Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Bouncing around the idea of selling the RC51 and getting a plated dirtbike

Bouncing around the idea of selling the RC51 and getting a plated dirtbike

I bought my 2003 RC51 in 2008, so I have had it like 13 years now. Just turned 40, have kids, live on a dirt road, don't ride it much any more etc.

I have no desire for any other streetbike really other than a KTM RC8R, but they are pretty rare, and with the amount I ride, I don't think I can justify the cost.

I could also go with pretty much keeping the RC51 forever. It is an amazing bike, modded the way I like it, and it doesn't owe me a damn thing.

However, my 6 year old son is a dirtbike fanatic. I have been riding a 1980s DS80 we have WAY too much lol, I am 6'4", 250 lbs. So, I have been kicking around buying me a bike.

I'm not sure a bike would get ridden a ton, we have maybe 8 miles of trails here and thats about it, I'd never take it to a track.

Now Im kinda considering a plated bike, that way it gets ridden a little more, and if I ever want to ride on the street I still can.

craigslist bikes I am considering: (by considering, I mean the few bikes i can find on craigslist)

I had a yamaha XT225 plated and a ATK 605DS plated before so I am aware of the downfalls of dirtbikes on the street. ( I commuted from outside 495 into boston on 90 on the XT225 a couple times lol, that SOB would do 80)

https://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/d/rye-...296528573.html

https://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/d/cole...287826943.html

https://boston.craigslist.org/sob/mc...293181757.html

https://vermont.craigslist.org/mcy/d...296884811.html

Kinda leaning 2 stroke for light/simple

But I have ridden a yamaha 450 and a couple honda 450s and was pretty happy with them.

Thoughts from you people who know much more about dirtbikes than me?

It would be a mix of dirt roads, steep rocky technical garbage, mud, and puttering around the lawn with my son on the 50 until he moves up to the 80.

Maybe just keep the RC forever and get a cheapish dirtbike.

It should be noted that if I ever sold the RC, Im pretty sure I would never buy another streetbike, I dont do cruisers.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by xrocket21; 03-29-21 at 07:30 AM.

Re: Bouncing around the idea of selling the RC51 and getting a plated dirtbike

KTM 500 exc.

There's also that KDX 220 for sale here.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmycapp View Post
    KTM 500 exc.
    link to one for sale?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    Ive seen it, but basically trading my 2003 street bike for a 2001 dirtbike doesnt sit well with me. I figure I can get $3,500-$4,000 for the RC in this market?

Last edited by xrocket21; 03-29-21 at 08:09 AM.

Nope. But they're great bikes. And you're not exactly tiny.

https://freedomcyclenh.com/Motorcycl...9-abe3001b0d1e

Quote Originally Posted by jimmycapp View Post
    Nope. But they're great bikes. And you're not exactly tiny.

https://freedomcyclenh.com/Motorcycl...9-abe3001b0d1e
    Thanks for the advice! That is one thing I love about the RC51, is it actually fits me great!

edit: watching youtube reviews... they look pretty sweet!

edit: hmm, it would be like $150 / mo and my $140/ mo sled is pretty much almost paid off....

edit: is it worth $2k more than a honda?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by xrocket21; 03-29-21 at 09:37 AM.

He’s too big for a KDX. I’m too big for a KDX and he’s got like 3 inches on me. It’s a 7/8th scale dirt bike.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Lifer

Can i call dibs on the 51? Ive been looking for a nice one for a while.

A lot of people have said the CRF450L/RL is a fantastic bike.

And FWIW, I'd use Facebook Marketplace to look for used bikes, not craigslist. Ever since CL started charging for vehicle ads, the platform became a ghost town for motorcycles.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

How much street do you plan on doing? the bikes you posted would really only be good for hopping from trail to trail, but they're incredible off road. I've got a WR426 that I plated thinking i would use it to ride around town, but its absolutely terrible on the pavement, so I keep it on offroad duty only.
    However, I picked up a DRZ400 this year and it's fantastic as a 50/50 kind of bike. I've never enjoyed a single bike in such a wide variety of conditions before.

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    Can i call dibs on the 51? Ive been looking for a nice one for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    A lot of people have said the CRF450L/RL is a fantastic bike.

And FWIW, I'd use Facebook Marketplace to look for used bikes, not craigslist. Ever since CL started charging for vehicle ads, the platform became a ghost town for motorcycles.
    don't have / won't have facebook

My sister in law lives a quarter mile away and owns a 19 or 20 450L and I have ridden it.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtDawg21892 View Post
    How much street do you plan on doing? the bikes you posted would really only be good for hopping from trail to trail, but they're incredible off road. I've got a WR426 that I plated thinking i would use it to ride around town, but its absolutely terrible on the pavement, so I keep it on offroad duty only.
    However, I picked up a DRZ400 this year and it's fantastic as a 50/50 kind of bike. I've never enjoyed a single bike in such a wide variety of conditions before.
    Not interested in a DRZ.

I would lean more toward a dirtbike thats street legal than a true dual sport. I dont ride on the street much, but it would be nice to go on a cruise every now and then to scratch the itch. Id take it to work a lot which is like 15 miles.

If this bike will be seldom used, I'd go with a 450 and deal with the maintenance as it comes. Sounds like you won't use it much, but when you do at least you'll be happy.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

On craigslist theres a less desirable 2002 SP1 RC51 with 30k miles for $7,900 and a clean 2006 SP2 with 2700 miles for $12,500....

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    He’s too big for a KDX. I’m too big for a KDX and he’s got like 3 inches on me. It’s a 7/8th scale dirt bike.
    I forgot how spacious the seating is on an RC51.

About 2 years ago a member was selling his first year RC51 with like 8k miles for $3,500. I still think about not buying that bike.

Called freedom cycle a couple times today, no answer

Hypertarded

it's a motorcycle shop thing, they closed on Mondays

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    My sister in law lives a quarter mile away and owns a 19 or 20 450L and I have ridden it.
    And?

I have to believe that is the bike for you. Or a similar plated enduro. Something with some fire breathing MX DNA in the mix.
    IIRC Maine is fairly flexible in this respect, so you should be able to plate almost anything. No need to stick to factory plated stuff.

I'm riding a WR450F and I get it. For short hauls it is exciting as hell. Great fun for easy-ish double track.
    I would not want to do techy single track all day. For that I'd want something lighter.
    Nor would I want to travel on it. For that I'd want something heavier, less aggressive.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    About 2 years ago a member was selling his first year RC51 with like 8k miles for $3,500. I still think about not buying that bike.
    I know a guy in FL with a rebuilt title one that seems to be in great shape for 2500. My wife will actually murder me.. but man do I want it.

Quote Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
    it's a motorcycle shop thing, they closed on Mondays
    lol, my bad, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    And?

I have to believe that is the bike for you. Or a similar plated enduro. Something with some fire breathing MX DNA in the mix.
    IIRC Maine is fairly flexible in this respect, so you should be able to plate almost anything. No need to stick to factory plated stuff.

I'm riding a WR450F and I get it. For short hauls it is exciting as hell. Great fun for easy-ish double track.
    I would not want to do techy single track all day. For that I'd want something lighter.
    Nor would I want to travel on it. For that I'd want something heavier, less aggressive.
    I think you're right, I'm pretty sold on it at this point

Then you're all gonna have to hear about how much I regret selling the RC

I forgot how spacious the seating is on an RC51.

cant tell if sarcastic or not? The RC is perfect for a tall person, its a long reach to the bars.

I am in the rare camp that I don't mind hustling a 450 MX bike through the woods, I'm a big fella though. Seems to be pretty common theme for guys who don't mind doing it.

I will say I rode mine back-to-back with JC's new 250XC and the difference in gyro and engine braking were astonishing. When I get ready for a new dirt bike, it will likely be a 250 2t, but I'm happy to love the one I've got for now.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast