Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Track Day question

Track Day question

Well, first let me say if this sounds dumb please let me slide. I have looked at the track days sites out there but keep seeing memberships and it is not cheap....

So can someone explain the actual costs for a first day? I am probably just over looking it but probably just confused at this point.

I want to do a first track day this summer. What kind of costs are there besides the actual track day price. I do not want to pay 400+ bucks for a membership, I am just looking to try it out and get some experience without having to be a member, if it works that way.

Any advice would be good, thanks

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Track Day question

Things that I can think of off the top of my head are ; food/drinks, hotel/camp out, transportation (i.e. gas, trailer rental etc), gear rental (if you need it).

You can always keep an eye out for the trackday auctions here on the forum which can be had for pretty good prices sometimes (~200-250 avg).

track days are like drugs though.....addicting as hell and brutal on the wallet.

2021 Ducati Panigale V2
    2020 Honda Grom

yes you can buy just individual days. Other costs are all the gear required, but you can rent that from a couple places if you don't wanna buy it just yet. Tires in good condition and some other small things that are dependent on which group you're gonna ride with. A hose clamp for your oil filter is one such item. Otherwise you'll just need lunch and some gatorade or water.

all the normal stuff, gear, tires food ect. got it.

So if you buy just a track day you do not need a memebership? what about enrollment dues or weird stuff like that?

Nope, just the cost of the day.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by jtryz View Post
    all the normal stuff, gear, tires food ect. got it.

So if you buy just a track day you do not need a memebership? what about enrollment dues or weird stuff like that?
    The premium memberships to me are sort of like a season lift pass at a snowboard/ski mountain. Basically if you buy the pass it benefits you if you go often, but not so much if you only go once or twice. I'm sure Deg's/Scott or some other of the TD junkies will chime in on this too.

2021 Ducati Panigale V2
    2020 Honda Grom

cool, thanks for all the help, just a little confused about it all. Great to know.

appreciate it all

I hope to see you out there.

Coughbostonmotocough

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

If you are looking just the cost for trackday from the track organization provider you should be looking $200-250 for a day.
    That's just for you to be able to get in the track

Travel and lodging are the biggest cost for me... Then again I have to drive 4 hrs to get to the track. At a beginners pace, there aren't many extra costs provided you keep it upright. Once you become a regular, that in and if itself is expensive, but you'll find yourself spending $$$ on tires, more frequent maintenance, parts ( and other adjustables) and better gear.

Watch for auctions here come spring time. Some track day providers will auction off track days and there can be some savings there. If you have an enclosed trailer you can camp in that at the track. You'll save some money and get to meet some cool folks hanging out after hours. Travel is my big expense, coming from Vermont, but I offset that by doing two days back to back. The back to back days allow me to take my time on day one working with the instructors and determining what I need to work on. Day two is a quicker pace but without the day one jitters. Above all have fun!

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

wow, tons of persoanl and open feedback. i appreciate everones advice. really allot.

My leathers are a two piece zip, Frank Thomas, boots are sidi and gloves are frank as well.

My hemelt tho is not what i would want at the track nor would it probably be good for one, can you rent helmets. Gross yes but i dont care.

I've never heard of renting a helmet but I wouldn't ride street with a helmet I wouldn't ride track with. Buy a new helmet and spend the 200 for a day and if you need some help or track support just ask. From bike transport spare tires or just help loading and unloading track people are very willing to help each other out especially a first timer.

Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    I've never heard of renting a helmet but I wouldn't ride street with a helmet I wouldn't ride track with. Buy a new helmet and spend the 200 for a day and if you need some help or track support just ask. From bike transport spare tires or just help loading and unloading track people are very willing to help each other out especially a first timer.

Help abounds at track days.

my helmet is Icon I bought the bike. so 5 years. It is over due for a new one.

just my opinion but i'd rather save up to buy a new helmet than rent. Since your helmet is 5yrs old it'd be in your best interests to just buy a new one anyway for the safety factor.

2021 Ducati Panigale V2
    2020 Honda Grom

I think 5yrs is the cut off point for most trackday organizers. Buy a good quality helmet (ie not a auto parts store mini bike/go kart $40 hat) What trackday organizations did you look into? There's a couple on here that are highly recommended.

It is usually 5 years and I'm not sure about trackdays but lrrs and other race orgs do not allow some shell materials, degsy or oreo will chime in I'm sure.

Here is a good run down for TTD events.
    http://www.tonystrackdays.com/catego...reparation.htm

Quote Originally Posted by jtryz View Post
    wow, tons of persoanl and open feedback. i appreciate everones advice. really allot.

My leathers are a two piece zip, Frank Thomas, boots are sidi and gloves are frank as well.

My helmet tho is not what i would want at the track nor would it probably be good for one, can you rent helmets. Gross yes but i dont care.
    most providers also work with organizations that offer parts and gear so you will be able to get pricing and a good variety of helmets as well.
    which frank thomas suit do you have? I happen to have a one piece myself.
    Just like everyone else said be prepared to get very addicted and plan ahead (about finances) because you might end up doing every single track day remaining after your first one.
    Let me know if you need anything else, depending on where you coming from someone else or I might be able to help with transportation or anything..

Let me suggest the 'Intro Program' with Boston Moto. Includes tons of track time, class room sessions, and a ratio of 1 instructor to 2 riders on the track. Its a great way to bust your cherry.

(And yes, like sex, you'll want to do it over and over...!)

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    It is usually 5 years and I'm not sure about trackdays but lrrs and other race orgs do not allow some shell materials, degsy or oreo will chime in I'm sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rada View Post
    Here is a good run down for TTD events.
    http://www.tonystrackdays.com/catego...reparation.htm

With this we would not like to have anything older than SNELL 2000 or 2005 and not have any major trauma. 2000 may become obsolete for track use as the new standards are out.

I would recommend that you do not get a helmet that has a plastic shell. Select something with a composite material. i.e. fiberglass, Kevlar, or other materials for the shell. Spend time trying different helmets on. All companies have different shapes and sizes. Find the one that is right for you and forget about the $.

I had an HJC. I loved them, until go t and Arai. The padding (I did not know it at the time) broke down fairly quickly on the HJC. With the Arai, I've had it for 4 years and the padding is in still nice tight/snug on me. I am retiring this helmet from the track and will continue using it for the street. Also look for something where you can remove all of the liner. Washing this regularly will help with the helmets longevity especially after a track day. The sweating you do up there is pretty nasty. The sweat salts and oils can break things down over a long time. + You will be more refreshed instead of putting on a nasty helmet on. Your girl will like you for

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

You will never regret spending good money on a good helmet. Even if you never do trackdays again, you'll have a good helmet for the street.

You'll need a back protector, they can be had cheap used or you could borrow one to do your first trackday.

Do NOT rent a helmet.

Boston Moto/Tony's/Fishtail/Penguin/etc all offer good trackdays at NHMS. Find a date that works for you and see who offers one nearby.

Bomo/Tony's/Penguin all offer instruction for first timers that would be advisable for you.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Everything has pretty much been covered, but I'll just touch further on the TTD programs.

Option 1 - buy each day individually and it's $225 per day. Do this if going less than 6 times per year.

Option 2 - buy 6 trackdays and get a discount (6-pack special). Do this if you want to do exactly 6 trackdays this year.

Option 3 - buy a Membership, and then save $100 off every trackday. Do this if you want to do more than 5 trackdays... up to the 14 we're offering.

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Lets get some advise on gear Please..... I appreciate all the feedback but with a family I have to plan way in advance to buy anything new... lol REALLY

So suits, I have the Frank Thomas 2 peice
    THESE are a newer so i am the older model but simlilar, they do zip together

http://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/p...night-jean/858

http://www.frank-thomas.co.uk/index....et-black.html#

BOOTS
    Good shape, soul is a bit worn from abuse but good shape
    http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=3107

Gloves
    HAS a small hole in the palm, I have worn them in pretty good.....
    http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...s-rage-gloves/

with the helmets, i know a new one is needed. I will try some out. I like the advise about wind screens but , i guess the question should be, what will a track not except? Certian brands, material and ratings to look for. Thanks. Do not want to buy a new helmet, feel all good, then the track says NO. That would suck..... I really want this
    http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...-2-Helmet.aspx
    But my wallet started to laugh. Thats not good....

what about
    http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/s...+helmet+-+2009

http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/PR...D-02-40285-rbc

anywhere in Boston that carry's alot of choices?

Last edited by jtryz; 01-09-12 at 10:45 AM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast