Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Chain Question

Littering and........

Chain Question

I am trying to swap the chain on my DRZ; I had a chain for dirt use, and one for street use.

This is my first endeavor into fucking around with chains. It sucks.

The problem I am having is that my master link seems to be too wide for the rest of the chain? I can't get the clip to slide on properly, and if I squeeze it on there too tightly, the link binds up.

Is there a lot of difference in chains, or are they pretty universal? The master link doesn't seem to be very much wider, if at all, but it makes a click when it goes through the front sprocket housing.

Any advice would be great appreciated.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Littering and........

Chain Question

Easy, not all at once.

So...I got a new master link clip at the hardware store, and went for a little ride. I was pretty psyched, because I just installed a new exhaust, rear spring, and did a little airbox modification, and I wanted to see how the bike rode.

I rode over to a friend's house who immediately noticed that the master link was creating a big kink in the chain. We tried to fix it, but the damn link wouldn't come out, so we put it back and I rode the bike home.

The goddamn motherfucking cocksucking sonofawhore master link WILL not come out of the chain. I have successfully ruined this chain trying to get it out.

I now have to find a new chain, get the old one off (bolt cutters ), learn how to put one on (since I am told it requires cutting some links out of the chain), and safety wire and otherwise prep my bike to leave for VIR on Friday. Oh yes, and I have to fit in a 40+ hour week this week as well.

Chain Question

LOL lots of different size chians Chris. Sounds like your finding that out.

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

Chain Question

Master link at a hardware store?

I'd say buy a master link made for the same model/size/brand as your current chain. Should fit then. If you are trying to put a non-0-ring master link on the o-ring chain then it could be mis-sized.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Littering and........

Chain Question

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Master link at a hardware store?

I'd say buy a master link made for the same model/size/brand as your current chain. Should fit then. If you are trying to put a non-0-ring master link on the o-ring chain then it could be mis-sized.
    I just needed the clip from the master link, not the whole link itself.

I damaged the links adjacent to the master link by being too rough. I don't think I have enough chain to cut two links out....can I buy individual links?

This is the first project of this size I ever did on a bike, and I have to admit, it was fun right up to the part with the chain.

Chain Question

What happens is that when you squeeze the faceplate of the master into position, it bends easily. You need to apply force only at the ends, not in the middle. Once bent, the link will bind as you need to squeeze the everlivingshit out of it to get it on. You likely bent the backplate as well making the master difficult to remove.

I might have some 520 links in my shop. Do you want me to look? You would need to get an extra masterlink to use a replacement section of chain.

Paul_E_D

Chain Question

Chris you crack me up!!!

Go buy a new chain yo. Get one that has the clip style mater link. Call me!!! I will give you the home owner special tips how to get it back to 100%.

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Littering and........

Chain Question

Quote Originally Posted by rmbbikes View Post
    Chris you crack me up!!!

Go buy a new chain yo. Get one that has the clip style mater link. Call me!!! I will give you the home owner special tips how to get it back to 100%.
    I'm a retard and have lost your number for about the 6th time. PM it to me again, please?

Littering and........

Chain Question

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    What happens is that when you squeeze the faceplate of the master into position, it bends easily. You need to apply force only at the ends, not in the middle. Once bent, the link will bind as you need to squeeze the everlivingshit out of it to get it on. You likely bent the backplate as well making the master difficult to remove.

I might have some 520 links in my shop. Do you want me to look? You would need to get an extra masterlink to use a replacement section of chain.
    Is it safe to use more than one master link in a row?

I'm actually pretty stressed out about getting this POS together before Friday. I have no idea what I'm doing. This sucks.

Chain Question

The only thing standard about a chain is the center to center distance and the diameter of the rollers.

Everything else would be specific to that manf.

1/2 the time the links have a logo or initials that would help you figure out who's chain it is and or stock.

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

Littering and........

Chain Question

I just spent $85 on a new Regina chain. With its own stupid master link.

Hopefully will be all set tonight.

Chain Question

Quote Originally Posted by highsider View Post
    I just spent $85 on a new Regina chain. With its own stupid master link.

Hopefully will be all set tonight.
    do this and you should be fine

master link at a hardware store lol

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    From my experience, its the natural red heads (aka gingers) that have no soul--- I mean are crazy.

Lifer

Chain Question

It's all about the quality of your rivet tool.

I had a bitch of a time getting my DID chain riveted together.. then I found the $150 (IIRC) DID tool on the web which makes it a 2 second affair for their chains. It was enough of a PITA that I may eventually buy one.