Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Appreciate advice on buying dedicated track bike and getting into track days

Appreciate advice on buying dedicated track bike and getting into track days

After a 7 year hiatus from riding (having 2 kids) last year I bought myself a street bike (Duc 848 Limited Edition) thinking it would satisfy my cravings. After one track day experience in 2012 and visiting the track this past weekend, I am wanting to spend much more time at the track. My dilemma - I don't want to take my street bike on the track and I'm feeling lots of heat from my wife on getting a second bike and not being around.

I figure my immediate out of pocket costs are:
    $2700 Track day bike - found a 2001 sv650 already setup for racing
    $500-$700 good suit; new Alpinestar on STG
    $500 track dedicated helmet
    $250/day for track time
    I have a trailer so I don't think I need anything else. Do I?

Has anyone else had to wrestle with whether or not to "take the plunge"? Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Re: Appreciate advice on buying dedicated track bike and getting into track days

I am wrestling whether or not to take the plunge as well, but I am about to just dive in. Already have a suit, my Arai will suffice as a helmet, and am looking for a dedicated track bike as well.

Something about the track entices me, and I regret selling my SV a few years ago. My immediate out of pocket costs would be the bike and a trailer of some sort. I find that I am going faster and faster on the street, and I feels as though the track will give me what I'm looking for.

Where on the Seacoast are ya?

Last edited by sveesix; 04-30-13 at 12:40 PM.

Re: Appreciate advice on buying dedicated track bike and getting into track days

Save $1700 and buy http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...500-TRACK-ONLY. If I wasn't already halfway through a build (and still have a desire to make it streetable) I'd have trouble staying away from that.

Why a dedicated track helmet?

Back protector required for some organizations.
    How are your boots and gloves.

Get more vacation days

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

get the track bike.
    buy a cheap used suit.
    buy a helmet that fits you best. I use scorpion they cost about 200$
    if you plan on doing a lot of TDs, buy a membership.
    Contact Tony from Tony's Track Day and/or Degsy from BoMo if you need more details or ask any of us around here.
    you can find the schedules and cost of TDs on this forum.

Heck by an Ex500 all track ready for like $800! and save more money. You .can still have a blast on a cheap raracebike.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Thanks for the responses. I'm in Hampton. Nice bike. I can't stop thinking about this.

Jasnmar - boots and gloves ok. I'll let you talk to my bosses re: vaca days.

Wirelessly posted

If you are only doing nhms you can by an ex or that gs but honestly man for track days and any other track you want an sv or 600 or a bigger twin is a better choice.

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

I had almost the same path as you - 6 years away from riding, bought a street bike I like a lot, did a track day, and got hooked but also didn't want to continue to risk throwing my nice shiny CB-1 down the track rubber side up.

So I got the Hawk for a track bike, and your costs are pretty much spot on, since there's no insurance, registration costs etc. If you need to spend the night, factor in camping / hotel costs. Also, back protector $80-120, high quality boots $200-300, high quality gloves with hard knuckles $100-150. I use my regular $110 Scorpion helmet and feel perfectly confident in it. Repairs are probably going to be more frequent with a track bike. Also factor in tires.

I don't regret a damn thing. I can rest easy knowing the Hawk can take a few scratches (already been down once) and just enjoy the track day. And if something does happen to it that needs repairs, the CB-1 is still sitting in the garage at home ready to ride.

I think you will fid the majority of the people riding the track have had this same question. General consensus is to get a dedicated track bike. But, a well set up street bike that you don't mind dropping isn't a bad choice either. Personally I would be very cautious about bringing any bike with high value to the track but a cheaper street bike like an SV is reasonable.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Quote Originally Posted by NH848 View Post
    I'm feeling lots of heat from my wife on getting a second bike and not being around.

I don't think I need anything else. Do I?

Has anyone else had to wrestle with whether or not to "take the plunge"?
    Haven't seen any replies regarding family harmony. Better get it square with the family first, it's not worth relationship trouble or kids that never see you. On the other hand, unhappy Dad is not worth it either. I see the jealous looks from folks that wanted to and never did!

Regarding needing other things, how large a line of credit do you have? This "hobby" seems to snowball quickly. Get the best protective gear you can (or you'll buy cheap stuff THEN the good stuff) and seek professional instruction. Then actually do what they tell you. Don't worry about a fast bike, skill, gear, and practice are where it's at.

Yeah, I spent years on the fence about whether to do trackdays, after the first one I would have paid ten times the price, and should have done it twenty years ago!

Just don't go racing, that's for nut jobs.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

necessities are: back protector, gloves, boots, gas can, ramp, helmet fan, surge protector, ear plugs, tie down straps, fold up chair.

luxuries are: compression shorts and long sleeve shirt, tall socks, hand tools, stands & warmers, EZ Pass, fluids (wd-40, cleaner, plexus, brake cleaner, etc), spare parts (pegs, levers, clip-ons), air line hose and nozzle, sun screen, zip ties, shower stuff

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

multiply your numbers by 2 cause shit will always cost more

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by NH848 View Post
    Has anyone else had to wrestle with whether or not to "take the plunge"? Any advice is much appreciated.
    No. Never, ever crossed my mind.

Fer serious, these guys have it covered.

I'd buy Shep's bike.
    I'd buy one of these suits. (Actually, I did, last year.)

From Hampton, I'd take Rt 4 and dodge the tolls on 93. Look at that, I just saved you from the EZ-Pass on Jim's list!

Most of us have been in your shoes, or a similar situation before. All great advice on here so far.

Question: Do you ride on the street a lot? I'm asking because I know I'm not the first person that rode on the street... was bit by the track bug, tried to hang onto both, but the more riding I did on the track, the less I did on the street and eventually sold the street bike to supplement racing.

Do what makes sense - but you won't regret more track time!

Also - for some crazy reason, I've been able to race these past few years without a helmet fan. I wish Jim would have posted the essentials awhile ago!

~that which doth not kill me can only make me stronger~

LRRS / CCS - #103

Quote Originally Posted by tsanterre View Post
    Also - for some crazy reason, I've been able to race these past few years without a helmet fan. I wish Jim would have posted the essentials awhile ago!
    i have a checklist of items that i keep in the NOTES on my phone.
    i could post my entire list, but i was just putting up the essentials from the top of my memory.

EX 105

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I'd buy Shep's bike.
    I'd buy one of these suits. (Actually, I did, last year.)
    Oh and if your umm large like me I'll toss in a Fieldsheer set of leathers.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

Quote Originally Posted by tsanterre View Post
    for some crazy reason, I've been able to race these past few years without a helmet fan.
    Is a helmet fan like a groupie or umbrella girl? If so I need to get one.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Quote Originally Posted by carsick View Post
    Is a helmet fan like a groupie or umbrella girl? If so I need to get one.
    both very necessary IMO. and i dont even have a helmet fan...

Appreciate advice on buying dedicated track bike and getting into track days-image-jpg
    I actually already have the umbrella girls.

Thanks for the advice all!

Helmet fans are small fans you buy at Walmart for $15. When you take your sweaty helmet off from a session, you out it on the fan to cool/dry it down.

EX 105

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

welcome, i dont live to far from you.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Probably. They're all the same. Just something cheap at Walmart that's bigger than the bottom of your helmet

EX 105

Pretty much all good advice here. I just really want to emphasize the importance of a helmet fan. If you can't get yourself a good helmet fan, don't bother going to the track.

LRRS #313

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast