Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

How to buy bikes out of state?

How to buy bikes out of state?

I am looking to buy a Tuono Factory and very limited to local only. Has anyone ever done a fly & buy legally with Insurance? If so, how did you go about it. Insurance Co's I've talked to said it can't be done in Massachussetts, that I would need to buy,obtain Title, register and Insure and then I could fly out to ride it back. I know shipping is an option also but was looking forward to the adventure of it all.

Thanks,
    Paul

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: How to buy bikes out of state?

Does Mass not do temp plates?

Pay for the bike, get title sent and register it. Then go get it. Mass doesnt do temp plates.

Bruce
    2007 VFR800 25th Anniversary
    2003 Honda RC51

What Bruce said. The alternative is to rent/borrow a truck and get it. That's what I did when I got a bike from VA.

depending how far away the bike is from you shipping may be cheaper, going rate is about 550. from the major carriers.

2006 RC51/RVT1000R - 1993 Yamaha TW200
    Past. 2000 RC51/RVT1000R *1308 - 1989 CBR600F1 'Hurricane"

I would ship it also. The other option maybe to have it paid for (assuming you're working with a dealer) have them send you the title, and fly out with the registration/plate. Or if its a nice place worth visiting, fly there, overnight the title back with prefilled registration/insurance forms and have a buddy do the running for you, and have him overnight the plate/registration back to you.

I bought a car once in Fla. when I lived in Ma. , What I did was called my insurance agent ,told them I was buying a car , gave them the car info, they faxed certificate of insurance , then I went to the Fla. registry and got a transit plate, temporary registration, drove it home put permanent registration on it when I got home.You can insure anything it does not have to be registered to insure

Last edited by vintage ex race; 01-19-11 at 08:57 PM.
    many a biker have been ruined by a wife and a full time job

Quote Originally Posted by vintage ex race View Post
    I bought a car once in Fla. when I lived in Ma. , What I did was called my insurance agent ,told them I was buying a car , gave them the car info, they faxed certificate of insurance , then I went to the Fla. registry and got a transit plate, temporary registration, drove it home put permanent registration on it when I got home.You can insure anything it does not have to be registered to insure
    Done this before, too. In Maine you need proof of insurance for a transfer/temporary plate.. fuckers.

Quote Originally Posted by mycirus View Post
    Pay for the bike, get title sent and register it. Then go get it. Mass doesnt do temp plates.
    It is a private seller & not a Dealer so there is the whole trusting someone you don't know to not screw you out of 9 grand. I agree it is safer to deal with a cycle Dealer but I don't trust any of them to be honest about the bike I'm trying to buy.I once bought a bike that was crashed and the dealer withheld that bit of info from me deliberatly. With a private party you can get a true sense by talking to them and photos that the bike was well maintained. Anyone delt with a private seller and had a smooth transaction and had bike shipped to them?

Quote Originally Posted by vintage ex race View Post
    I am not sure it works that way anymore. I was looking into purchasing a bike from a dealership in NH and they told me that the transfer plates only worked within NH. As soon as I crossed over to MA, it would be void and I could be ticketed.

Well it doesnt really apply to your case but I almost learned the hard way. Make sure 100% that you have your paperwork in order and no special papers are expired. When I went to register my used 87 ninja with no title from RI (RI DMV doesnt give new titles for old bikes), I had paperwork from the RI DMV that said it wasn't stolen and it was cool for me to buy it. The part that I didn't know about when I went to register the bike in CT was that the paperwork I had from RI was 70 days old, and it technically expired after 60 days. I told them that I was getting the bike road worthy and I didn't realize about the expiration date. The head lady at that branch ok'd it but one of the employees was not to thrilled.

So just remember have all paperwork in order!