - 93 pump, 40:1 Amsoil Interceptor
    - NGK iridium plug gapped to 0.5mm
    - JD Blue 4th clip pos
    - 42 pilot
    - 178 main
    - AS 2
    - 14/48 gearing

---
    now to tear it down and swap over some goodies to this mofo mid-Jan

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

Really liking the red white and blue on the new Beta’s. Hot bike and congrats, can’t wait to see the build on this one

Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    Really liking the red white and blue on the new Beta’s. Hot bike and congrats, can’t wait to see the build on this one
    thanks, Mark! the new Race Editions are super hot, so excited to see it next month!

it's another 200 so i'm thinking i'll do most of the same mods, motor hasn't changed much except for PV style and different head ... i've been real happy with the RK Tek head once i got jetting dialed in ... will either just swap head + carb over OR i won an Apex Tech head with XC cut that i'd love to try in comparison.

for suspension, really look forward to testing out the KYBs but i'm going to send the forks and both shocks to Aaron at AMP for some tuning. the mods i had installed in the '19 shock last winter (Lainer comp adjuster, high-flow piston, low friction band) will swap over to the new unit. length is different from '19 > '22 otherwise i was going to just swap the '19 shock over as well.

bummed i can't swap the PC Shorty over, diff subframe mount, but i'll try the Scalvini. those stock silencers are BAZOOKAS.

Beta 200RR