Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Anyone ever buy a salvage title rig? Nice Triumph

Anyone ever buy a salvage title rig? Nice Triumph

Between an '02 and '06 Sprint who has owned both and what did you notice?

This is getting interesting, I'm all set to pick up the '02 but saw this and the guy will take $2,900, which is less than the '02 I put money down on.

http://maine.craigslist.org/mcy/2133165996.html

Better pics here go to page 12.

http://argocycles.com/Browse.php?fla...StartPoint=200

Yah I know all about CW and salvage bikes however I talked with the guy John who owns EC cycle (he gave it to Argo to sell) - he picked it up last year from a guy who probably got it at auction, he was saying the guy who bought it thought he could fix everything and got frustrated, and sold it cheap, come to find out it was just 2 bad plugs and bad fuel in it. He thinks the total was because the bags and the top fairing got busted, then add in that right fairing which has scrapes and some other scrapes on the tail and voila! you have a "total" but a perfectly fine machine.

But he says nothing is wrong with frame or engine, I will check to see if we can run a VIN check on the servicing.

I'm not sure if I like it *more* than the '02 but I can get it for $200 less (of course it does not have heated grips so there goes that $200 ) and it has serviceable tyres while the '02 bands are singing their last song. I dunno.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Anyone ever buy a salvage title rig? Nice Triumph

Hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like the rear subframe may be bent upwards. I would approach with extreme caution. Actually, I'd probably just buy the bike you were originally looking at.

Edit: definitely doesn't look right. Compare the pic from the Argo Cycles site to a publicity shot. Looks like the subframe is bent upwards a few degrees.

--mark

Last edited by markbvt; 01-19-11 at 07:53 AM.
    '20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Yah you're probably right, although it could be an optical illusion because the point of focus is different in the two pics. I would have one of my friends who can build a bike in a day look it over first anyway.

Plus there is the moral obligation to the first seller, I tend to operate that way. Would be different if I had just put a deposit on it yesterday but in fact it has been like a week or 10 days.

Peace.

PS: Now if this guy had called me back, that's a different story.....
    http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/mcy/2160714869.html

Last edited by KingCast 650R; 01-19-11 at 08:44 AM.

Verdict: It's a pass. Too itchy scratchy.