Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Boots

Boots

I'm finally going to be picking up a set of boots in the next few months, and I'm wondering what people here recommend. My only requirements is that they need to be wide (since I have big feet) and above the ankle. I also would like to stick to roughly $200 or so.

I happened to stumble over the Cortech Latigo Air Road Race the other day, and for $140 they seem like a bargain. Anyone ride with these?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ace-Boots.aspx

Any other suggestions?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Re: Boots

I dropped the coin for some Sidi Canyon Goretex two years ago. They are much more "substantial" than a lot of the other boots i've held.

My requirements were:

Weatherproof
    Some ankle/shin protection
    Soles with decent traction on dirt/gravel
    Not massive like an enduro boot

So far I'm completely pleased.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Tex-Boots.aspx

Zero water in them, including doing the "stand in a stream" test.

Bit on the spendy side, but worth it for an all-around solid boot. I think I got mine for about $270.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

I should add that I'm more concerned with air flow than weatherproofing. I rarely ride in the rain as is, but my feet get hot pretty quick.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

I have wide feet too and fit perfectly into TCX boots. They are on sale everywhere online.

Quote Originally Posted by NPDCPA View Post
    I have wide feet too and fit perfectly into TCX boots. They are on sale everywhere online.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I just found a set that sound like an excellent compromise between sport and touring, and should fit my wide feet well.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tcx-s-sportour-boots

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Caveat - I buy all this stuff myself, not pimping for anyone.

How wide are your feet?

I wear 12EE and tried a ton of boots. Even the boots that people say "ran wide" like Alpinestars weren't even close. Most MC boots use European lasts that are narrower in front than US lasts. One TCX fit guide notes "We find the fit of TCX boots to be “roomy” through the instep and ball area of the foot so the boots will work best for those with wider/thicker feet. The overall width of the boots is D or E."

Unless you go to police duty boots or something, I've found three "real" MC boots in wide widths and have owned them all.

Sidi Mega Way Rain - Cheapest at $250. Waterproof but not much protection. I returned them.

Sidi Vertigo Mega Goretex - comes Goretex lined for $400. Tall, racing-oriented boot that is comfortable enough to wear for street riding.

Daytona RoadStar GTX. CE armor, Goretex lined. Pretty comfortable to walk in and not too hot to wear for a while indoors. $410.

Last edited by Garandman; 02-01-12 at 11:49 AM.

I have found the sidi cobra airs for around $200. I think these are the one I'm going with. http://www.motostorm.it/en/details.a...Sidi-Cobra-Air

2011 ducati 848 evo
    2007 gsxr 1000 totaled
    2003 cbr 954 sold
    2001 cbr 929 sold
    2003 rc 51 stolen
    1993 cbr 1000 gave to a friend
    1990 cbr 600 blew the motor

Quote Originally Posted by Dukaki848 View Post
    I have found the sidi cobra airs for around $200. I think these are the one I'm going with. http://www.motostorm.it/en/details.a...Sidi-Cobra-Air
    I've read in numerous reviews that SIDI's generally run narrow.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by Dukaki848 View Post
    I thought that was an hell of a deal on those boots, but then I saw that they want $60.20 for shipping.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

I ride in these: http://www.altama.com/products/4156-...-mil-spec-boot Made in the US, rugged, light, comfy, come in outrageously wide sizes, and keep my feet cool in the heat. Got mine for 40 bucks on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    I ride in these: http://www.altama.com/products/4156-...-mil-spec-boot Made in the US, rugged, light, comfy, come in outrageously wide sizes, and keep my feet cool in the heat. Got mine for 40 bucks on ebay.
    How do they hold up in rain?

I used to ride in Danner Fort Lewis boots (GoreTex lined combat boot) but found they leak through the front after about 30 minutes. On a long trip that just sucks.

Here's a pic of the Sidi Mega Way versus the Daytona RoadStar, a legendary boot.

Last edited by Garandman; 02-01-12 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    How do they hold up in rain?
    They are not even remotely waterproof. I wear boot covers when it rains. Got them at MotoMarket. I wear glove covers too. Thus far, I have found that leather boots and gloves that are sold as waterproof don't stay that way for long. Covers make that problem moot.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    Being a former Marine, I already have 2 pairs of those.

They work well as work boots, but I wouldn't want to crash test them

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

I crash tested the Daytonas. That's why I won't cheap out on boots anymore. $410 is a lot less than a broken ankle.

40mph get off on I95 after a Honda Accord hit me from the side in a construction zone.....

I'm damned glad I wasn't wearing conventional welted boots, or my foot probably would have been trapped under the bike. If you start researching crashes you'll find foot and ankle injuries are both common and severe. Good MC boots make a big difference.

Last edited by Garandman; 02-01-12 at 04:27 PM.

Piggy backing on this thread. At the point where I am realizing wearing Timberlands aren't going to give me the protection I need if I go down.

In the market for boots. Street purpose. Looking for full boots, don't like the motorcycle "shoe" styles. Don't care about whether they are waterproof or not. Looking to spend <$250.

Give me some ideas.

Last edited by Kazinator; 03-26-12 at 02:00 PM.
    '02 F4i

I wear a pair of Alpinestar SMX-5 Boots.

Had'em for over a year now. They have broken in, but are still rigid enough to provide decent protection in a crash. I currently ride 100% street.

I have wide feet, and thick calves, but I can still tuck my pants into them.

Only gripe is that that the sole does not cover the entire bottom of the boot, so if you walk alot in them, you will wear down the toe area a little bit.

They are at the top of your budget (about $240) but they are well worth it. I replaced a cheap unarmored pair of touring boots with them and I'm never going back.

I have wide feet and was thinking of getting a pair of these.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...ace_boots.html

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Kazinator View Post
    At the point where I am realizing wearing Timberlands aren't going to give me the protection I need if I go down.
    Now I get to show my ignorance: Why? What's wrong with a well fitting boot that goes over the ankle? Why does one have to buy a motorcycle specific boot to get protection? At what point are we looking at diminishing returns?

I'm a decent guy. (Usually.) No need to go to town on me with some passive agressive fun. Just set me straight.

I wear a pair of Timberlands when I ride. I'm about to get a new pair because I have worn the old pair out and get a pretty considerable discount on 'em, they are comfortable, and I can wear them around work.

My only problem has been wearing them out. I blew through my current left boot because the shifter falls just behind the steel toe cup. The steel actually wore through the leather. Damned shame too 'cause they were decent looking boots.

Edit...oops. my bad. I read way too fast. Carry on

I have an older pair of Alpinetars boots, SMX-4 and they work quite well. Comfortable, and they actually move air pretty good. They don't look like they would due to 2 vents per boot...but they do. I'd have no trouble trying the next gen of that boot if my current ones needed to be replaced. Also, I got the SMX-4's in 2005. If I cleaned the graying off from rubbing aluminum rear sets / heal guards, as well as the bug guts, you'd never guess they were used, let alone approaching 7 years old. I got mine for $200, free shipping.

Last edited by Slyder; 03-26-12 at 04:57 PM. Reason: duh

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Now I get to show my ignorance: Why? What's wrong with a well fitting boot that goes over the ankle? Why does one have to buy a motorcycle specific boot to get protection? At what point are we looking at diminishing returns?
    The $200 alpinestars mentioned in my previous post are going to keep your ankle from exploding. The $30 Herman Survivors from walmart, well, when the DR's get done putting said ankle back together (or amputating it)...yea. Just don't.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post

I'm a decent guy. (Usually.) No need to go to town on me with some passive agressive fun. Just set me straight.

I wear a pair of Timberlands when I ride. I'm about to get a new pair because I have worn the old pair out and get a pretty considerable discount on 'em, they are comfortable, and I can wear them around work.

My only problem has been wearing them out. I blew through my current left boot because the shifter falls just behind the steel toe cup. The steel actually wore through the leather. Damned shame too 'cause they were decent looking boots.
    I'm with you this one, I'm sure there's better protection to be had, but I figure the combat boots I've been buying for years are pretty rugged and I've never had a foot injury in the 6 times I've been down on a street bike, or countless times I've been down off-road. I already spend enough money on shoes every year from all the walking/hiking I do now...

The shifter wears out my boots as well.

I've seen a few mentions of alpinestars in this thread. I rock SMX-plus, they fit perfectly on me and I consider myself to have a normal size foot...so if yours is extremely wide, I don't think they'll work out that well. Doesn't hurt to try on a pair though.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    The $200 alpinestars mentioned in my previous post are going to keep your ankle from exploding. The $30 Herman Survivors from walmart, well, when the DR's get done putting said ankle back together (or amputating it)...yea. Just don't.
    This. A good quality motorcycle specific boot is going to offer you much more protection than a work boot. At 200-300$ for years of use it's well it's well worth the investment.

TCX gets my vote for wide feet.

'02 SV650 street|woods|race LRRS #128

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast