Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Bad news for Offroaders in MA

Lifer

Unhappy Bad news for Offroaders in MA

House Bill 1909 is up in the MA House of Representatives...

If passed it bans all new 2-stroke off-road sales for dirtbikes, snowmobiles, ATVs, Jet Skis, and motorboats.

Anything bought new before June 1st, 2004 will be able to be resold.

Ben

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

why da hell they do that ?

Everybody to the limit!

Originally posted by needabike
    why da hell they do that ?
    Cuz 2 strokes are dirty.

Does this bill ban all two strokes? or impose stricter emissions laws? I konw that Ski-doo/Bombardier have built a two stroke snowmobile engine that runs clean enough to meet emmissions laws through 2008 I think.

'04 600RR

yeah its called a four stroke. Bombardier just put Ski - Doo and Bombardier Groomers on the FOR SALE market.

All the guys are doing 4 strokes, some with turbos to get with the program.

Of course Yamaha proved that they could build a sled with some nut with the RX1 in a 4 stroke. Course its 10g's though.

2001 RC51!!!
    2007 Husky SMR 510 - no longer... blown tranny

If this is true, most likely won't pass 100% without some revisions, to much income for the economy to do it..

My dad says he use to have a 2 stroke bike and that 2 strokes accelerate a lot faster than 4 stroke bikes . . Is this true ? , if so they should make more 2 stroke bikes , so I can get one

Everybody to the limit!

Originally posted by needabike
    My dad says he use to have a 2 stroke bike and that 2 strokes accelerate a lot faster than 4 stroke bikes . . Is this true ? , if so they should make more 2 stroke bikes , so I can get one
    Two strokes make more power than the same sized four stroke, because you have a power stroke twice as often. In a four stroke you have an intake, compression, power, and exhaust stroke. So you're only driving the cylinder 1/4 of the time. In a two stroke, you're driving the cylinder 1/2 of the time.

The downside is that because they lack fully defined strokes, you tend to a) puke some of your fuel mixture down the exhaust, b) not compress the fuel/air mixture as well, and c) lose some of your power to blow down the exhaust port. All of this makes them dirty and inefficient.

So sure, you could make a two stroke lighter than a four stroke, which would let it accelerate better. But I'm not sure how well high output two strokes function...and besides, do you *really* need more acceleration? My EX500 would match most sports cars for acceleration, my ZX6 could out accelerate most all of them, and neither of these are bleeding edge sportbikes. Ask JC what his 12R there does, and then ask yourself "do I really need more acceleration than that?"

If the answer is yes, perhaps you should consider strapping a JATO turbine to your civic and heading out to the desert. Just make certain you have a sufficiently large (and gaudy, gaudy is key) wing on the back, the last guy who tried this suffered from a severe lack of downforce.

I have a four stroke dirt bike Yam WR250 and its got plenty of balls .

In fact there are more and more 4 stroke bikes on the racing scene and they are just as competitive as the 2 strokes. basically it comes down to the rider.

From what I understand the 2 strokes are already planned to be fazed out by 2006 anyway. the manufacturers are going to go all 4 stroke by then anyway. I don't see why this bill is so important if they already plan to get rid of them on their own.

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650
    09 Yamaha WR450F (street legal)

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    08 Yamaha WR250F(street legal )
    09 KLR650

The semi-sad truth is this bill will pass....just not yet. There is alot more affected than just your motorcycles. Generators, chainsaws, jetskis, blah blah blah. What it does is set the stage for the future. I have some mixed opinions but ultimately I think it is a good move. More pressure on the manufacturers to boost the R&D. One only needs to take a looksie at Yamaha's thumpers to know performance is pretty damn good already. I say the law has faults because it doesn't appear to a phasing process. What do you think the market value of that nice new racey sled will be next year when the law takes effect (if passsed)? It has implications for alot of industry but untimately I feel it will yield better advancements in four-stroke tech.

'95 ZX7/9
    '02 XR650R
    '78 KZ1000