Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

California kicks ass

Everybody to the limit!

California kicks ass

Yeah, it really does. I just got back from sacramento, took the red eye and landed at 10am so I don't really feel like working all that hard today, so I'm gonna ramble about riding in california, which I'd never done before.

First off, the roads are insane, at least in Sacramento. Corner upon corner, big sweepers, tight 15mph signed switchbacks, it's a total playground. And the cars are courteous and whatnot, they actually pull to the side to let you by! What a concept!

Oh yeah, and lanesplitting, very very cool. We got stuck in what would have been 3-4 hours of traffic on interstate 80 due to what must have been one hell of an accident. Instead, we were out of there in under an hour by splitting the centerline, passed miles and miles of cars. And you know what? Most of them actually waved to us, moved to let us pass as much as possible, and just didnt' seem at all upset that we were passing them. Try somethign like that in boston, you're liable to get a car door in the face

The heat wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. We headed out from sacramento to lake tahoe and then to reno, lake tahoe was actually quite temperate and reno was hot but it was a dry heat. Still got a pretty nasty sunburn, but I should have known better, my own fault on that one.

Anyway, just wanted to share my first experience riding west of the rockies, and if you haven't had the chance to ride out there, find a way, it really is quite the experience.

Oh and many thanks to Elaine for letting me come out there and graciously riding bitch with a 60 pound backpack for 500 miles on that uncomfortable plank of an F4i backseat while I zipped around the countryside on her bike. After such a selfless act, I guess you'll be wanting to ride the ZX6R for the october trackday, huh?

Oh yeah, I'm real sorry about that f4i engine, I think I can fix it though, don't worry, I'll send you some new sparkplugs

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

California kicks ass

sac town must be different than san diego i didn't feel safe in my truck. 4 lane highways everybody doing 90 mph. i glad you had a good time though.

California kicks ass

you gotta go check out the areas around san fran if you ever get the oppurtunity...
    i rented a bmw 1150 out there for 5 days while i was there on business a year or two ago.
    i couldn't get enough of it. absolutely freakin fanatastic.
    i actually appreciated the grip heaters when the sun went down too.

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

Lifer

California kicks ass

rt 9 in san jose

California kicks ass

Originally posted by elaineo
    how is that different from new england?

hey oreo, where in SF did you ride to? i'm actually gonna ride to the bay area this weekend and will probably check out some of the roads there
    all over the place between san fran and monterey on the PCH and roads east of there... and then north into wine country.
    the best parts were the redwood forests and on the north side of the city... the marin county hedlands.... not too long but very technical, just beware the lost tourists crossing into your lane!

i'll see if i can find the maps tonight when i get home, i just saw them the other day. then i can get you some actual route numbers.

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

California kicks ass

Let's see... results are coming in... yes, yes,....
    You Suck!

Forgot something out there didn't you??

Chris J.
    "You're going the wrong way!!!"
    "How does he know where we're going?"
    03 Aprilia Tuono, 06 Yamaha R6, 16 Yamaha XSR900, 13 VW Touareg

Northern Cali..more rulely than the "Southland...."

Lanesplittin is legal in CA.
    Whacky I think, but then again, their lanes are wider? and they drive by braille...... ...... ......... ........ ......... ......... ........
    -Suf Daddy

Oh yeah, and lanesplitting, very very cool. We got stuck in what would have been 3-4 hours of traffic on interstate 80 due to what must have been one hell of an accident. Instead, we were out of there in under an hour by splitting the centerline, passed miles and miles of cars. And you know what? Most of them actually waved to us, moved to let us pass as much as possible, and just didnt' seem at all upset that we were passing them. Try somethign like that in boston, you're liable to get a car door in the face

Suf Daddy.

Lifer

California kicks ass

Lane splitting is NOT legal in california. It's considered lane sharing. You cannot ride on the lines, you are allowed to share the lane with cars. There isn't a law that permits it, it's more no law that prevents it. The reason they can do this is because motorcycles can ride two side by side in a lane and by court precedence, it has been tolerated that this law can be interpretted and applied to a motorcycle and a car. You will still get a ticket for crossing the lines or lane-sharing unsafely.

California kicks ass

I wish I had my motorcycle the last time I was in LA. The roads out there are amazing. And best of all, it only takes like a half hour or so to get to them (depending on where you are).

No potholes, little traffic, and decent riding weather. It's a compelling argument for moving there.

Yup.

Lifer

California kicks ass

Originally posted by Cam_In_RI
    , little traffic,

California kicks ass

Hey Oreo,was just wondering where and how much ya paid for a rental in CA, im heading out the 15th for a week out to LA, and driving up the coast with the family, but if i can ride it......hmmmm..... ..let me know....thanks

Lifer

California kicks ass

Go to www.bayarearidersforum.com there are a couple guys on that site that have sportbike rentals. Great group of guys.

Everybody to the limit!

California kicks ass

Originally posted by Jankster
    Let's see... results are coming in... yes, yes,....
    You Suck!
    Hey, there's daily flights from Logan, we could make it an NESR field trip. Knock over a motorcycle dealership when we get out there then it's only 900 miles to Mexico and FREEDOM!

Forgot something out there didn't you??

Hmm?

California kicks ass

Originally posted by Honclfibr
    [B]Hey, there's daily flights from Logan, we could make it an NESR field trip. Knock over a motorcycle dealership when we get out there then it's only 900 miles to Mexico and FREEDOM!

Hmm?

Ok! Here's the plan... I'll go in first and point up into the corner and yell "Look! Dead bird!" And when everybody looks we just hop on the bikes and ride off... Perfection!

Chris J.
    "You're going the wrong way!!!"
    "How does he know where we're going?"
    03 Aprilia Tuono, 06 Yamaha R6, 16 Yamaha XSR900, 13 VW Touareg

California kicks ass

Originally posted by hessogood
    Not on those canyon roads. I did Ortega Hwy, Mulholland Drive, and Topanga Canyon, and I almost had the road to myself - in the middle of the day.

Too bad I was in a funky Cavalier rental.

Yup.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

California kicks ass

Originally posted by hessogood
    rt 9 in san jose
    Saratoga to Santa Cruz One of my favorite roads. 132 up Mt Hamilton from Alum Rock Ave. in San Jose and over to Patterson is awesome too.

California kicks ass

just got back from San Francisco...took Oreo's advice and rented a BMW 1150R from DUBBELJU in San Fran, service was great and they set me up with some sweet roads...All i can say is if you plan on going out there head south from San Fran towards Santa Cruz and go to Pascadero Rd. Talked with some locals at Alice's diner, i guess at any point during the weekend there can be anywhere from 100 to 300 bikes in the parking lot. There were about 18 to 20 sportbikes when i was there, almost everyone had full suits on...it was a blast.....Pascadero Rd is incredible about 30mi long and just left and right sweepers, the road was smooth,no cracks, nothing. Have some video, but was in the lincoln rental with the family ill try and put some of it up.......thanks again for Oreo for the info made my trip that much better

Lifer

California kicks ass

Originally posted by stoinkythepig
    Saratoga to Santa Cruz One of my favorite roads. 132 up Mt Hamilton from Alum Rock Ave. in San Jose and over to Patterson is awesome too.
    Before the job fell through I had a lease to sign on Mt. Hamilton Rd.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

California kicks ass

Originally posted by ducatiwheelie
    just got back from San Francisco...took Oreo's advice and rented a BMW 1150R from DUBBELJU in San Fran, service was great and they set me up with some sweet roads...All i can say is if you plan on going out there head south from San Fran towards Santa Cruz and go to Pascadero Rd. Talked with some locals at Alice's diner, i guess at any point during the weekend there can be anywhere from 100 to 300 bikes in the parking lot. There were about 18 to 20 sportbikes when i was there, almost everyone had full suits on...it was a blast.....Pascadero Rd is incredible about 30mi long and just left and right sweepers, the road was smooth,no cracks, nothing. Have some video, but was in the lincoln rental with the family ill try and put some of it up.......thanks again for Oreo for the info made my trip that much better

Good for you!!!

I am glad it worked out so well!!!!!

I think I stopped at that same diner (its the one with a big driveway and a gas station too, right?! i might be thinking of a different one) when i was out there too and hooked up with a great group of riders that showed me even more roads and fun loops. I found all the other riders out there to be really nice and fun to hang with. They were so laid back! Not like us east coasters at all!!!!

California kicks ass

How much was the bike to rent?

Yup.

California kicks ass

$130 for the day! I thought it was a great deal, the shop takes really good care of the bikes. FWIW i would of paid more......i just wanted to ride........

California kicks ass

Sounds like a lot of fun!

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486