Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Convert International bike to US 49 state conformance

Convert International bike to US 49 state conformance

Anyone transfer a bike from an internationally titled bike to US? Looking to scoop up a bike from an international traveler and want to see if I’ll be splitting hairs or if the deal he is giving me is worth the headache.

Bike is a KTM 1190 adventure R for reference.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Convert International bike to US 49 state conformance

It's all the work to import the bike, minus the shipping stage it sounds like. Talk to someone like Steve at Speedwerks in Deleware as he does this sort of thing for a living. The painful part will be the age of the bike, that machine is too new to get in under the classic rules so you'll have to fully document it's DOT/EPA compliance.

Lifer

Not worth it and you can't do it yourself. You will need to re import it and have it converted to DOT specs by a company that specializes in such things. It ain't cheap.

I briefly read about this a while back; iirc, it’s more difficult if it’s a model that was never available for sale here in the US. You need to get a letter from the OEM saying that this model meets US emissions regulations. It’s easier if the exact same model is available for purchase here in the US… but in that case, it’s probably easier/cheaper to just buy one that’s already here.

It’s also easier for an owner to import it to the US when moving here, as opposed to a buyer trying to import it from a seller outside the US.